• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

GI Tract Problems endangering the best job I ever had.

I’m getting sick of this. This is the fourth year that this happened. This the first time I actually had episodes of vomiting. Of the three other years this happened I never vomited.

The first time happened when I was 26. Intense waves of nausea would just hit me, I did see my doctor. He did prescribed me Pepcid, even though I still had issues with nausea. I didn’t see my doctor again, I took a lot of Pepto-Bismol. The second time this happened was when I was 29, I just decided to power through it. But it’s was a little different this time around. One week I would have nausea, while the week after I would feel fine. It would alternate like this the several months I’d have it. The third time this happened when I was 34. That time I decided to just go through it without seeing my doctor. I could barely eat anything, I would drink a lot of green shakes everyday. I would have to avoid protein drinks because it would just make the nausea worse. Each time this persistent nausea would happen, it would last for at least six months. The third time lasted from February to late November.

This is the fourth time it started shortly before I turned 39. I don’t know if it’s because of age or what, but it’s getting harder to handle mentally. I mean the anxiety caused by the nausea is through the roof. I’m calling in sick to my work frequently because the nausea is just that bad. I would sometimes vomit as well. I think I called in over fifteen times in the last three months. This is the worst three month period as of right now. I never had whatever this is so bad.

This is endangering the best job I ever had. I have a Doctors appointment next Friday. I’m wondering what kind of work restrictions I can ask my doctor to put in place for me to be able to keep this job.

I’m also wondering if this has anything to do with ASD.

I live in the USA btw.

Do some research on the use of probiotics, "anti-inflammatory" diets, food allergy testing, and even 1-3 day fasting to heal the gut. Autistics do seem to be more susceptible to GI issues, but more likely due to a combination of elevated proinflammatory cytokines and a more restricted diet leading to an imbalance in the GI microbiome. If you are eating a wide variety of foods, then it may be more of a food allergy situation causing flare ups.

IBS and colitis are NO fun. I don't have the issues, but my wife has been dealing with it for decades. We spent the money on some comprehensive food allergy testing and was able to get some useful information. Then we did some research on ingredient substitutes for cooking recipes. Obviously, my wife isn't going to make 2 meals for the 2 of us, so what she eats, I eat as well. My post meal bloating has been eliminated, so I must be sensitive to certain things, as well.

As of late, I have gradually gotten myself onto a one meal a day program and will do a 3 day fast every few weeks. That has dramatically decreased my inflammation, water weight, and I have lost about 35lbs over the past 2 months. Whenever my wife has her colitis flare ups, I have her do a 2 day fast and it seems to clear things up quickly.

Just some ideas.

I’m getting sick of this. This is the fourth year that this happened. This the first time I actually had episodes of vomiting. Of the three other years this happened I never vomited.

The first time happened when I was 26. Intense waves of nausea would just hit me, I did see my doctor. He did prescribed me Pepcid, even though I still had issues with nausea. I didn’t see my doctor again, I took a lot of Pepto-Bismol. The second time this happened was when I was 29, I just decided to power through it. But it’s was a little different this time around. One week I would have nausea, while the week after I would feel fine. It would alternate like this the several months I’d have it. The third time this happened when I was 34. That time I decided to just go through it without seeing my doctor. I could barely eat anything, I would drink a lot of green shakes everyday. I would have to avoid protein drinks because it would just make the nausea worse. Each time this persistent nausea would happen, it would last for at least six months. The third time lasted from February to late November.

This is the fourth time it started shortly before I turned 39. I don’t know if it’s because of age or what, but it’s getting harder to handle mentally. I mean the anxiety caused by the nausea is through the roof. I’m calling in sick to my work frequently because the nausea is just that bad. I would sometimes vomit as well. I think I called in over fifteen times in the last three months. This is the worst three month period as of right now. I never had whatever this is so bad.

This is endangering the best job I ever had. I have a Doctors appointment next Friday. I’m wondering what kind of work restrictions I can ask my doctor to put in place for me to be able to keep this job.

I live in the USA btw.
Really sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I really hope that you are able to get some answers when you see your doctor. =(

I live in the USA btw.

I hope that you can keep your job; it is pretty dystopian to fire someone for being sick. Not like you have a bad work ethic; something's just gone & disagreed with you.
The matter of nausea and what-not sounds like something I've had. I don't remember whether it was just food, or what, but I notice that stress causes me to 1) eat bad food, and 2) digest it poorly, so then that happens. I rarely end up vomiting from stress but you absolutely can end up doing that.

Hope you feel well soon. This is very sad and it's got to be very painful to deal with.

New Threads

Top Bottom