• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings from Brooklyn

kabensi

Hi.

I'm 34, a female writer and a filmmaker, and I'm bordering on a self-diagnosis.

Maybe a month ago, I was firmly in the camp of, "Eh, I don't want to just self-diagnose. I'll just read about it." But with the reading comes more realization that a lot of these things sounds like me. It's actually something I've been dancing around for several years and I'd take the AQ questionnaire. I've consistently scored a 28.

Anyway, I'm here to day hi and share a little about myself. I actually just emailed my dad to tell him I'm looking into all of this and he's the first person in my life I've really explained all of this to.

So, some of the stuff I know about myself:

I have a severe aversion to spoken telephone calls, sensitivity to sound (particularly repetitive sounds that have no mathematical structure, meaning I'm more apt to be able to tune out bass thumping but not hammering), abstract thought, the compulsive need to write a.k.a. hypergraphia, preference for specific rules, difficulty understanding the motivations of others -- or what I like to call my "this is highly illogical, Captain!" kind of viewpoint, preference toward solitary activities rather than group social interaction, avoidance of eye-contact in social situations, general clumsiness, obsessive behaviors and hyper focus in specific areas of interest -- in this case, it's always been media, from books, to television, to film -- to the point of memorization of facts and details, preference toward self education -- more of that reading and learning music, extreme shyness -- particularly in early childhood, even to the point of selective mutism (for example, when I took my kindergarten assessment test, I had to be asked yes or no questions so I could respond with head movement instead of speaking). I also have what's referred to as "visual snow" and I was diagnosed with "complicated migraines" at age nineteen.

If I had to pick a fictional character who best represents how I feel about things in life, most of the time, it would have to be a cross between Abed from Community and Ben Wyatt from Parks and Rec. But, you know, a lady version. :)

Welcome to AC. Enjoy our humble abode. Its nice to see another female join we have had quite a few in the last few months its nice. So welcome welcome. Kick off your shoes we won't bite...well much :)

Welcome to AC. Its so awesome you are a writer and a filmmaker. It has always been my dream to write a novel or screenplay. Now I am looking more at a novel, but I have a really hard time focusing. Anyway, welcome. I hope we can be of some help and support to you.

New Threads

Top Bottom