• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Got a job at Aldi!

DanPaladin

Aspie and nerd, greatest combination.
Finally!

After many months I got a stable part time job.

But what do you think, it's a manageable job for an aspie?

Someone here works or has worked there?

Last edited:
Finally!

After many months I got a stable full time job.

But what do you think, it's a manageable job for an aspie?

Someone here works or has worked there?
Congratulations! I think it is a very manageable job. How are you liking it so far? The nice thing about Aldi is that it is not a overwhelming shopping experience. It's a smaller store with less choice soi really like it. Hopefully your supervisors and managers will treat you with respect.

Thank you guys :)

Ops, it's part time not full time.

I only start 5/11, so I have some days to prepare, they say it's not easy, allot of hard work.

How did you get the job? Do you know someone who works there?

I applied to ASDA last week and got knocked back as soon as I declared being Aspie and having other disabilities.

I also had to say I can't work evenings or nights due to the time it would take me to get there and back on the Bus.

Last edited:
Well done mate :)
If Aldi in Oz is anything like Aldi in the UK then it is very hard work, but well rewarded. Their pay here is above average for the retail grocery sector and promotion opportunities seem good, but they expect you to work hard and across every area of the store. It's certainly good for experience and if you're happy to put your back into it you can do well and earn a decent wage. I briefly knew a couple of people who worked in Aldi UK and they loved it for the variety, the challenge and simply how much they enjoyed a good night's sleep after a shift :)

Congratulations! A new job can be stressful, so give yourself time to adjust. I think a place like Aldi would be great for anyone on the spectrum. It will have problem-solving on occasion, there is regularity of stock and storage, it's small enough to know all of the products, and there is constant activity stocking and arranging products. I think there is very little complaining by Aldi customers - you get what they have, and everyone knows that. You clearly impressed the management, so they certainly think you are the right person for the job. Well done you!

How did you get the job? Do you know someone who works there?

I applied to ASDA last week and got knocked back as soon as I declared being Aspie and having other disabilities.

I also had to say I can't work evenings or nights due to the time it would take me to get there and back on the Bus.

I would suggest you not to mention that you're an Aspie or have some other disabilities that don't influence the job that much if not necessary. It makes you less desirable as a potential employee. I don't say lie to them, definitely not, but if your disability doesn't have impact on your potential job(for example being an Aspie has no or little impact on simple physical work), better not to mention it. Otherwise you may be seen as demanding or just as too much of a trouble to work with.

We have 2 Aldi stores within an hour's drive from here. That's my favorite store! We still have to go other places for some things but we stop there first because the prices are the lowest and the quality is consistent and we can zip through every aisle and checkout in under 15 minutes. The staff is amazing. They know where everything is and they work fast. The customers really like all that, so they stay happy and don't get rude and angry. It pays well and if you are fast and efficient at the tasks, you can just do your work and not be bothered with the usual hassles. Management is on the ball and they do expect a lot of work from their employees and time the cashiers to a certain standard. If you like being busy better than standing around being bored, you'll probably like it a lot. I'm not sure if it is the same where you are but that's what I have seen here. Congrats!

Dan, I want to get a job in an ALDI distribution center. The starting pay is $19.10 per hour.

Have you heard positive stories and experiences of Aspies working there? Is it a good place for Aspies? Does it have a bully culture, either with employees to employees, or between employee and managers?

Dan, I want to get a job in an ALDI distribution center. The starting pay is $19.10 per hour.

Have you heard positive stories and experiences of Aspies working there? Is it a good place for Aspies? Does it have a bully culture, either with employees to employees, or between employee and managers?
The only way you will know is apply and see how you get on.

New Threads

Top Bottom