• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forever "coming to?"

I spend more time in my head than I do anywhere else. It's lovely in here, I've spent a lifetime building it.
The only way I lose time is if it's insignificant (no real need to remember it)
I can feel 'spaced - out' when doing some really deep thinking. Takes a little while to get back from that.

If I wander, it's because I'm not paying attention or focused on task (Head full of other thinkey stuff)

Would you remember to set an alarm on phone (if have one) to go off at intervals throughout the day? Check if you pay attention or hear your alarm?

Strange that I was just thinking about this the other day and here is a thread I hadn't previously seen/read.

@Warmheart , in the OP you asked if anyone has any ideas for safety. Presumably something that will keep you alert when you need to be.

I was wondering if you had tried setting a countdown alarm with your smartphone or a watch? One that counts down to zero, beeps until you stop it, then counts down again ... repeat until you shut the whole thing off. I guess you would have to experiment to see if you should set it at 30 seconds or shorter or longer.

I was thinking that by setting up a situation where you have to "be present" and interact with the outside world, you might be able to "stay put" for times that you need to? Do you think this would work or would the alarm not penetrate into your consciousness?

Wight, thank you for the thoughtful idea! I suspect in my case, an alarm, even a quiet one, might add to my overwhelm and shutdown. I appreciate the suggestion, though!

I've since found something that helps with things. I had some OT sessions, and now I get regular sensory (activity) on my own. A swingset helps provide whole-body vestibular, a resistance band helps with kinesthetc input, and swimming with proprioceptive sensory input.

I'm amazed how much sensory integration therapy helps clear the fog and improve resilience.

New Threads

Top Bottom