• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Freaking People Out With Your Obsessions.

I do not normally talk to anyone about my obsessions. If I do, it is with someone I am comfortable with and even then I am so shy about it that I may not even do so. Of course, I really feel like doing this everyone all the time to be honest. I think about it all the time and sometimes it drives me nuts not to talk about it. Sometimes it just comes out at random, like one of my superiors at work I would not shut up about astronomy and I weirded him out. It can be hard to control at times but I do try to refrain from doing it because it is embarrassing for me. My parents never knew about them except I remember letting loose on my dad a handful of times about clouds, medical terminology, gems and rocks, and money. I've always been obscenely good at anything with a pattern, like being able to see a pattern in anything from puzzles to code to just reading things very fast. I'd ask for lots of books and puzzles because I've always been obsessed with doing that and they never gave it a second thought. Weird.

One of my friends once told me that I kind of scared her when we first met because she'd never met anyone so obsessed with The Lion King. XD I guess she got used to it over time, though.

I don't usually talk about my obsessions, people only really know about them when they see my room. And when they do see it, it does usually freak them out a bit.

Random person: :O "Whoa...all those video games!"
Me: ^.^ "I know."
Random person: o_O "You have a Darth Vader SHRINE!"
Me: ^O^ "I know, isn't it beautiful!"
Random person: o_O;

As someone new to actually knowing about AS, I always thought that people were so bored by me as a person because nothing I was interested in was important to them. I've had many obsessions over the years, which my family somehow put up with (it's more obvious now that they made it work without understanding why it was happening).
But, I've had reactions in the past anywhere from people being freaked out, to people being so blatantly rude as to tell me to shut up or that no one cares.
It think I'm finally starting.to realize that its not because people hate me, but more that they dont understand.

One of my friends once told me that I kind of scared her when we first met because she'd never met anyone so obsessed with The Lion King. XD I guess she got used to it over time, though.

Yes I tend to scare people with my obsessions with patterns in the world. Working out real well for me on this site I have a whole pack of trolls stalking me over a couple of logic law gems.:eek: I have to edit my stuff here almost as bad as at home.o_O Sigh! can't share even in aspie land...and all I showed was one of Cinderellas mice...:rolleyes: maybe I'll have to leave the carriage in the barn...:confused:would have been a good read :D tho.:mouse::mouse::mouse::tangerine:

[QUOTE="shinigami, I've always been obscenely good at anything with a pattern, like being able to see a pattern in anything from puzzles to code to just reading things very fast. I'd ask for lots of books and puzzles because I've always been obsessed with doing that and they never gave it a second thought. Weird.[/QUOTE]

:D Me too I see patterns in everything, nature, people, the news, I can do spooky stuff with it sometimes.:confused: People really don't like it when you pull back the veil of life,:eek: they would rather keep doing bad stuff and pretend every thing is wonderful.:rolleyes: On the puzzles I may not be as good as you, but I will walk into the room and my dad will be working on one and he'll say this piece is lost. So half of the time I will reach over and pick it up and hand it to him and he'll go Aaaaahg! It is funny, and the piece is usually sitting under his elbow where he can't see it, it gets him every time. Ha ha!;):sunflower: it's nice to meet someone like me I'm H/F? auti/aspie probably more auti I need to take a better test.

I don't usually talk about my obsessions, people only really know about them when they see my room. And when they do see it, it does usually freak them out a bit.

Random person: :O "Whoa...all those video games!"
Me: ^.^ "I know."
Random person: o_O "You have a Darth Vader SHRINE!"
Me: ^O^ "I know, isn't it beautiful!"
Random person: o_O;

Hey ThatskyWing I would have only one thing to say about your Darth Vader shrine..COOL!:cool:...okay I lied I would probably ask 30 billion questions. Ha ha!:D

As someone new to actually knowing about AS, I always thought that people were so bored by me as a person because nothing I was interested in was important to them. I've had many obsessions over the years, which my family somehow put up with (it's more obvious now that they made it work without understanding why it was happening).
But, I've had reactions in the past anywhere from people being freaked out, to people being so blatantly rude as to tell me to shut up or that no one cares.
It think I'm finally starting.to realize that its not because people hate me, but more that they dont understand.

Ah! sorry about that new JessH I get that too, people will talk about their stupid cars, jobs, whatever all day long ...but if you say anything :eek: no fair play...don't make me feel dumb..:eek:..:eek:..:eek: some things in life are just stupid.o_O

I like to talk about my obsessions, but have burned a few times (usually by the same people), so I'm wary. It depends on the people. My spider obsession got me some flak, which irritated me, because it was only the second time that day I'd even mentioned them, and yet other people can talk about a) babies, b) pets and c) death and dying endlessly - as in five or six times a day - and nobody ever jumps on them for it.

Anyway, it depends. If it's someone I trust, yes. And I will talk fast as well, if it's something I like. x)

And yes, I have made people uncomfortable on multiple occasions in the past by discussing sexuality too casually. Apparantly you're supposed to pretend you don't have any quirks or preferences. It isn't like I proposition anybody - I'm married - and I'm not asking any information from them personally, so I don't really get why it's such a big deal - I find it fascinating. But as long as I keep the company I keep, I guess I'll keep my mouth shut and listen to them talking about who died this week and what so-and-so's baby did. :/

Hey ThatskyWing I would have only one thing to say about your Darth Vader shrine..COOL!:cool:...okay I lied I would probably ask 30 billion questions. Ha ha!:D

Thanks, I'm very proud of that particular collection of mine. Heh heh, ask away, I love talking about Darth Vader. :D

Thanks, I'm very proud of that particular collection of mine. Heh heh, ask away, I love talking about Darth Vader. :D

To bad I can't see it I love star wars I dreamed for a while on building one of those sand crawlers or walkers. Maybe if I write a best seller I will build something like that I have the magic touch on that sort of thing.:D But then I can do allot of strange stuff.:cool: P.S. I also know a little something about making faster than light stuff too. Shhhh...;)

I love Star Wars too. :D
I wish I could make stuff like that, but I don't have the magic touch.
Awesomeness! o_O

Hi ThatSkyWing they had a cool clone wars cartoon out here but they keep putting it in the middle of the night or moving it around so I can't find it in the TV guide. Yeah! I like to design stuff I'm kind of playing around with the idea of a stealth mini sub, or a hydrogen rocket plane. What do you think should I blow my self up or drowned.:D I played that star wars doom style game til my playstaytion 2 and the disc both died.:(

Yeah, I saw some of that cartoon on T.V. A while back, it was pretty neat.

A hydrogen rocket plane sounds awesome, and so does the mini sub, you should make stuff like that some day. I don't know, both sound like fabulous ways to get hurt. :p

Wow, must have been a fun game! :O

I can't say that my obsession with weddings and wedding photos has never caused a guy to sweat a little :p

Ha ha! Cerulean, You may be right, but I had my ex-girlfriend tagged as a runner :eek: before she bailed. Try me ;) I probably could make you squirm a little :confused: if I got into the esthetics of bare shouldered bustier dresses and satin verses lace, fluffy petty coats framing the waist line and um.. other stuff. My artistic eye gets me in trouble some times.:rolleyes:
Here's one I'll bet you never thought of gluing a styrafoam horn on a white pony so you can ride a unicorn in the wedding.:rolleyes: sorry am feeling naughty today.:p

Last edited:
I have a history of annoying people by not shutting up about it, but I've never freaked people out.

When I talk about my obsessions I don't care about taboo.
I'll talk about sexuality to anyone, tbh, because it happens to be an obsession of mine. My Mum gave me the biggest evils ever when I started talking about homosexuality research and the origins of it to my Grandad.
I also talk too much about other animals reproductive systems. It's just something that fascinates me. Not in a weird fetish sort of way, but I just find it interesting. IDK why. It's not like I don't find the other parts of the body interesting too. I can tell you about the nervous system, digestive track, etc. of most classes of Platyhelminthes. But idk.
When I was obsessed with statistics I think people found it annoying the way I'd always try to cram as many statistics into the conversation.
IDK.
Also, when I talk about my obsessions, unless I'm depressed, I speak ridiculously fast, because there's so much information coming in that it's hard to remember to mention it when you're speaking normally, and usually then people don't really understand what I'm saying(in combination with the dodgy voice I have).
IDK. I just have a tendency to bring them up all the time.
I also find it really hard to not bring them up. If there's someone I don't want to talk to, but they bring up something I'm interested in, I have to try hard not to talk to them about it(if I talk to them it implies I like them, imo).
Anyone else like this?
I'm interested to read what others are like about their obsessions. Some Aspies I know are like me, and some don't even bring their obsessions up once o_O.
EMZ=]
This is totally a behavior you can overcome, is called developing a filter, it takes time and practice but it can be done. Aspies I think of as a safe place where we can obsess all we want, grandpa however may not appreciate this.

And on a more amusing note my ex boyfriend said he was going to punch me in the cloaca, to which I responded "perhaps you have mistaken me for another species, for I have a breeding arm."

New Threads

Top Bottom