• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Funny word misunderstandings

Could it be Geitost? Geit means goat, ost means cheese. Goat cheese. That`s my favorite cheese, brown goat cheese. Crispbread with brown goatcheese and hot cocoa is perfect on cold days. But that cheese has a secret, it`s not really cheese. It`s made of whey so it`s not like normal cheese. It`s caramelized whey.

View attachment 76652

I love this stuff! In the states we get "Ski Queen" brand. Is that a good brand? Since it is the only kind we can get, personally I say it's the best! :p

We had some Americans here who tried to make breakfast one morning, one of them found this in the fridge, a can of "leverpostei". It means liver patè. But she saw the picture of the little girl and she was a little sceptical, she wanted to know what on earth that was. :)

View attachment 76653

That would terrify some nationalities. What is shown on the tin is what is in it in their country....

I love this stuff! In the states we get "Ski Queen" brand. Is that a good brand? Since it is the only kind we can get, personally I say it's the best! :p

I`m not familiar with that brand but I read that Ski Queen is a blend of cow and goat's milk. That`s a little different, the cheese here is all goat. But I`m sure that`s good too, I doubt the difference is very big. My favorite is this one, "Tine Gudbrandsdalsost".

tine.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be Geitost? Geit means goat, ost means cheese. Goat cheese. That`s my favorite cheese, brown goat cheese. Crispbread with brown goat cheese and hot cocoa is perfect on cold days. But that cheese has a secret, it`s not really cheese. It`s made of whey so it`s not like normal cheese. It`s caramelized whey.

View attachment 76652

Yes! That is it. I like it, too. It's impossible to find where I live but I can order it online.

Geitost does sound like yay toast :) It`s pretty close. It`s a special cheese, a lot of taste. I think it`s perfect with hot cocoa.
Yes, that's the way I have had it. On toast with cocoa. The perect cold weather snack.

Speaking of cold...@Forest Cat, how many hours of day light do you get now? What time is sun rise?

Geitost does sound like yay toast :) It`s pretty close. It`s a special cheese, a lot of taste. I think it`s perfect with hot cocoa.

Do you actually dip it into your hot cocoa?

another word:gipfeli. Gipfeli is kind of like a croissant but made a little differently. Croissants have more fat to them. Anyway, a gipfeli is only asked for in german speaking places here but in the French areas it is croissant....which sometimes can be confusing.

I`m down south now so sunrise is at 7am and sunset is around 6pm. It`s so nice with long days again, this winter was long and dark. Soon we will have sun from 4am to 11pm. I need that. :)
That's not too bad. I envisioned sun up at 8 a.m. and sun set at 4. :)

To get back on topic Peter Kay's(comedian) grandmother called organic vegetables orgasmic won't make any further comment

As a kid, at the dinner table., I once mis-used the word 'orgasm' (not even knowing what the word meant) with 'organism'. God did that get a major scold from my mom lol. I can't think of anything at the moment, but to this day I know I still do silly things like this.

When you teach Year 8 students the word "organism" as part of their basic biology curriculum, there's typically a lot of suppressed sniggering in the class. So what you do then is write both "organism" and "orgasm" on the board and explain the difference. And then do a few sentences with one (or both) of the words used correctly. And then go, "Well, glad we got that one out of the way!" :tonguewink:

No, no dipping, that would be a little messy and not something I want to do. The taste just goes well with hot cocoa.

I had to google Gipfeli, haven`t heard that word before, it looks delicious.

Moroccan "Gazelle Horns" are also really yummy and could be a nice dessert of a similar shape, following Gipfeli...

iu

Gazelle Horns ( Kaab El Ghazal ) - The Moroccan Food

@Owliet, because you're Swiss and because I speak German too (childhood affliction), I thought you might find this entertaining - plus it fits in with the topic in a roundabout way...

I love how they give you such totally useful phrases instead of the boring run-of-the-mill ones! :innocent:

The German guy is so deadpan... :neutral:

It looks as if "aye up me duck" is the equivalent of "hello, my dear."

Aye Up is a greeting = Hello
Me = My
Duck is apparently an affectionate term for someone = dear

Thank you for enlightening us, @Fino! :)

That was a pretty opaque little saying without that explanation!

German people have a pretty opaque way of saying, "Get lost!"

Literally translated, it goes, "You can slide down my hunched back."

Go figure.

(Do you say that one in Switzerland, @Owliet?)

(Do you say that one in Switzerland, @Owliet?)

Yes! Similar meaning. Most direct is to refer to it as
verloren gehen which can also be meant to say “get wasted”. Which is also English slang for being really drunk. =)

This isn’t really a misunderstanding words but more like a word taking out of its context and very out of place. Once heard this woman in a fur coat say that she didn’t approve of cod. Did she mean fish or call of duty?

Yes! Similar meaning. Most direct is to refer to it as
verloren gehen which can also be meant to say “get wasted”. Which is also English slang for being really drunk. =)

This isn’t really a misunderstanding words but more like a word taking out of its context and very out of place. Once heard this woman in a fur coat say that she didn’t approve of cod. Did she mean fish or call of duty?
Cash on demand ?

I always thought it was funny to talk to American horse people, who use "BO" for "barn owner"... because here that means "body odour"... :p

I always thought it was funny to talk to American horse people, who use "BO" for "barn owner"... because here that means "body odour"... :p
"BO" means body odour here too. And I'll bet there is a restaurant somewhere that uses "BO" as shorthand for bacon and onions. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom