• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gluten Free/Casein Free diet and autism studied…and no sign of a benefit

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Perhaps one of the more common alternative medical approach to treating autism is the gluten free/casein free diet. And alternative means–not demonstrated to be beneficial and, very often, not even well founded on sound reasoning. And by common, it appears that about 17% of parents have opted for some form of special diet, so GF/CF in particular is likely less than that.

The GF/CF diet (as it is often known) was first proposed based on the “opiod excess” theory and the “leaky gut” theory. Neither theory has shown itself to be valid.

A previous review found that “Currently, there is insufficient evidence to support instituting a gluten-free diet as a treatment for autism.” The clinical trial just published appears to be based on a study presented at IMFAR a few years ago.

The study was fairly simple–they put children on a GF/CF diet. They then gave the children snacks. Some contained gluten and/or casein. Some did not. The parents didn’t know which snacks were which. The behavior of the children was recorded and correlated against the inclusion of gluten or casein. And no benefit was observed. Here’s the study:

The Gluten-Free/Casein-Free Diet: A Double-Blind Challenge Trial in Children with Autism.

and abstract:

To obtain information on the safety and efficacy of the gluten-free/casein-free (GFCF) diet, we placed 14 children with autism, age 3-5 years, on the diet for 4-6 weeks and then conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled challenge study for 12 weeks while continuing the diet, with a 12-week follow-up. Dietary challenges were delivered via weekly snacks that contained gluten, casein, gluten and casein, or placebo. With nutritional counseling, the diet was safe and well-tolerated. However, dietary challenges did not have statistically significant effects on measures of physiologic functioning, behavior problems, or autism symptoms. Although these findings must be interpreted with caution because of the small sample size, the study does not provide evidence to support general use of the GFCF diet

The study group is small, so it is possible they missed some benefit. But if the parent survey often quoted were correct and 69% of children showed a benefit, this study should have picked that up.

There are, of course, people who are sensitive to various foods. People both autistic and not. So some fraction of the population will benefit from elimination diets. But the idea that many promote of elimination diets as the first thing to try, no matter what (and there are people who do), is flawed at best.

By Matt Carey

SOURCE: http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/20...-and-autism-studied-and-no-sign-of-a-benefit/

RELATED: http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/20...me-focusing-on-kids-with-a-sign-of-leaky-gut/

The only autistics I see this benefiting are those who have legitimate bad reactions to casein and gluten. Like Celiac's disease. They say your digestive tract is more complex than your own personality, so it is completely ridiculous when people push these One Size Fits All diet plans.

Yeah i figured as much without even trying that diet myself. The only ones who would benefit from that type of diet are those who legitimately cannot have such foods for a medical reason. I forget the name but there's an actual disease that makes its sufferers unable to digest gluten. I think the only type of diet an aspie would benefit from is a rounded, organic diet. I myself have been trying to eat healthier and eat organic foods and use natural/organic non-food essentials (like shampoo, deodorant, etc) and over the past week of doing it i feel noticeably better. Next i'm gonna cut out soda and try to drink more water and replace soda with juice.

I switched to a high protein with complex carbs diet and it worked very well. no more blood sugar level spiking which helped my mood swing(I get very grumpy when my blood sugar is low). I also like casein alot because it's so slow digested, milk for example is 80% casein and it's great for instances where I won't be able to eat for a long time.

Thank goodness for the GF/CF diet. I do not have Celiac. (my gut is fine with gluten)Since going gluten free, my meltdowns are fewer, sensory sensitivity noticeably is less, anxiety much less, fewer self-injurious fits, but the best is that my mind is clear/calm, and my sleep has normalized. Basically, all the GOOD stuff about my autism remains as awesome as ever. The challenging/stress-y stuff? Noticeably much less problematic.

There is no universally accepted test for gluten sensitivity (only for Celiac), so elimination trial is the way to test. Quite frankly, if anxiety, frequent shutdowns, etc seem "normal" to us, why would we suspect gluten? My gut on gluten has been fine... but off all gluten, my neuro challenges are much relieved.

I only knew to try going off gluten because I noticed when I ate bread after 4pm, I couldn't sleep. My tummy was OK. I really didn't believe the stories of ASD kids improving off gluten, I just figured they maybe only needed less junkfood.
After 4 days GF, I felt better. After 2 weeks, I had improved mood, more optimism, less meltdowns, less anxiety, and a clear, calm mind.

This isn't the gluten I grew up with. I live in the US, so it's the heavily GMO'd sort of Frankengrain. Broken down in the body, some of those molecules cross the blood-brain barrier, and welcome to Anxiety & Brain-Fog Land.

Casein? I still very happily eat some dairy. I can only say that going gluten free has made the best of my autism be able to come out, as many of the challenges have eased up.

I think the GF/CF diet rocks as so many ASD kids today are addicted to a limited processed food diet ("He'll only eat nuggets, donuts, and cheezy snax."). We autistics have legitimate sensory/textural challenges combined with high stress/comfort food cravings. It would take parents a lot of time, effort, and dedication to exhaustively
search whole foods for things that satisfy their ASD kids' cravings and sensory/textural needs. (raw nuts are crunchy, rich and fatty, berries or dried fruit are chewy, sweet, etc.) A diet of processed stuff has chemicals beyond just gluten, too, but again, this isn't the gluten we grew up with. Bioavailability of GMO, how it breaks down in the body, and what impact it can have on neurology isn't known.

Make your own best choices. As an autistic, my experience in going gluten free has been amazing. :)

Last edited:
Thank goodness for the GF/CF diet. I do not have Celiac. (my gut is fine with gluten)Since going gluten free, my meltdowns are fewer, sensory sensitivity noticeably is less, anxiety much less, fewer self-injurious fits, but the best is that my mind is clear/calm, and my sleep has normalized. Basically, all the GOOD stuff about my autism remains as awesome as ever. The challenging/stress-y stuff? Noticeably much less problematic.

There is no universally accepted test for gluten sensitivity (only for Celiac), so elimination trial is the way to test. Quite frankly, if anxiety, frequent shutdowns, etc seem "normal" to us, why would we suspect gluten? My gut on gluten has been fine... but off all gluten, my neuro challenges are much relieved.

I only knew to try going off gluten because I noticed when I ate bread after 4pm, I couldn't sleep. My tummy was OK. I really didn't believe the stories of ASD kids improving off gluten, I just figured they maybe only needed less junkfood.
After 4 days GF, I felt better. After 2 weeks, I had improved mood, more optimism, less meltdowns, less anxiety, and a clear, calm mind.

This isn't the gluten I grew up with. I live in the US, so it's the heavily GMO'd sort of Frankengrain. Broken down in the body, some of those molecules cross the blood-brain barrier, and welcome to Anxiety & Brain-Fog Land.

Casein? I still very happily eat some dairy. I can only say that going gluten free has made the best of my autism be able to come out, as many of the challenges have eased up.

I think the GF/CF diet rocks as so many ASD kids today are addicted to a limited processed food diet ("He'll only eat nuggets, donuts, and cheezy snax."). We autistics have legitimate sensory/textural challenges combined with high stress/comfort food cravings. It would take parents a lot of time, effort, and dedication to exhaustively
search whole foods for things that satisfy their ASD kids' cravings and sensory/textural needs. (raw nuts are crunchy, rich and fatty, berries or dried fruit are chewy, sweet, etc.) A diet of processed stuff has chemicals beyond just gluten, too, but again, this isn't the gluten we grew up with. Bioavailability of GMO, how it breaks down in the body, and what impact it can have on neurology isn't known.

Make your own best choices. As an autistic, my experience in going gluten free has been amazing. :)
gluten free sounds pretty awesome. what's your diet look like?

IanOSU, my diet is easy, not hard at all. Lots of fresh, whole foods (meat, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts) and some dairy like cheeses, yogurt, and some milk. I totally can enjoy bread, pasta, cereal, but those are from the gluten free section at the grocery. That part of the diet is costly. I simply eat these things less often. (Who wants to regularly take out a mortgage on a loaf of bread? :tonguewink: )

Snackfoods aren't a problem, either. :D I nom snackfoods rarely anyway. Most potato chips, popcorn, corn chips, and many candy bars are gluten free. There are websites to find out which of my fave snackfoods are GF. Doritos, peppermint patties, Smartfood popcorn, Snickers, Fritos corn chips.. all GF. Cookies and crackers I buy in the GF aisle at the grocery.

Going out to eat isn't something I do often, but more restaurants have gluten free menus. Easy! Dominos and Unos have GF pizzas on the menus. Olive Garden has a nice GF menu, as does TGI Fridays.

Two cool things:
1. The stuff I start to crave for snacks became healthy foods, like a juicy apple.
2. I still get good feels from comfort foods, but those change into things like a buttery baked potato, or some rich, flavorful raw nuts.

My fave comfort foods happen to be gluten free: Tater Tots & juice boxes! :D

Here's what my diet looks like:
:grapes::cookingegg::pineapple::maize::shavedice::tangerine::chickenleg::candybar::banana::chestnut::candy::greenapple::cherries::ricecooked::friedshrimp::strawberry::tropicalfish::mushroom::stew::rice::watermelon::honeypot::custard::pear::ricecracker::tomato::icecream:

I don't feel deprived. I feel better! :)

Last edited:
I think the GF/CF diet rocks as so many ASD kids today are addicted to a limited processed food diet ("He'll only eat nuggets, donuts, and cheezy snax."). We autistics have legitimate sensory/textural challenges combined with high stress/comfort food cravings. It would take parents a lot of time, effort, and dedication to exhaustively search whole foods for things that satisfy their ASD kids' cravings and sensory/textural needs. (raw nuts are crunchy, rich and fatty, berries or dried fruit are chewy, sweet, etc.) A diet of processed stuff has chemicals beyond just gluten, too, but again, this isn't the gluten we grew up with. Bioavailability of GMO, how it breaks down in the body, and what impact it can have on neurology isn't known.
I definitely agree with side effects of junk food and prepackaged stuff. The parts of my life where I was living off fresh, privately canned, or store-bought canned food, I felt pretty good. If it's just frozen pizza and other stuff, I feel sluggish and fuzzy. Homemade pizzas and other meals using fresh ingredients or ingredients with minimal weird preservatives don't bother me.

Eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, a little dairy, chicken and fish, grain, peas, beans, seeds, nuts, whole grain. Have this 'thing' about oatmeal which I love. I cook every day from scratch, never use packaged foods, we have a lot of variety in our diet, which is the important thing about nutrition.

IanOSU, my diet is easy, not hard at all. Lots of fresh, whole foods (meat, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts) and some dairy like cheeses, yogurt, and some milk. I totally can enjoy bread, pasta, cereal, but those are from the gluten free section at the grocery. That part of the diet is costly. I simply eat these things less often. (Who wants to regularly take out a mortgage on a loaf of bread? :tonguewink: )

Snackfoods aren't a problem, either. :D I nom snackfoods rarely anyway. Most potato chips, popcorn, corn chips, and many candy bars are gluten free. There are websites to find out which of my fave snackfoods are GF. Doritos, peppermint patties, Smartfood popcorn, Snickers, Fritos corn chips.. all GF. Cookies and crackers I buy in the GF aisle at the grocery.

Going out to eat isn't something I do often, but more restaurants have gluten free menus. Easy! Dominos and Unos have GF pizzas on the menus. Olive Garden has a nice GF menu, as does TGI Fridays.

Two cool things:
1. The stuff I start to crave for snacks became healthy foods, like a juicy apple.
2. I still get good feels from comfort foods, but those change into things like a buttery baked potato, or some rich, flavorful raw nuts.

My fave comfort foods happen to be gluten free: Tater Tots & juice boxes! :D

Here's what my diet looks like:
:grapes::cookingegg:[emoji14]ineapple::maize::shavedice::tangerine::chickenleg::candybar::banana::chestnut::candy::greenapple::cherries::ricecooked::friedshrimp::strawberry::tropicalfish::mushroom::stew::rice::watermelon::honeypot::custard:[emoji14]ear::ricecracker::tomato::icecream:

I don't feel deprived. I feel better! :)
sounds like ditch oatmeal and I'm gluten free. my diet right now looks like this: chicken breast, oatmeal, nuts, soymilk, fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat cheese. I take fish oil and protein supplements. soymilk is gluten free right?

Eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, a little dairy, chicken and fish, grain, peas, beans, seeds, nuts, whole grain. Have this 'thing' about oatmeal which I love. I cook every day from scratch, never use packaged foods, we have a lot of variety in our diet, which is the important thing about nutrition.
you're on a perfect diet, good variety of sources protein, both plant base and animal base. healthy fats from fish omega3 plus seeds and nuts. slow digest aka complex carbs in whole grain and oatmeal great for sustain energy throughout the day. last but not least fruits and vegetables give you tons of vitamin and minerals to help you absorb nutrition. I hope you take multivitamin supplement because they give you vital vitamins and minerals you can't get from food.
and I love oatmeal. it's the perfect source of carb and it's so easy to prepare. I live by myself without a kitchen.the that's a huge plus. I get the whole oats, packaged and flavor ones are pretty much junk food too.

Last edited:
sounds like ditch oatmeal and I'm gluten free. my diet right now looks like this: chicken breast, oatmeal, nuts, soymilk, fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat cheese. I take fish oil and protein supplements. soymilk is gluten free right?
Oats don't have gluten but if you are extremely sensitive- have celiac for example- or are going to eat it every single day, you need to be aware of whether there is possible cross-contamination with the pats/oatmeal you are eating. In those cases it would be better to get something that either specifically addresses this concern on the product or that is listed as "gluten free". (Same with other alternate grains)

...and yes soy is free of gluten but similar in the cross contamination concern- many soy milks do say gf though, so that would be easy to figure out

Oats don't have gluten but if you are extremely sensitive- have celiac for example- or are going to eat it every single day, you need to be aware of whether there is possible cross-contamination with the pats/oatmeal you are eating. In those cases it would be better to get something that either specifically addresses this concern on the product or that is listed as "gluten free". (Same with other alternate grains)

...and yes soy is free of gluten but similar in the cross contamination concern- many soy milks do say gf though, so that would be easy to figure out
great. thanks for the answers lazarus :)

Yup! Oats are okay, as Lazarus said. (those with celiac can avoid cross-contamination and buy "gluten-free oatmeal.")

I'm just so surprised that ditching the gluten has had such a profound effect on my mood, mind, and how I feel.
I really didn't think my diet was bad before, I figured I really didn't eat that much gluten. But apparently, eliminating it altogether has some super effects for my neurology.

One interesting thing is with my ASD, my sensory preferences are for crunchy, rather than soft foods. Gluten-free crackers often have a rice base to 'em, and thus tend to be made extra crunchy. YAY! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom