• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your school situation at the moment? In the USA we finish High School around age 18 and then some go to college right away. Others may start work and perhaps do college later or part time. Some, if the situation allows, do neither and spend their time on the computer for years in a kind of stasis.

It can be hard to know what you want to do long term but having some plan that moves you towards independence and career fullfilment is I think a good idea. Like I mention, knowing what you want to do may be difficult, but you can still make short term plans that move you in the right direction. Like deciding some college would be a good start (2 or 4 year degree) or that some work experience is what you want. Not everyone can go right out of the main childhood schooling into college. Either it is not financially feasible or perhaps you are not mentally ready to go back to school work. Each has their own pace and neither is wrong.

Btw you seem to be pretty on the ball for a 17 year old kid. And I like your motivation. Have faith in yourself that you will accomplish what you set out to do.

Don't worry about occasional flareups. Many of us with autism get them. Do what you did, and analyze them and try to keep yourself from hurting others with anger/harsh words. Come up with your own methods of taking the negative energy and dispersing it in a safe fashion.

I used to throw things when it happened. It happened once in a while at work or home. I remember throwing a hammer, a Christmas tree stand, a helmet, a refridgerator (yes believe it or not), a phone, a antique childs school desk. Never at anyone. usually no one was around. Then I threw something very expensive and felt like an idiot having just wasted my money. I said there has to be a better way. I used personnal isolation mostly. Take myself out of the area where others are. If able some walking it off helps. When I felt it coming on later in life I just told my wife and kids I needed alone time. My code phrase was 'It's a full moon tonight' :D

View attachment 100287

;)
I graduated school last year :) My Dad says things will get busier in June and things will come my way, which I believe.

Yeah..... I was super mean... And lately, I've devised the strategy of stopping and screaming into a pillow, or putting on some calm music, watching a movie, or eating. All of those work immensely and soothe me :) I also play crosswords and word games on my laptop, I really enjoy that ^-^

Thanks for explaining your experience ^^ Helps.

Mostly get pissed by problems caused by not thinking things through. An example would be cleaning up after brewing some hibiscus tea- and knocking over the filled glass of tea in the process. Foul self-deprecating language and temporary insanity occurs. Ten minutes later I'm realizing once again that in the big scheme of things, it was absolutely of zero importance! Next day it's something else, ..........
The one situation that anger helps is when dealing with a mechanical difficulty. Such as trying to center a carburetor base bolt in a poorly accessible spot with my oversized hands. After several tries, the profanity flows so easily! But when cussing the design, my clumsy hands, and the engineering team/beancounters, the anger boosts my energy level, enabling success. Then I'm tired and bit embarrassed by it all.

“Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."​

-Mark Twain
Bro, yeah. I can't do the dishes when I'm angry and I did that twice just to get it over with asap , : D

Yes, with that quote in mind, I do enjoy swearing. Even at nothing : )
Heh, embarrassed, yep....

And lately, I've devised the strategy of stopping and screaming into a pillow, or putting on some calm music, watching a movie, or eating. All of those work immensely and soothe me :) I also play crosswords and word games on my laptop, I really enjoy that ^-^
Good for you! Developing coping strategies that are relatively healthy. Plus having a bunch of different ones is really helpful.

Remember too, that sometimes growing sensory overload can lead to an angry outburst. I know that’s true for me… When I have had the sun shining in my eyes for a while, I get inordinately angry at everything and everyone, and then I realize why. It had been growing for a while, and leaves me feeling sort of on edge, enough so that it doesn’t take much to tip me over it. So trying to be aware of what leads to underlying anger can be helpful too.

Good for you! Developing coping strategies that are relatively healthy. Plus having a bunch of different ones is really helpful.

Remember too, that sometimes growing sensory overload can lead to an angry outburst. I know that’s true for me… When I have had the sun shining in my eyes for a while, I get inordinately angry at everything and everyone, and then I realize why. It had been growing for a while, and leaves me feeling sort of on edge, enough so that it doesn’t take much to tip me over it. So trying to be aware of what leads to underlying anger can be helpful too.
Wow.... Yeah, I'm gonna have to work on that for sure. Living under pressure of a sort. Thank you :)

Hey georgie-girl,
Toughest years for me were being young and reason is learning to read people and finding your place.
I talk. Lot on forum, these are troubles I had that no one talked about back then.
My Mom sent me for career orientation but it was IQ test and advice was work outdoors. Nothing conclusive.
Did you check out LinkedIn site, I found is a guide to navigating communication in digital world so it was to assess what needed for various jobs. If you not sure what you want to do then studying is going to be a drop-out and then you experience how bad our family life was with me finishing a gap year where I tried jobs that didn't need qualifications. Try working at internet cafe, I worked at photo lab but those changed they more like print shops now. The video store was ok it wasn't too demanding, depends on you.
I worked in computers for few years until my experience was valid, I was a junior. I had no idea at time where I was going.

I heavily agree cause I do feel happier now. It's taught me to appreciate my surroundings and have fun, plus I have some big stuff comin' up :)
Glad that you are feeling happier. Pace yourself -you still have lots of living to do.

Here's for you from a performer I like:

Glad that you are feeling happier. Pace yourself -you still have lots of living to do.

Here's for you from a performer I like:
I agree, I have to constantly remind myself that I'm new to this planet <3 Thanks for the song! I've been doing a lot of tune-searching recently. I often listen through artists' entire discographies just out of curiosity :)

New Threads

Top Bottom