• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Got anything good to read on hypervigilance?

Gerontius

V.I.P Member
So Wikipedia might have bailed me out again. I found an article on hypervigilance while searching for sensory disorders.

I work on an heritage railroad (at least I think I do; the other week was rough) and I'm constantly panicking on the job. I'm panicking at home in my apartment. I am contemplating learning to carry an army revolver for defense against muggers. Tailgating drivers, hotel mattresses, being seen, and compliments on my apparel are a bit much.

And now I'm reading that people who get over their hypervigilance may not function in normal society. Not cool, but at least I know the problem now. I thought it was just "my autism" but it appears that it may be a matter of autism making me susceptible to this other stuff.

Anybody familiar with hypervigilance (the condition, not just being really aware?)

And a Wikipedia link for your convenience. Hypervigilance - Wikipedia

I’d like to know how to control it. It’s a part of me that has created barriers and contributed to ruined relationships.
Edited to add:
At present this book is helping me understand it. Though written from the standpoint of therapy for treating trauma, the information aplies to hypervigalence too, I think.

The Body Keeps The Score
by Bessel Van Der Kolk

The Body Keeps the Score

Last edited:
So Wikipedia might have bailed me out again. I found an article on hypervigilance while searching for sensory disorders.

I work on an heritage railroad (at least I think I do; the other week was rough) and I'm constantly panicking on the job. I'm panicking at home in my apartment. I am contemplating learning to carry an army revolver for defense against muggers. Tailgating drivers, hotel mattresses, being seen, and compliments on my apparel are a bit much.

And now I'm reading that people who get over their hypervigilance may not function in normal society. Not cool, but at least I know the problem now. I thought it was just "my autism" but it appears that it may be a matter of autism making me susceptible to this other stuff.

Anybody familiar with hypervigilance (the condition, not just being really aware?)

And a Wikipedia link for your convenience. Hypervigilance - Wikipedia
Definitely take vit b complex stay hydrated take potassium but get your level checked beforehand don't fight it conversely (if you even can )don't worship it Shabbat this means not just ceasing from your usual job but cutting off all of the stuff that stresses you it could mean walking for ten miles if it's not triggering you

@Streetwise The walking is great help, especially if away from having to worry about vehicles.
Doesn’t have to be 10 miles, but it does have to (for me) be about 1&1/2 hours.
I had to add in some running, in the middle of my miles, to get the hatural high of good brain and body chemicals. No drug can equal the positive effects of exercise.

Last edited:
@Streetwise The walking is great help, especially if away from having to worry about vehicles.
Doesn’t have to be 10 miles, but it does have to (for me) be about 1&1/2 hours.
I had to add in some running, in the middle of my miles, to get the hatural high of good brain and body chemicals. No drug can equal the positive effects of exercise.
But if you're depleted in another way it could damage

I’d like to know how to control it. It’s a part of me that has created barriers and contributed to ruined relationships.
Edited to add:
At present this book is helping me understand it. Though written from the standpoint of therapy for treating trauma, the information aplies to hypervigalence too, I think.

The Body Keeps The Score
by Bessel Van Der Kolk

The Body Keeps the Score
Resting it sends a signal to the primal brain that you aren't being pursued which then signals the adrenal glands that you don't need to run ,fight,freeze (which is where the hypervigilance begins) .

New Threads

Top Bottom