• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good morning!

QueenMA

Just joined and wanted to say "hi"! I am 65 and just starting to explore this world. A couple of months ago my daughter, who is a pediatric nurse and manages several clinics including an autism clinic plus has an autistic daughter, told me she thought I might be autistic. At first I was a bit put off because all of my limited experience with autism was not positive (my granddaughter also has other issues and is globally delayed). But I started researching and the more I read/watched the more I recognized much of my life. I have now taken numerous online tests and they show from likely to probable autistic. I still am hesitant to claim the name but am unsure if I will ever go for an official diagnosis. I'm not sure I can handle the expense, though it sure would be validating for me. So thanks for letting me in! I look forward to reading and engaging here!

welcome to af.png

Hello and welcome! Your journey to the site already sounds very similar to many of the stories shared here. Being here and reading threads and posting your own can really grow your understanding of yourself and the unique way in which you may experience autism. It’s lovely to have you here.

Welcome! :)

I'm sure you will find a lot of stories to relate to here, and I hope you enjoy it and find the support you're looking for!

Welcome. I was diagnosed at 60, and at your age you are part of the cohort that grew up with no support or acknowledgement if we were intelligent enough or successful academically. Last year I started therapy for PTSD from long ago. Medicare has been paying for that, as it would also pay for your diagnosis.

Welcome. I was diagnosed at 60, and at your age you are part of the cohort that grew up with no support or acknowledgement if we were intelligent enough or successful academically. Last year I started therapy for PTSD from long ago. Medicare has been paying for that, as it would also pay for your diagnosis.
Medicare will? Do you know if I have to be referred for that? I have regular Medicare, not Advantage.

Welcome! It's never too late to start one's journey and better understand yourself and how you interact with the world.

These days there are a lot of online communities (like this one, which I've found super supportive) and sometimes also ones that do virtual and in person meetings, and so lots of different ways to build connections with others at various stages of their journeys, in whatever way works best for you.

Feel free to ask questions since it's almost certain that someone has "been there" before and might be able to help.

Medicare will? Do you know if I have to be referred for that? I have regular Medicare, not Advantage.
I am glad you have Medicare parts A and B. Advantage plans have been fraudulent from day 1, frequently denying coverage for things that original medicare covers. I also have a supplemental plan G. (Medigap coverage) This covers the difference in what Medicare pays to practitioners and what charges are customary. All Medigap plans must offer benefits defined by Medicare and there are several to choose from each offering different levels of coverage, but know that the only difference in same-letter plans is pricing, so for instance, if you choose plan M, all plan Ms will have identical coverage and your only choice is the pricing.

You do not need a referral and with Medicare and plan G, after the small yearly deductible, my therapy has cost me nothing.

New Threads

Top Bottom