• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings, earthlings

Wintertime

the ghost of this place
I am a woman from Canada in her 40s and I have been semi-officially diagnosed. Two physicians and a therapist said that I have ASD. I also have ADHD as well. I wasn't diagnosed with any of this until relatively recently. Kind of a life changer. Maybe I'm still reeling a little.

I love music, very, very much. It is my fondest passion. Listening, and creating. I love science, art, am a semi-retired video gamer, and a long time internet 'nerd'. I am a writer, actually in various ways a very creative person. Also, I have a very active sense of humour (see- thread title). Its been a long time since I've made an introduction thread so forgive me if I made any faux pas.

Thank you for having me and thank you for reading.

Hi Winter and welcome,
Think you might have the wrong planet, cos im pretty sure none of us are from this planet. A retired gamer, who loves music and a great sense of humour. Sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship.
Cheers
Turk

Sev- I like your signature. Kitties are the best.

Turk- Phew. Instrument failure, you see. I was scared I might have landed back on earth. Horrible place, that. ;)

King_Oni- Thanks. I think I've already liked one of your posts- in a music thread. I saw 'drum and bass' and sighed with relief. Electronic lover here. Vocalist and also interested in production. I -totally- understood your post there.

Haven't gone round much of the rest of the forums yet but plan to tonight, have only seen that one thread so far. Of course I would trot right off to a music thread first. :D

Really, thanks so much, everyone. I don't think I've ever felt so welcome on a website. And it is -really- appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
King_Oni- Thanks. I think I've already liked one of your posts- in a music thread. I saw 'drum and bass' and sighed with relief. Electronic lover here. Vocalist and also interested in production. I -totally- understood your post there.

Well then... I suppose we'll get along fine, hehe

Hi Winter! I am from Canada too, and sometimes it does feel like I'm from an ice planet somewhere. I was diagnosed this year, and I've learned that it's really common for women to be diagnosed much later and less often than men. We seem to be able to "blend in" a little better. Most of us went through hell as children so our diagnosis is often a relief. I know now what made me strange and unable to fit it. I'm also into music and was a soloist until my anxiety disorder got so bad I couldn't leave my apartment. What kind of music do you love? Are you still performing?

MoCoffee- Hail and well met! I am in southern BC and it snowed today. I was thrilled. If you're from the east coast, you might laugh at me and that is to be encouraged. :D

Now, onto the Serious Business. *ahem*.

As for women- yes, that seems true. In much of the literature that I've come across, women are far less prone to receive diagnosis, when we do it is late in life (mine started with the eye contact thing), and we do present at least a bit differently than men do (as far as I've read). Most of the study seems to have been male centred. There are many good blogs for women out there. I just wish the world would get on board and get current. It hasn't been easy.

I have heard the term 'mirroring' mentioned a lot with respect to female aspies, and that is exactly what my entire life has been- I only called it 'when in Rome' syndrome before I had investigated Asperger syndrome. I literally cannot comprehend how most NT people conduct their social activities and behaviour. I'm just blank. So the only option I could use to function in these social situations, was to do what everyone else was doing, act how everyone else was acting. And when bits of actual me still came out, it didn't usually go over very well. It hurt. The bewilderment was probably the worst part.

But yes, my diagnosis was a relief as well. It took the onus for my being 'out of step' off of my shoulders, in a way. The diagnosis set me free, free from trying to force myself into the confining expectations of NT 'being', and consistently failing to do so. Bit like teaching a fish to ride a moped. Now, I can be more myself (hoping, anyway) and swim the depths. Strength in numbers.

I have not been able to perform since choir as a teenager. Too much performance anxiety. I have generalized anxiety as well, and have a bad case of 'impostor syndrome' meaning that I am unable to internalize my talents or accomplishments (few though they are) which doesn't tend to facilitate confidence when performing in front of people. Lifelong struggle. I keep trying. I literally could not self-assess if I was any good at singing, it sounded pleasant to my own ears but I know that other people hear things differently. I needed other people to give me an objective assessment and they seemed to like it, so that worked out.

I love a lot of different music in a wide range (I just made a pretty lengthy post in a music thread a few minutes ago, eek) but I like electronic music the best. That's what I sing for. But I am also very fond of certain types of jazz, classical, 50s-70s era (but not the pop songs, more tunes that were underappreciated in their time) and many, many others.

What do you like musically?

Last edited:
MoCoffee- Hail and well met! I am in southern BC and it snowed today. I was thrilled. If you're from the east coast, you might laugh at me and that is to be encouraged. :D

What do you like musically?

I'm not from the east coast, but my city is in Northern Ontario right near the Great Lakes, so we get a lot of snow, and if it isn't snowing it's freezing! Of course it isn't winter all year. We also have mosquito season, black fly season and hunting season. lol
As far as music goes, I have done musical theatre, choir, small group and solo church music, and have had some classical training. I wish I could still do these things. I really miss it. Too bad we couldn't sing together. :)

Do you have hobbies?

Hiya, Winter! *inhales*

Ohmigoshyou'reawriterandagamerandyoulikemusicandscienceandartandstuff!

Er, that is . . . I'm always glad to meet a fellow wordsmith. Welcome. :)

Vanilla- Hi! :)

Ereth- You're speaking my language. Likewise and thanks! :D

MoCoffee- Ha, yes that would be the part of this nation that has real winters. It is snowing again today and I'm soo excited. I'm sorry you can't participate in those activities anymore, I hope that situations will change someday and you could have that back, I know how happy singing makes people and you should be able to do what makes you happy. It would be fun to sing together.

I have hobbies, yes. Lots of 'nerd' ones like video gaming, and I like classic horror, Frankenstein, zombies, Dracula, etc. so I guess I have made classic horror into a hobby. Which is related to another hobby I plan on picking up soon, making dioramas. Lots of other stuff too but I can't think right now. Mostly reading and researching, and creating, artistically. I used to build computers but got really bored and tired of it. But I might have to make a new Frankenputer anyway soon, my laptop is definitely tired and I just hope it lasts till end of April when I can get a new one. And you?

Aww! Thank you Rocco. So colourful and vibrant. I feel honoured. :)

Gosh, this brings back memories. I'm not even sure if I'm the same person these days. Retrospective musings...

*edit- And the funny part? I'm still using the same laptop :D

*crosses fingers she makes it for another few months*

*can't take another f'ed up hdd with bad sectors, aughhh*

Last edited:
Nanu Nanu Winter !! I see you have also come to study the primitive culture of these Earthlings.
I have commenced a sociological & anthropological study, there appears two be two classes.
The larger being very stupid and spending most of their time sending digital message to each other :eek:, the second much smaller class, seemingly the intelligent class, actually getting things done. :D
I believe they are called Ass Pees. Most strange. Enjoy ! :p

New Threads

Top Bottom