• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Freebies and Perks

If it hasn't been mentioned, if you are in the U.S. some counties and city municipalities offer an assortment of free or suplimented services for those with disabilities. Those services vary by yhe county or city but may include extra food asisstence, counseling; including occupational, physical therapy, mental and emotional counseling, houding help, free bus passes and probably more. Federal or state assisstance already recieved may count as income so be sure you know the bottom line.

When I was diagnosed I got a card with Autism Aware on it, does anyone else have one?

Also, I'm sure I heard if you let an airport know far enough in advance you can skip the queues if someone in your party has autism, is that true? I hope so as I really really hate queuing, it makes me become so impatient and frustrated almost to the point where I have to stop myself from being rude and obnoxious. I wish I didn't feel that way but queues get me every time. Maybe that's less autistic and more narcissistic though, I don't know ...
Did you ever find out about this? If it’s not true, you could try what I do & see if it helps at all.
I stay seated eating snacks and listening to music until the last 4 people or so are left to board the plane. I get on last so I don’t have to wait in line to get on the plane, wait in line ON the plane , wait for people to put their stuff in the overhead etc. this to me is much better than being on first because I hate having to get up and move for someone if not in a window seat, all the moving around, the CONSTANT clicking of the overhead compartments etc.
as for lines with security, I tend to go later than advised and then it works out it’s not as busy . Ppl all seem to go at the same time to be 8 million hours early :p
Not sure if this will help- hopefully you do get to skip ques !!! The autism card actually sounds kind of cool . Hope it’s been of help to you

Did you ever find out about this? If it’s not true, you could try what I do & see if it helps at all.
I stay seated eating snacks and listening to music until the last 4 people or so are left to board the plane. I get on last so I don’t have to wait in line to get on the plane, wait in line ON the plane , wait for people to put their stuff in the overhead etc. this to me is much better than being on first because I hate having to get up and move for someone if not in a window seat, all the moving around, the CONSTANT clicking of the overhead compartments etc.
as for lines with security, I tend to go later than advised and then it works out it’s not as busy . Ppl all seem to go at the same time to be 8 million hours early :p
Not sure if this will help- hopefully you do get to skip ques !!! The autism card actually sounds kind of cool . Hope it’s been of help to you

Unfortunately it looks like that member hasn't been around for a number of years, but when it comes to "skipping queue" - I can think of several possible meanings:

1. Priority check-in (highly unlikely as this is generally reserved for those with frequent flyer status, first class, or business/club class tickets

2. Priority security screening

3. Priority boarding (pre-boarding)

#3 is already generally available to anyone who self-identifies as needing more time to board.

#2 is one of those things where each airport has their own rules.

I should note that the sunflower lanyard program is used at many airports

though again, what happens is very much a YMMV ("your mileage may vary" - i.e. people have had mixed experiences) - technically the only real requirement is that anyone who notices it should recognize that you have a hidden disability and so they should be aware of and sensitive to that. Of course, the challenge is that a hidden disability could be anything - it could mean needing to use the restroom frequently, that someone has sensory challenges with bright lights, that someone has heightened anxiety in unfamiliar situations, etc.

At Vancouver, there is an autism sticker that allowed expedited security screening, though not many airline staff are aware of it.

In Croatia Asperger's is almost unrecognized, so we mostly don't get formal diagnoses of it.

For more severe autism you can get an assistant in school that helps with learning and socializing.

New Threads

Top Bottom