• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Generational thing or something else??

mw2530

So at my job, pretty much everyone is a salaried employee. It seems like the company is constantly asking people to volunteer to be a leader in a certain area or take on additional work/responsibility. Few people volunteer because we work plenty already and since we are salary, we really don't get paid anything extra for doing more. Keep in mind that I work in a profession that smart, motivated, and dedicated people get into. Not to take anything away from other jobs or professions. Given my salary right now, the primary thing that would motivate me is more free time. Sure I wouldn't mind a salary increase, but that would only provide me little to no additional fulfillment in my life. In my mind, volunteering for leadership roles or additional work only diminishes the quality of my life by adding in more stress. I'm not sure if others around my age think this same way, or if it is partially the result of having ASD. Is this a generational thing or is it something else? Or is this how it has been in past generations and it is just part of being in the younger working years? Some of the managers and part owners of the company have stay at home spouses so they have much less errands/chores to worry about in their personal life (In my mind at least). All they have to worry about is work, not so much about doing laundry, cooking, shopping, etc... I feel like they don't really understand the young worker of today generally does not have a stay at home spouse and the impact that has. Young workers who are married at the company generally have spouses that work either part time or full time. For me, my hope is to focus more on enhancing my overall life since I already feel like I've missed out on many things growing up and as a young adult. But I see my job as becoming more and more of a burden. I don't think this is unique to those with ASD. I think many in my generation feel similarly and see similar issues in the workplace. Something has to give, and I think there are going to be some significant changes in the way employers motivate employees in the near future. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone else hear what I'm saying?

Absolutely, both of my parents worked. And they constantly seemed to have extra unpaid duties outside of their jobs. Both had little free time, and did many additional volunteer activities within the community that I grew up in. They seemed to feel that it was their duty as members of that particular community to give their free time and labour. Often to the benefit of a church or a charity or a community organization.

Began training as a volunteer in girl guides, as a kind of community helper which earned you additional badges to wear on your sash at guide meetings. So quite early in my life I took on leadership and volunteer roles. Over the years, I've done a great deal of unpaid volunteer work and for some time I felt there was a benefit to others although not so much for myself.

My last volunteer job was a charity that existed exclusively on the free work of volunteers and several people who benefited from government funding. Without volunteers they were unable to function and provide the services that they did. When they began dictating the hours I was to be there, it was a problem for me. So I stopped. Began to feel that my free time was more valuable than in the past. I rarely do unpaid work any longer.

I think it is both Aspie and younger person outlook. Its not generational per se, in that it was the same in previous generations. Its age driven.

So at my job, pretty much everyone is a salaried employee. It seems like the company is constantly asking people to volunteer to be a leader in a certain area or take on additional work/responsibility. Few people volunteer because we work plenty already and since we are salary, we really don't get paid anything extra for doing more. Keep in mind that I work in a profession that smart, motivated, and dedicated people get into. Not to take anything away from other jobs or professions. Given my salary right now, the primary thing that would motivate me is more free time. Sure I wouldn't mind a salary increase, but that would only provide me little to no additional fulfillment in my life. In my mind, volunteering for leadership roles or additional work only diminishes the quality of my life by adding in more stress. I'm not sure if others around my age think this same way, or if it is partially the result of having ASD. Is this a generational thing or is it something else? Or is this how it has been in past generations and it is just part of being in the younger working years? Some of the managers and part owners of the company have stay at home spouses so they have much less errands/chores to worry about in their personal life (In my mind at least). All they have to worry about is work, not so much about doing laundry, cooking, shopping, etc... I feel like they don't really understand the young worker of today generally does not have a stay at home spouse and the impact that has. Young workers who are married at the company generally have spouses that work either part time or full time. For me, my hope is to focus more on enhancing my overall life since I already feel like I've missed out on many things growing up and as a young adult. But I see my job as becoming more and more of a burden. I don't think this is unique to those with ASD. I think many in my generation feel similarly and see similar issues in the workplace. Something has to give, and I think there are going to be some significant changes in the way employers motivate employees in the near future. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone else hear what I'm saying?
We had a thing on our job called flex time or compensation time. We were hourly but I don’t think that would make a difference. So if there was a volunteer option you think would enhance your career or you really wanted to do for whatever reason, maybe you could ask higher management if you could take on a little volunteer time in exchange for extra time off somewhere else on a specific date. I was able to volunteer for overtime when company demands were high and then take an extra day off for either stress relief, to do something I enjoy, or use it for errands or going to the doctor. It might be advantageous to just ask them and negotiate a deal that is in your favor and benefits them just as well. I knew a management level employee who helped the company in a crisis by working round the clock to babysit some equipment we feared would fail. So he worked on it as needed and literally slept on a cot beside it 24/7 for three weeks working on it as needed. Later, they gave him three weeks off so he could really rest up.

"Something else" entirely from my perspective assuming you are referring to employment in the US. The issue of "exempt" and "non-exempt" employee status.

The difference being that while "exempt" employees were subject to a much higher level of salaried compensation, they were exempt from any consideration of overtime pay. When I was promoted from a rater to an underwriter in an insurance company, suddenly I lost any possibility of being paid for work done above and beyond the normal requirements.

It wasn't a pleasant prospect when the department began to lag behind to the point where people were "asked" to come in on Saturdays to work when the reality was that we were not paid for it. But for us such occasional requests were contractually understood and agreed to when we chose to become or were promoted to the underwriting department. Without any compensation regarding transportation costs or meals, let alone being paid to do the work.

Two points to be made:

1) Always be aware before you take a job as to whether or not it involves exempt or non-exempt employment.

2) In the event you are promoted from a non-exempt to an exempt position, be aware that your employer will likely expect you to be willing to deal with this transition and "step up" for the company.

And that in the event you cannot reconcile this sort of change in the workplace, some employers may be less compassionate than others in any pleas of getting your non-exempt job back.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/exempt-and-a-non-exempt-employee-2061988

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom