• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Functioning in Life with Autism

Eddie Gillenardo

I've been thinking about what I should do in life since I have autism spectrum disorder. I've tried pretty much everything I can try and still haven't been able to succeed. I've tried college 5 times, tried living on my own 4 times, have had a lot of jobs that I couldn't maintain so I honestly do not have a clue about what to do next. I've also been in many dating relationships of which the longest was 5 months. How do I do life with not just autism spectrum disorder but also 3 other illnesses?

I feel your pain. I'm working one job, but barely making it on my own. No relationships that go beyond friends, and I had to find a roommate because i forget to clean if i'm busy with other things, so need help around the apartment. I've had more jobs than I can remember! At this point, I'm going to have to start really pursuing official diagnoses and disability assistance if I want to continue living on my own. Succeed in life? I keep trying, but getting knocked flat yet again...Hope you find an answer!

It does depend a lot on where you live, but it's for people like you (and me, since I've have similar experiences) it's good there's some kind of support so you have an income and stuff like that. Some people are just a bit more screwed than others... and it's probably best to focus on the things you have control over.

I'm not saying you should give up on everything and let someone take you by the hand, but for some of us on the spectrum, being employed long term is such an impossible option. Focus on personal growth instead.

Obviously the big issue might be income and aside from trying to look for government support, I can't really say much more to that.

The question however is, what other 3 illnesses? At least, if you want to disclose those here. Some can be managed with therapy or medication (but again, that depends on where you live and how accessible that is).

A bit more focus on what general area you're from might help people from that same area point you on where you can go and get stuff back on track

well if you can find a job that suits you and that you can live on, that would trump everything else. Your survival is of utmost importance. If we know more about your talents and location, we might be able to help you out more. That is totally up to you. Here, we will help you as much as we can. If you're in the US, start with your state's office of vocational rehabilitation (it is likely called something different depending on the state) and they may be able to help you get started. It's better than nothing.

The other 3 illnesses I have are:
1) Schizoaffective disorder
2) post-traumatic stress disorder
3) general anxiety

I do receive government assistance. I am currently on SSI. I eventually want to be either a pastor, missionary, or both. I can start school, but have a hard time continuing and finishing school. I have dated like 7 or 8 girls since I started dating 10 years ago. Is there any hope?

I do receive government assistance. I am currently on SSI. I eventually want to be either a pastor, missionary, or both. I can start school, but have a hard time continuing and finishing school.

What's driving you to wanna be a pastor? Do you prey to God about this?

I have dated like 7 or 8 girls since I started dating 10 years ago. Is there any hope?

This is something you need to take your time with. Don't rush it. Don't give into NT pressure on this one. I've seen so many "NT" relationship fall apart because they rushed it.

I just love to preach and teach others about the Word of God. I love helping ppl. I have no passion greater than preaching the Word and helping others deal with their stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom