• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Giving up

Daguerreo

I just feel that way most of the time. I gave up from 2008 all the way till december 2010. I chased someone and got rejected, the feeling hurts still because I opened up a little for once, and got shot down.

I feel like I'll never get anyone, and when I get infatuated over someone, i have the need to do a lot for them, but that tends to ruin the relationship, and also sometimes i doubt my capability in managing a relationship sometimes.

Often then not i have stopped pursuing because I doubted, or didn't want them to see who I really was. I don't like disclosing who i really am, and I know by disclosing the possibility that i might have ASD has made people more receptive, and easy going on me. I think.

Giving up is not all bad, contrary to popular wisdom. Sometimes you find you have more freedom to pursue the things you really want and can achieve when you give up an activity that is frustrating and ends in failure. Life's too short.

I don't know if you remember the old Peanuts cartoons in which good old Charlie Brown (hey, maybe he was ASD) would run up to Lucy when she was holding the football for him to kick and every single time she would pull it away at the last minute so that he would fall WHAM. I waited in vain for Charlie to say to Lucy, "Forget you. I'm not falling for that crap." and walk away. But he never did. I look at some things like Lucy's football. Sorry Lucy, not buying it anymore.

I don't know if you remember the old Peanuts cartoons in which good old Charlie Brown (hey, maybe he was ASD) would run up to Lucy when she was holding the football for him to kick and every single time she would pull it away at the last minute so that he would fall WHAM. I waited in vain for Charlie to say to Lucy, "Forget you. I'm not falling for that crap." and walk away. But he never did. I look at some things like Lucy's football. Sorry Lucy, not buying it anymore.

If Chris Ware drew Charlie Brown

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/04/13/if-chris-ware-drew-c.html?dlvrit=36761

View attachment 789

View attachment 788

Last edited:
Giving up is not all bad, contrary to popular wisdom. Sometimes you find you have more freedom to pursue the things you really want and can achieve when you give up an activity that is frustrating and ends in failure. Life's too short.

I understand what you are saying and I reason this with myself. It sometimes frightens me, that i could be sacrificing my own personal space. I spend a majority of time on my own. I like having my own time. I think having someone could be personally destructive to me.

That's why I often doubt in pursuing such a relationship. What you also have to remember though is, I am an individual that still hasn't had a relationship of that intimate level. As much as it is often a desire to have, I worry over the following factors.

• Having possibly a 2-face persona
  • Not being able to cater for the other partners needs
  • Often go missing for a few days
  • Forgetting things that are important to the partner.
  • Trying to are about something they care about.

The 2-face persona I refer too is that I'll probably be warm, and friendly around them on our own. But cold and aloof to them in public. I don't know. Mainly, probably because I factor out the emotions in this example. Chances are I will be though. It's not often I like being touched by people. In fact I get really agitated and angry if I've been touched without consent. I really don't like it. I think hugs in public will make me embarrassed.

On another note, there is a beautiful blonde lass I like. There is no infatuation, probably because we are able to have regular online conversations which keeps me at bay so to speak. She's a great character, and her behaviour is unpredictable, which is intriguing.

I think I am only a friend to her, we haven't really done anything together, and she's just a friend from work. We agreed upon to meet up and have coffee after the exams. There are a few issues I think regarding with this relationship.

First off, I don't want the friendship established to be ruined. It might surprise her perhaps, but I talk to her the most, and most of the conversations are through the internet. I am like I said before, very quiet, and I keep to myself. The most talking I ever do is in class relating to study material.

I often think I bore her to death. Like last night I was talking about my genetics, because I couldn't think anything else better to talk about. I held back a lot of information I wanted to share, but I did share some of the information. I also didn't want it to sound like, "oh yeah my dna is so awesome"

The often things previous is that I helped her out in an assignment which she apparently claims she got a high distinction, whether or not that's from my suggestions and input is another matter. Though I'm pleased with the result she obtained.

The other thing is I like her a lot mainly because she's fun, unpredictable at times, and I am able to talk to her seriously about certain things. The other issue though is I wish to quit work for personal reasons, but i like seeing her, and I don't want to ruin the friendship. I think I will resign, because I can't see the friendship progressing to something serious in less then a year, despite the fact I would like it to. Also the fact I think It wouldn't last more then a month, because of the way that I am.

What's up, Daguerre?

We've never spoken to each other, but I was just browsing through the LRD area for some inspiration when I saw your thread. I can say that it inspired me in a way, in combination with my cashew drink. I'd like to just say a few words.

I have the impression you're a very rational and articulated person, but lack self-confidence. First of all, you try to predict your own behaviour too much and you're denying yourself a real chance of getting to deeply know someone. Of course you know yourself better than I do, but I still think you should welcome the experience of enjoying a cup of coffee with the lass (loved this word).

Another thing. You say you 2 often speak to each other. Why on Earth then you think you bore her to death? Pretty blondes don't stick with boring conversations.

Also, I got a bit mixed up when you said you don't want to lose her friendship, but you're thinking about resigning because you don't see it progressing to something else. If you resign from work, you'll probably see each other less often, but it's up to you - I mean it - to make sure you keep in touch. The other thing is, if you keep as honest as you were on this thread and don't rush things, I'm pretty sure the outcome will be positive, even if the friendship doesn't progress into something serious.

Last, you don't have to die the way you are right now. We all can always be better persons and enjoy life more fully. You won't know how long things last if you're not up to giving them a try. And this is the inspirational thought you just gave me. Thank you for that.

Best regards.

I understand what you are saying and I reason this with myself. It sometimes frightens me, that i could be sacrificing my own personal space. I spend a majority of time on my own. I like having my own time. I think having someone could be personally destructive to me.

That's why I often doubt in pursuing such a relationship. What you also have to remember though is, I am an individual that still hasn't had a relationship of that intimate level. As much as it is often a desire to have, I worry over the following factors.

• Having possibly a 2-face persona
  • Not being able to cater for the other partners needs
  • Often go missing for a few days
  • Forgetting things that are important to the partner.
  • Trying to are about something they care about.

The 2-face persona I refer too is that I'll probably be warm, and friendly around them on our own. But cold and aloof to them in public. I don't know. Mainly, probably because I factor out the emotions in this example. Chances are I will be though. It's not often I like being touched by people. In fact I get really agitated and angry if I've been touched without consent. I really don't like it. I think hugs in public will make me embarrassed.

On another note, there is a beautiful blonde lass I like. There is no infatuation, probably because we are able to have regular online conversations which keeps me at bay so to speak. She's a great character, and her behaviour is unpredictable, which is intriguing.

I think I am only a friend to her, we haven't really done anything together, and she's just a friend from work. We agreed upon to meet up and have coffee after the exams. There are a few issues I think regarding with this relationship.

First off, I don't want the friendship established to be ruined. It might surprise her perhaps, but I talk to her the most, and most of the conversations are through the internet. I am like I said before, very quiet, and I keep to myself. The most talking I ever do is in class relating to study material.

I often think I bore her to death. Like last night I was talking about my genetics, because I couldn't think anything else better to talk about. I held back a lot of information I wanted to share, but I did share some of the information. I also didn't want it to sound like, "oh yeah my dna is so awesome"

The often things previous is that I helped her out in an assignment which she apparently claims she got a high distinction, whether or not that's from my suggestions and input is another matter. Though I'm pleased with the result she obtained.

The other thing is I like her a lot mainly because she's fun, unpredictable at times, and I am able to talk to her seriously about certain things. The other issue though is I wish to quit work for personal reasons, but i like seeing her, and I don't want to ruin the friendship. I think I will resign, because I can't see the friendship progressing to something serious in less then a year, despite the fact I would like it to. Also the fact I think It wouldn't last more then a month, because of the way that I am.

You know I bet if you put your mind to it you could find more reasons and possibly better reasons to justify never risking or throwing caution to the wind.

But wouldn't they all be defeated if you found someone and things worked? Wouldn't it feel just as right?

New Threads

Top Bottom