• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Goes around, comes around?

The Pandector

V.I.P Member
I set out to respond to a great entry by Neonatal RRT in ‘Hi from the Lorax,’ but maybe this should be a new thread. One little slice...
What I find more often, is the neurotypical who is also preoccupied with strict routines and sameness on a much grander scale

Couldn’t agree more, Neonatal RRT. Especially regarding the use of ‘condition’ as opposed to ‘disorder.’ NTs are the true xenophobes; it is what holds their club together.

I didn’t self-diagnose until this year, my 69th. I arrived at the same observations as you’ve outlined, long before I understood my own condition. So then, my challenge has been to reconsider my lifetime of observation in light of this new information. Still being new to this, I’m not yet confident in my newer point of view. Maybe others will comment.

I find that, in general, the human race does not react out of logic or reason. Complicating matters, they think they are very logical or reasonable. In fact, humans are run by a combination of reason and emotion—two incompatible paradigms. I’m now embarrassed to say that I always prided myself on standing fast, on being unswayed by emotional arguments; this was the magic potion for that portion of my life which looked amazingly ‘successful.’ Now it looks like I’ve been making virtue of necessity.

Now it seems to me that I’ve been playing with 2/3 of a deck. I understand the situation and the goal; I can apply unrelenting logic and reason to the task at hand; but I have a very limited grasp of the emotional barrage that the world at large endures as they make their daily decisions.

Yes, I still take serious umbrage at apparently witless people vomiting out ill-founded judgments against my intellectual product. But my understanding now tells me that much of their intellectual difficulty is that they are operating under the crippling weight of a limbic system that confuses their reasoning.

So then, in your example, I can see the decision of that person who lets their savings lie fallow when more reasonable investments readily present themselves. It is actually reasonable for them to avoid the emotional uncertainty/discomfort that goes along with investment… just as it is reasonable for me to put on my noise cancelling headphones when the furnace and washing machine get to be too much.

So then, I’m trying to learn not to judge their lack of response to reason in exactly the same way that I wish they would respond to my lack of response to emotional/social issues. Each, in our own way, is reasonably following our own path of least resistance.

I’ll intentionally leave off without consideration of altruism.

@The Pandector : Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a good explanation that may be helpful in understanding. He breaks it down into "The Three Truths". (1) Personal truths (2) Political truths (2) Objective truths. Objective truths are true whether or not you believe in them. Feel free to challenge, but you will fail. Personal truths,...life experience. Your life experience is often quite limited to your small environment. You have truths based upon your life in your tiny little world. Political truths, which may also include religious beliefs. Now, one can create a Ven diagram with intersecting circles as there can be some degree of overlap when it comes to decision making.

So, to your point of why certain decisions are made,...it would appear that there would be a bias towards personal and political truths. Why? It is my opinion that most folks are simply intellectually lazy and don't like to challenge their own beliefs with new information or somehow researching a "null hypothesis". Many are also victims of the Dunning-Kruger effect,...knowing just enough about a topic to think they are experts but not enough to realize they are wrong. The other is extrinsic forces (a person or entity) that understands how to manipulate and can trigger an emotional response from an individual or group of people to push forward an agenda. This is how holy wars, as well as, political and social "movements" are triggered. In which case, there is often no objective truth driving the decision making. Big corporations will spend billions of dollars in emotionally triggering disinformation campaigns,...the fossil fuel industry vs. renewable energy industry.

Many do not understand how objective truths are eventually obtained via the scientific method,...hence, the "I don't trust doctors and scientists." "They keep changing their minds." Example,..."High cholesterol is associated with heart disease." Not necessarily. "High LDL/Low HDL is associated with heart disease." Not necessarily. "High levels of small particle LDL is associated with heart disease." Getting closer. "High levels of small particle LDLs AND chronic inflammation is associated with heart disease." Closer still. This process goes on and on, with higher and higher accuracy until an objective truth is obtained.

Last edited:
One of the things that impedes progress is lockstep. By that I mean that people won't take an initiative on their own, but will wait for others to make the same move before they do. It's a kind of herd mentality, the herd must move together to stay safe and for that individual to survive. And I don't judge them for that, it's understandable that people want to stay safe and secure, but it does mean that progress will be slower to happen.

Humans are a type of animal and I think much can be learned from observing other animals. Considering humans in modern settings can be very confusing with all the trappings and paraphenalia and sometimes animals give a clearer picture of the forces that formed our behavior. The cut to the chase so-to-speak.

hyena_coalition_oliver_honer_leibniz-izw_lum.jpg

'To find the truth, Benson-Amram invented the world’s first carnivore IQ test — a metal puzzle box with a meaty treat trapped inside that can only be released by using brains, not brawn. She has plonked her puzzle box before various predators from polar bears to panthers to gauge their problem-solving skills. She discovered that the animals that performed well tended to share a rich social life and believes sociability could be the evolutionary force responsible for the hyena’s superior intellect.'

Everything you know about hyenas is wrong — these animals are fierce, social and incredibly smart

She discovered that the animals that performed well tended to share a rich social life and believes sociability could be the evolutionary force responsible for the hyena’s superior intellect.'

Perhaps, for humans, as well. However, it is usually that one or two individuals in the group that actually solves problems,...the rest are too focused upon their anxieties and frustrations, complaining, or socializing to be of any objective use to the group.:D

Last edited:
Think we may not realize how many just live their life with the least amount of risk involved.As we age we become less risk tolerant and more sheeples running safely wherever we are pushed. When we are young, risk is just a gamble and we go out with that mindset. l just was offered a job but due to the type of labor and type of people, at this age, l chose not to take because of amount of risk l would expose myself too.

Think we may not realize how many just live their life with the least amount of risk involved.As we age we become less risk tolerant and more sheeples running safely wherever we are pushed. When we are young, risk is just a gamble and we go out with that mindset. l just was offered a job but due to the type of labor and type of people, at this age, l chose not to take because of amount of risk l would expose myself too.

Yes and no. Personally, I am far more financially risk taking now that I have enough money to risk. I am willing to loose hundreds in order to make thousands, if you understand that concept. I am an early adopter to solar energy and electric vehicles, as well as, "playing" around in the market (stocks, bonds, cryptocurrencies, silver, and gold). When I was younger and didn't have two pennies to rub together, I was quite conservative with my money.

On the other hand, I don't drag race nearly as much as I want to,...:D,...and that Tesla I have is pretty fast. I am not the "big man" in the gym anymore,...arthritis and injuries pretty much took care of that,...so, physically, I don't risk injuries anymore. I have also seen many good co-workers,...doing well for the company,...be suddenly terminated due to corporate restructuring,...so, I am just going to keep my head down, keep my mouth shut, try not to be noticed, and hopefully, make it through to retirement.

New Threads

Top Bottom