• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good Move

I disagree. It's called acting. It's what actors do. Boys play girls, girls play boys, young play old, etc. Playing different races, accents, issues, is what acting is all about. This PC nonsense is interfering with creative expression. For David and Matt to apologise for being creative and funny? No, sorry, that's just plain wrong.

I disagree. It's called acting. It's what actors do. Boys play girls, girls play boys, young play old, etc. Playing different races, accents, issues, is what acting is all about. This PC nonsense is interfering with creative expression. For David and Matt to apologise for being creative and funny? No, sorry, that's just plain wrong.

From the BBC article ...'after the show said white cast members would stop portraying characters from other ethnic backgrounds...'

From the BBC article ...'after the show said white cast members would stop portraying characters from other ethnic backgrounds...'
Terrible decision.

Have you ever seen the film 'Gandhi'? Wonderful Biopic. It won 8 oscars. Ben Kingsley won best actor. Nobody would say Gandhi should've been portrayed by an Indian actor. There are many other examples.

Should someone playing Hitler have to be German?
Someone playing a Jew have to be Jewish?
Should someone playing an autistic have to be autistic?
Should a white writer be able to write about characters who are black?
See where I'm going with this?

Racism is an issue we've been struggling with as humans forever. There are laws and practices designed to eliminate it. They help. This however, is not helping. This is just wrong.

'Faith Brown’s horrendously bad taste impression of Caribbean cook Rustie Lee'

It Was Alright in the 1980s, review: Awkward hour of cringefully offensive TV
Oh I agree, sometimes things are not always in the best of taste (70's and 80's comedy especially). But comedy is a very subjective thing. Making fun of somebody for being black is not the same as making fun of somebody who is black. It is a slippery slope if we start to condemn what is and isn't funny.

Should someone playing Hitler have to be German?
Someone playing a Jew have to be Jewish?
Should someone playing an autistic have to be autistic?
Should a white writer be able to write about characters who are black?
See where I'm going with this?

Racism is an issue we've been struggling with as humans forever. There are laws and practices designed to eliminate it. They help. This however, is not helping. This is just wrong.

I think there could be arguments reasonably made to say yes to these points, your point is not made obvious by quoting these phrases, actually you sound pretty rigid on this issue. There's room for different takes on this, as on most issues, because people's experiences differ, so we need to listen and hear people who have different views from ourselves, I think.

I think there could be arguments reasonably made to say yes to these points, your point is not made obvious by quoting these phrases, actually you sound pretty rigid on this issue. There's room for different takes on this, as on most issues, because people's experiences differ, so we need to listen and hear people who have different views from ourselves, I think.
Of course. And this is just my view.
What is yours?

I think there can be a range of views on this, in a way that makes it unlikely to be seen the same by everyone, because we all have had different lives and experiences.

For this reason I would approach this type of issue firstly with a particular wish to hear the views of people to whom it is significantly relevant, and particularly if historically their views tend to have been not consulted, overridden or ignored. Listen and learn.

After such views had been fully consulted and expressed, I would then want to consider them, and whether my or other persons ideas or concerns would be the first thing I wanted to offer.

I listen and hear what other's take is, but, it doesn't mean I should change my views to suit them.
It's a learning experience of what people think on such matters.

I see the world becoming a place full of entitlements. That really isn't equality IMO.
I don't believe in making fun of different views, but, the world is getting like walking on eggshells
for fear you might say the wrong thing.
Talking things over is a good thing in a civilized manner.
Otherwise, some may think they should always be the ringmaster that commands.
Keep the playing field level.

I listen and hear what other's take is, but, it doesn't mean I should change my views to suit them
Exactly.
It's a learning experience of what people think on such matters.
True. If they have a view they should express it clearly, but be open to adjusting it if they come across something new that makes sense to them.
I see the world becoming a place full of entitlements. That really isn't equality IMO.
Agree completely
the world is getting like walking on eggshells
for fear you might say the wrong thing.
It is. And there's no reason to be afraid of disagreeing or indeed saying 'the wrong thing'.
Talking things over is a good thing in a civilized manner.
Absolutely. Otherwise we end up always arguing about who is right and who is wrong. Sometimes there is no right or wrong, but people get caught inside their own ego, combining it with an opinion, so that they cannot accept another perspective as it feels like they have to be wrong to do so.

The problem is, when they do portray black people in adverts etc, then black people accuse white people of being racist.

Although I am white, I do not see myself above other colour, for how I see it, is that we are all human and have the same body functions. I even envy black women. No need for them to get sun tans lol

I don't think white people should stop voice acting black characters or otherwise characters of other ethnicities. It just seems weird to me.

On occasion such considerations of artistic expression and historical drama can have great purpose.

"Black Like Me" (1964)

"Khartoum" (1966)

There's a difference between playing someone with a different accent, or age, and playing someone of a different ethnicity or other marginalized group. It's not per se the 'pretending' part that the problem, it's the way society has consistently marginalized and oppressed certain groups. Since society is finally starting to realize that equality is a beneficial thing for everybody, and comes in many forms, it's important that people of all kinds can see people 'like them' portrayed and represented in all sorts of media.

Not seeing people 'like you' in media of all sorts has the effect of making people who are not represented feel like either they don't really exist, or that it's not okay to exist the way they are. There's a number of articles and etc. on this. The one I read most recently is in the book Better with Books by Melissa Hart. Society is starting to finally go beyond 'portrayal' to representation.

There is also the issue about whether people who are not part of marginalized groups are able to accurately portray people of marginalized groups, or whether they distort the messages that are delivered. (not always intentionally). It's the same issue as in seen in qualitative research. When someone from outside a group does research on a specific group, there can be issues getting accurate information, and in portraying it validly. Someone who belongs to said group is more likely to be seen as more likely to represent that group more accurately, or to understand the issues more, and so may receive a warmer welcome. (and I'm simplifying an incredibly complicated concept).

New Threads

Top Bottom