• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Geology, Geodes, Fossils & Meteorites

RocksComo 020.JPG
Nice tourmaline speciman. 9 inches long.

Here are photos of the rock I think may be a meteorite. Does anyone have an opinion?

Pictures All 017.jpg
Pictures All 026.jpg

Attachments

• Pictures All 015.jpg
    Pictures All 015.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 0
Here are photos of the rock I think may be a meteorite. Does anyone have an opinion?

View attachment 51493 View attachment 51499
It doesn't really look like a meteorite, to me it looks like the interior of a concretion. They frequently have very high iron concentrations and can be surprisingly dense. The slight magnetism may be due to magnetite (Fe3O4) on the surface..

On a meteorite, the black fusion crust is usually the first thing to weather off, the interior then slowly weathers to iron oxide. Your specimen appears unweathered on the exterior and oxide (hematite, Fe2O3, or limonite FeO(OH)-nH2O) on the interior.

I probably sounded like Isaac on the Orville with that, but I tend to use very precise and technical language when doing an analysis. Just the way I am.

Last edited:
People have been posting interesting geology photos, so I thought I would join in. This is a polished cross section from the Allende meteorite.

Allende fell Feb 08, 1969 near Allende, Chihuahua, Mexico. Over two tons of material were found and extensively studied. It is classed as a carbonaceous chondrite, due to the chondrules in the interior. These are the round particles, which are primordial interstellar dust. These chondrules are actually older than the age of the Earth. It is considered one of the best preserved carbonaceous chondrites.

These are tektite droplets from the meteor crater in Arizona.
Called Apache Tears locally, there was a large debris field of them from that meteorite.
LeanneBDand 015.JPG
LeanneBDand 005.JPG

I have the Geology Photo Album made and ready for everyone to post media on. There are a few of my Cherts posted so far. Have many more photos to take and upload still.

It doesn't really look like a meteorite, to me it looks like the interior of a concretion. They frequently have very high iron concentrations and can be surprisingly dense. The slight magnetism may be due to magnetite (Fe3O4) on the surface..

On a meteorite, the black fusion crust is usually the first thing to weather off, the interior then slowly weathers to iron oxide. Your specimen appears unweathered on the exterior and oxide (hematite, Fe2O3, or limonite FeO(OH)-nH2O) on the interior.

I probably sounded like Isaac on the Orville with that, but I tend to use very precise and technical language when doing an analysis. Just the way I am.

That makes sense. I'm going to keep it with my collection as I have had it for about 40 years. Thank you for the info. I had to google Isaac on the Orville to figure out that that meant. Geologists - all scientists - should use very precise and technical language and I appreciate it.

These are tektite droplets from the meteor crater in Arizona.
Called Apache Tears locally, there was a large debris field of them from that meteorite.
View attachment 51595 View attachment 51596

That looks a lot like my specimen. I actually hiked down to the bottom of the crater (the one near Flagstaff) back in the 1970s. The Park Service doesn't allow people to do that anymore so I'm glad I had a chance to do it.

I have the Geology Photo Album made and ready for everyone to post media on. There are a few of my Cherts posted so far. Have many more photos to take and upload still.

Nice! I'm not sure what the big birds and conversion tables mean. LOL

I'm going to start photo'ing some of my collection and post them, too. My husband showed me how to do that the other day.

How, specifically, do I access this to view or upload? A search of "geology" in the media area turns up no results.

Never Mind, I figured it out.

Not something that has interested me but still a good topic for those who may be interested. Thanks for sharing your interest.

I finally got all my rocks & such posted. Hoping to see others from other locations.

I have a small rock and mineral collection. My largest specimen is calcite on smokey quartz that's valued over $100. I won it as a door prize at a rock and mineral show.

New Threads

Top Bottom