• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

going

wight

Well, after 5 years, I finally can't take the ads anymore. 75-100 ads per page. Too much for me.

Ad Block Plus solved this issue for me, prior to getting vip membership. Somebody gifted the membership to me. Would be happy to pay it forward and gift it to you, if you'd like, if you haven't departed as of yet.

Last edited:
Well, after 5 years, I finally can't take the ads anymore. 75-100 ads per page. Too much for me.
Pay $10 one time, and you get a lifetime VIP membership. With it, you get no ads, and you can edit or delete nearly any post you've made at any time. You can also use the VIP forum.

Ad Block Plus solved this issue for me, prior to getting vip membership. Somebody gifted the membership to me. Would be happy to pay it forward and gift it to you, if you'd like, if you haven't departed as of yet.

Someone gifted VIP to me as well, and I also paid it forward for someone else. :)

Seriously, Adblock. If you dont want to pay for VIP or just cant... Just... get... Adblock.

Honestly even if you do go for VIP, get Adblock ANYWAY. Dont argue, just freaking do it.

It's REALLY easy. And it essentially fixes the entire freaking internet.

I'll put it this way: I dont see ads. PERIOD. Anywhere on the Net. ANYWHERE. Even on Youtube, which is basically like a freaking HIVE of ads these days (seriously, I consider Youtube to be outright unusable without a proper adblocker).

It's a bloody stupid problem that fortunately has an incredibly simple solution.

What really gets me though is that a lot of ad creators genuinely dont seem to be able to understand why people hate ads. I've seen some examples of that, and it just baffles me.

will you please give me a link for adblock for windows 10?

Try this:

Adblock Plus | The world's #1 free ad blocker

Note however that the default way to use this is to specifically use the Chrome browser... if you dont already have that, get it. I've used about a bazillion different browsers in my time, and that's the only one that I currently consider to be actually decent.

Though if you absolutely must use a different one, there are links on that page to get it for a different browser. Needless to say though, there's a reason why Chrome is the primary one shown there.

Note also that this is NOT the only internet security program/app/extension. I actually use a rather large suite of them. There are various things that arent just for ad blocking but also to defeat other things like trackers (used often by the really huge corporations to harvest data about you, which is then used to funnel more ads at you... yes, that's as slimy and shady as it sounds) and other things.

However, Adblock there is the one to start with... for others, it's best to do a bit of research on your own. Security extensions are nice and all but education is another part of the defense.

Try this:

Adblock Plus | The world's #1 free ad blocker

Note however that the default way to use this is to specifically use the Chrome browser... if you dont already have that, get it. I've used about a bazillion different browsers in my time, and that's the only one that I currently consider to be actually decent.

Though if you absolutely must use a different one, there are links on that page to get it for a different browser. Needless to say though, there's a reason why Chrome is the primary one shown there.

Note also that this is NOT the only internet security program/app/extension. I actually use a rather large suite of them. There are various things that arent just for ad blocking but also to defeat other things like trackers (used often by the really huge corporations to harvest data about you, which is then used to funnel more ads at you... yes, that's as slimy and shady as it sounds) and other things.

However, Adblock there is the one to start with... for others, it's best to do a bit of research on your own. Security extensions are nice and all but education is another part of the defense.

That reminds me. Earlier today I was talking to my daughter, she said she had a headache, and I said that my lips were chapped. I opened up facebook and the first two ads were for Excedrin and Blistex. Stuff like that happens all the time. It's creepy.

This is where VPN, add blockers and other security on your phone and PC/Laptop/Tablet are important, eg. Restricting all apps from using the microphone, location services, etc.

That being said paying $10 once off for a clean view seems like a bargain considering what a wonderful forum this is with great people.
Not going to get VIP right this instant but it's something I'm willing to do in the future.

Many forget that all websites and forums need money to operate and if the service is free, remember you are the product.

That reminds me. Earlier today I was talking to my daughter, she said she had a headache, and I said that my lips were chapped. I opened up facebook and the first two ads were for Excedrin and Blistex. Stuff like that happens all the time. It's creepy.

Yep, that's what these sorts of apps/extensions/things/whatever are designed to stop.

As @Binary_Bark says, in far too many cases... YOU are the product. Sold (literally) to very shady companies that then do the nasty ad stuff. Indeed, when something is free... be suspicious. Be very suspicious. This absolutely includes such universally used things as Google.

Also, while I know that many people REALLY dont like to hear this suggestion, I gotta say it because I'd be doing you a disservice if I didnt: Dump Facebook. Entirely. And Twitter, if you use it. Social media sites are some of the shadiest places on the Net, and often are VERY focused on this sort of thing. There's a reason why they dont charge you for use, and they have zero respect for you or your privacy... to them you're just a cow to be milked.

Even with ad blockers and whatnot... it's still a good idea to just stay away from sites like that, no matter how many other people may use them. They're toxic in more ways than one... it aint just about the ads or the data harvesting.

I always feel like nobody ever listens to me about that bit but dagnabit I'm going to keep repeating it when the subject comes up.

Oh, and for the love of all things kitten-shaped make sure you have some sort of antivirus installed on your machine. Using the Net without one is pretty much inviting trouble.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that posts suggesting the use of an adblocker aren't censored or deleted on this site. On other forums I visit, the suggestion of using an adblocker will cause that post to mysteriously disappear.

The only way the net is useable for me, is by using an adblocker. One would think that everyone would use one, but surprisingly, the vast majority don't. That's something I just don't get.

Last edited:
I have adblocker on my browser and I honestly didn't realize that there were ads on this forum. I was also gifted a VIP membership and paid it forward. If adblocker is not possible and you're unable to purchase a membership, I'm sure someone will donate a VIP membership if it means that you stay.

I feel a bit embarrassingly confused by this thread. I never see any ads and I do not have adblocker and I am not a VIP member. I did set my firefox browser to block ads. Seems totally sufficient. Am I missing something?

As to this thread; it is an odd corner of the forums & I’m a bit confused too. Did the OP leave? Is someone going to gift them with a VIP membership? ‘No point in gifting someone who’s gone.

Last edited:
OK. I just figured out how to and paid for VIP. I have been here for about two years and this forum has been a tremendous benefit to my life. So, it is absolutely worth supporting.
Still confused about the ads thing though...

Maybe the o.p. picked up a toolbar that peppers his browser with spam? I used to get those from time to time with Windows.

I was here for several years not as VIP member and I didn't get ads either.
Someone then gifted a membership to me.
I also use FireFox browser and blocker. It worked for me also.

New Threads

Top Bottom