• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

good sounds.

Well now I like wind chimes altho I didn't before those are lovely Sportster. :rolleyes: Still playing as I type.

Actually wouldn't say my cat for this one she's a tad loud. Sorry babe. The purrs are nice though.
Started thinking of Paul Simon Hearts and Bones album I like that one and there's a line, 'everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance, everybody thinks it's true...'

Rain on the roof for that same childhood memories reason, growing up in Cardiff it rained a lot, ditto here in Manchester.

Waves breaking on the shore or even crashing onto the harbour wall and running back.

Next doors children laughing; the walls are pretty thick that's what makes it ok ;) and also the guy next door playing guitar and singing he's very good.

Another sound I like, which may seem odd to many, is the sound of a train off in the distance. Perhaps it has something to do with growing up in a trailer next to the tracks, but I've always found the sound relaxing. I recall staying at a hotel in Grants, NM many moons ago and I could hear the sound of the trains off in the distance as they passed through. The clickety-clack sound lulled me to sleep.

ASD moment... Every time I see a train... My mind goes to how the whole situation is just insane...
Hundreds of thousands of tons all running on 2 skinny tracks nailed to a bunch of boards, lined up on piles of gravel... I like the craziness of a helicopter flying inverted over this... : )

In my head the massive weight would spread the rails apart because the nails wouldn't hold in the wood, that wouldn't stay stable in the gravel... But I also know this has worked for over a hundred years now...
I have no want to ride a train, but the sound of one off in the distance, and staying off in the distance is a cool sound... : )

Wind chimes. There's something about the sound of wind chimes I have always enjoyed. Surprisingly, the set in the following video is identical to the set I have hanging on my front porch:

I also like windchimes, but have to try before I buy. some are very high pitched and tinny. The ones I have are pretty old and don't look the best, but I don't have them to look at.

I also like nature sounds, minus the cicadas.

P.S. mountain lions make that sound too? Barking owls do too. Horrible when you're camped out the middle of nowhere and you wake up to that. Sorry, happy sounds...

Last edited:
Birds - eg, rosellas, and lorikeets, even my friend the tawny frogmouth.
The sound of water on the side of my scull (not skull!) when dawn is breaking, it's quiet, and the jetski and tinnie drivers are still tucked in bed with a hangover.
Silence.
David Attenborough's voice.

Rocks rubbing together. Pink noise. A ticking watch. Rainstorms. The creaks and rubs from the pages of a book. Hard drives spinning up/down.

Mostly things I heard a lot when I was little, when everything was 'okay'.

I know what you mean. Shoppers probably thought I was insane when I picked out the set I have, as I would hold one set up after another listening to the tone until I found the set I liked. You're right about some being high-pitched and tinny. They also have some that are too deep and make a "BONG!" sound when chiming.

Oh yeah. I'd be looking to find one with a rich mid-range chime. Something mellow, but not tinny or sound like Big Ben. Gotcha. ;)

ASD moment... Every time I see a train... My mind goes to how the whole situation is just insane...
Hundreds of thousands of tons all running on 2 skinny tracks nailed to a bunch of boards, lined up on piles of gravel... I like the craziness of a helicopter flying inverted over this... : )

In my head the massive weight would spread the rails apart because the nails wouldn't hold in the wood, that wouldn't stay stable in the gravel... But I also know this has worked for over a hundred years now...
I have no want to ride a train, but the sound of one off in the distance, and staying off in the distance is a cool sound... : )
you don't know what you're missing with the old steam trains even older diesel trains it's lovely to listen to the clickety-clack of the wheels going over the rails .

Perfectly harmonised junior choiristers in a high ceilinged church/cathedral. - beautifully haunting.

Pachabels cannon on cello, acoustic guitar.

Rain and blustery winds, whilst I'm warm and dry inside)

Crackle and popping of a real fire.
(I'm thinking controlled, in a grate with a hearth not arson) :)

Thunder - the somewhat reserved British kind of thunder. A bit of a window rattle if the pressure and sound is really intense.

Jimmy McDonald singing his eye is on the Sparrow , Gregorian chant , anything played with a double bass. anything played with a concert harp.
Annies song -John Denver . anything sung by dusty Springfield ,Mahalia Jackson, shackles by Mary Mary .

thunder, cat purring, grass rustling, ocean waves, raindrops hitting various types of ground surface and other objects ....there are many more but those are a few of the ones I like.

And the Doppler effect....

Sometimes there's specific melodies or parts in songs I like. I'll just sit there replaying it. I also like the sound of shoes on hard surfaces. I noticed when playing Skyrim the sound the character makes while walking up or down the stairs is nice. Typing on mechanical keyboards is also soothing. I dunno there is a ton more I can't think about right now.

A laundromat including the smells. A boiler room. A woodstove with a roaring fire and the circulation fan. A pellet stove with the fans, and the periodic "tink" of the pellets as they fall. A campfire. The exhaust note of a GM 2.8/3.1 MPFI engine. A nice smooth fretless bass tone. Some of the 80s big name synthesizers, Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, OBX, DX7, but the most pleasing to my ears was the D50.

This thread prompted me to finally delurk and register, so I could say:

I've really enjoyed reading these responses, especially the very detailed ones. I have a lifelong interest (and academic career) in sound. Spending most of my time thinking about it for forty years makes it hard to pick a few specific favourites, but I'm very keen on softly reverberated background speech babble, like you might hear in a huge art gallery (Tate Gallery Turbine Hall is good), soft breezes through crinkly autumnal leaves still on trees, and busy street markets (though only when I'm up to tolerating lots of people).

I'd like to mention Peter Cusack's project Your Favourite Sound, which has been running since 1998. Peter is a sound artist who goes around asking people "What's your favourite sound?" He makes recordings of the sounds and (among other things) plots them on maps at Favourite Sounds (Click on 'projects' to find some possibile locations.)

New Threads

Top Bottom