• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For Aspies who Cannot Work

If you think you could work if you had some help, each state in the US has a vocational rehabilitation agency that helps people with disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable employment.

Yes, they have such agencies. Many could be helped with this, and many have been helped with such assistance with training, education, physical assistance devices, and possibly other accommodation help, among help with searches for a suitable job that was mostly likely to work out, based on questionnaires, interviews, testing, etc., so, in this case, for those willing to try this, this could be a good solution.

Others though with more serious conditions or with less faith in their abilities or in the work environments likely would less like that Agency program, or they could be hurt by such, as it seems like from my research the goal of such an SSA affiliated vocational agency is to get the beneficiary to somehow work a year, to substantial gainful levels. But, let's say after that year, the person starts having problems, and either quits or is terminated because of condition or such flairing?

What do you think the chances are of that person getting disability benefits again soon? Not very good, as the SSA will claim the beneficiary showed an ability to work to substantial gainful levels recently. It thus can be a gamble going this path, or it could be a blessing. It depends on the situation, and condition severity, and the specific worker seen in such an affiliated agency.

I have a family member with Asperger's who was able to get disability benefits, but it is not enough to live on. So he still cannot move out from his parents. So don't think you will be home free if you get it. Thanks for all the information; it is very good information that people need to know.

They do have subsidized government disability apartments and senior apartments based on income, with some apartment complexes separated by age, but others having them all together. Let's say the income is close to $800 a month. The apartment rent could be between $200 and $350, depending on utility allowances, with complexes not just in cities but villages and rural areas as well.

Yes, the monthly budget could be very tough, but with additional food benefits allowed, for low income disabled, it not impossible to live, unless that person had medical issues not covered by insurance, and lots of extra expenses. Often medical insurance though is free too, for those who had no work history. But, I do not certainly recommend most with conditions to live on their own, unless able to. From my understanding, many with Autism cannot.

This is a great post, though incomplete. The rules for SSI and SSDI are complex. But Some of the basics you need to know if you're going to apply are important. I represented myself and won the case on my third appeal.

If you're under 50 years old, you will not be approved until the third appeal unless very lucky. You have 60 days to file an appeal after a decision is made, do not miss this deadline. As an under 50 disabled worker, the SSA will say that you can be retrained. Over fifty, you cannot be retrained. At the hearing on your third appeal, there will be a vocational expert in attendance. the judge will ask him: "In light of these limitations, are there any jobs that he/she can do?"

The vocational expert only has to find three jobs, and they don't have to even exist in the general economy. If he can find three jobs, you're gonna be denied. Your disability must include something that precludes you from all jobs. I suggest stating problems with executive functions, that make time management difficult where you are often late for work, miss work, and overstay your breaks. That's something that's common among us aspies, that also precludes every job on the market.

This is the forum where you can learn everything you need to know about SSI and SSDI, including how to apply with the most efficacy: SSDFacts: Social Security Disability Support, Forum, Statistics, Forms, and More! | ssdfacts.com If you cannot read through all that information, I highly suggest that you retain a lawyer to do the process for you.

Myself, I've had over three dozen different jobs, have a highschool diploma, and a certificate in CNC machining and incredible/diverse skill in manufacturing and engineering. I can deadlift 400 lbs and bench press 270, I can run the mile in less than 8 minutes, and have an IQ of 126, and yet, I am disabled.

It's not a choice, you don't wake up one morning and say I can't keep a job, maybe I'll go apply for SSI, it's a last ditch option after years and years of failure. Me, I know I am capable of great things, but often time the prosaic parts of life are a struggle for me. You do not want to be on disability, living off of less then $800 a month like me. If you can work, do, you will be happier knowing that you do not depend on anyone else to support you.

If, however; you are not able to work and have had to live in a forty year old rv with no water except what leaked through the roof, and you've tried everything under the sun to earn a living, and still fail, then not only should you apply for disability, but you're deserving of it as well.

Psychologically, it's difficult, to collect disability. Not only will others beat you down with remarks like "What's wrong with you? You shouldn't have any problems, you look fine. I hate having to give my hard earned money to support lazy layabouts" and more, but you will beat down on yourself too. "Why can't I be like everyone else? I hate having no money for things, I can't even afford to rent a one bedroom apartment and the waitlist for housing assistance is 8 years long. What wrong with me that I can't work, I'm a loser, all my friends are losers. I had such great goals, where did it all go wrong, what can I do to change this? I want out of this trap but cannot find my way."

You see, if you can at all avoid it, don't collect disability. While it is a help, and I do not have to worry much about homelessness or not having food, it is also a curse. Your friends, they will all be poor too. Your roommates, poor. And poor people often do drugs, and have many other problems. That means, you will have to interact with these people, and subsequently be hurt by them as they take advantage of your differences and kindheartedness. You will feel like crap, living off of other people's labor, and being judged by many of those same people. I definitely advise everyone to keep trying, to never give up hope.

While some people will tell you not to work while you are waiting to get to the judge, I had to wait three years, that is not true. If you keep trying, and keep failing, they will see that too. And you've got to keep trying. I just had a job, it was a labor gig. I thought, I'm strong, I can do it. But I had to quite that job, because my neck was hurting badly. Last summer, I herniated a disk in my neck when I was jumped by four teenagers. I have been attending school for the last two years, for mostly engineering. I have 116 credits now, from my machining to 39 of which count towards my engineering transfer. Once I transfer, in two or more years, I can work on university.

I have a lot of things that are difficult for me, but also a lot of strengths. I envision myself using arduino and solidworks to 3d print something and make it bluetooth, innovate something, invent something. Even with my limited resources, it's possible to get started as in inventor these days, what with crowdfunding, and angel investors. I've even already made a hat with an lcd screen on it, never seen that before have you? The point is, no matter what, you have to keep trying to pursue your dreams, even if you cannot do it the way everyone else does, you can change the action steps without changing the goal.

Good day,
God Bless

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. Straight out of high school I worked 40 hours per week, but that slowly kept being drawn back. I worked many call center and retail jobs (before I was aware of my life, my symptoms, or that I may be an aspie). Last winter I finally decided to give up on being financially successful and found a job operating lifts at a ski resort (for winter) and I do groundskeeping at a golf course in the other seasons.

In the last 6 months, I've found it hard to find the motivation to even go. I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go to work, and my insomnia has been kicking in harder than usual (usual being waking up a few times a night). The time isn't the issue. I find myself unmotivated to go to work similarly no matter my start time. I went from 6 hours of sleep on a good night, waking up multiple times, to 3 hours of sleep spread over 8 hours. I keep telling myself to push through, because these are the first jobs I've ever enjoyed having, but the stressors and 8 hours of labor a day leave my exhausted, and I've been experiences more stress, sickness in my stomach, and all around fatigue since starting.

I have a hard time not working, because I find myself depressed, but the fatigue from work is worse than the depression. My point in this is, do anyone of you experience similar symptoms and have any recommendation as to what helps? I feel like I can work about 20-25 hours without extreme symptoms affecting me somehow, and I guess since I'm still learning about a lot of this, I don't want to admit that I might need financial assistance, despite feeling/knowing that for he last 3 years as I bounced job to job experiencing the same crappy situations I couldn't handle.

This is a great post, though incomplete. The rules for SSI and SSDI are complex. But Some of the basics you need to know if you're going to apply are important. I represented myself and won the case on my third appeal.

If you're under 50 years old, you will not be approved until the third appeal unless very lucky. You have 60 days to file an appeal after a decision is made, do not miss this deadline. As an under 50 disabled worker, the SSA will say that you can be retrained. Over fifty, you cannot be retrained. At the hearing on your third appeal, there will be a vocational expert in attendance. the judge will ask him: "In light of these limitations, are there any jobs that he/she can do?"

The vocational expert only has to find three jobs, and they don't have to even exist in the general economy. If he can find three jobs, you're gonna be denied. Your disability must include something that precludes you from all jobs. I suggest stating problems with executive functions, that make time management difficult where you are often late for work, miss work, and overstay your breaks. That's something that's common among us aspies, that also precludes every job on the market.

This is the forum where you can learn everything you need to know about SSI and SSDI, including how to apply with the most efficacy: SSDFacts: Social Security Disability Support, Forum, Statistics, Forms, and More! | ssdfacts.com If you cannot read through all that information, I highly suggest that you retain a lawyer to do the process for you.

Myself, I've had over three dozen different jobs, have a highschool diploma, and a certificate in CNC machining and incredible/diverse skill in manufacturing and engineering. I can deadlift 400 lbs and bench press 270, I can run the mile in less than 8 minutes, and have an IQ of 126, and yet, I am disabled.

It's not a choice, you don't wake up one morning and say I can't keep a job, maybe I'll go apply for SSI, it's a last ditch option after years and years of failure. Me, I know I am capable of great things, but often time the prosaic parts of life are a struggle for me. You do not want to be on disability, living off of less then $800 a month like me. If you can work, do, you will be happier knowing that you do not depend on anyone else to support you.

If, however; you are not able to work and have had to live in a forty year old rv with no water except what leaked through the roof, and you've tried everything under the sun to earn a living, and still fail, then not only should you apply for disability, but you're deserving of it as well.

Psychologically, it's difficult, to collect disability. Not only will others beat you down with remarks like "What's wrong with you? You shouldn't have any problems, you look fine. I hate having to give my hard earned money to support lazy layabouts" and more, but you will beat down on yourself too. "Why can't I be like everyone else? I hate having no money for things, I can't even afford to rent a one bedroom apartment and the waitlist for housing assistance is 8 years long. What wrong with me that I can't work, I'm a loser, all my friends are losers. I had such great goals, where did it all go wrong, what can I do to change this? I want out of this trap but cannot find my way."

You see, if you can at all avoid it, don't collect disability. While it is a help, and I do not have to worry much about homelessness or not having food, it is also a curse. Your friends, they will all be poor too. Your roommates, poor. And poor people often do drugs, and have many other problems. That means, you will have to interact with these people, and subsequently be hurt by them as they take advantage of your differences and kindheartedness. You will feel like crap, living off of other people's labor, and being judged by many of those same people. I definitely advise everyone to keep trying, to never give up hope.

While some people will tell you not to work while you are waiting to get to the judge, I had to wait three years, that is not true. If you keep trying, and keep failing, they will see that too. And you've got to keep trying. I just had a job, it was a labor gig. I thought, I'm strong, I can do it. But I had to quite that job, because my neck was hurting badly. Last summer, I herniated a disk in my neck when I was jumped by four teenagers. I have been attending school for the last two years, for mostly engineering. I have 116 credits now, from my machining to 39 of which count towards my engineering transfer. Once I transfer, in two or more years, I can work on university.

I have a lot of things that are difficult for me, but also a lot of strengths. I envision myself using arduino and solidworks to 3d print something and make it bluetooth, innovate something, invent something. Even with my limited resources, it's possible to get started as in inventor these days, what with crowdfunding, and angel investors. I've even already made a hat with an lcd screen on it, never seen that before have you? The point is, no matter what, you have to keep trying to pursue your dreams, even if you cannot do it the way everyone else does, you can change the action steps without changing the goal.

Good day,
God Bless

Thanks for the additional information, and that link which will help persons make more well informed decisions.

While you are 100% correct what happens during the third appeal stage, with regards to the vocational expert in attendance and with what happens then, as research says the same, in our case all approvals were during the initial stage, taking between 3 to 5 months. So, being approved early can happen early, if enough supporting materials are presented.

But, most claims, likely would go to the 2nd or 3rd appeal stage, if you just submit the basics, like the completed application and one standard medical report, unless the impairment was on their very short list of rare physical type conditions, or the medical report stated a history of work failures and very severe condition. The SSA feels there is little benefit in approving most people early, as if they deny the claimant benefits for one or two appeal stages, thinking the claimant will run back to work.

In other words, the SSA does not want to make things easy, as if they made it easy and quick for claimants to be approved, more fraudulent cases would be approved, and as word of mouth could spread how easy it is to get benefits. Surely, the SSA does not want a stampeded of persons applying. So, they are in no hurry to approve most cases.

Thanks too for giving another perspective, regarding any drawbacks for applying and receiving. I agree with your premise it should be a last resort, when all other avenues have been exhausted, and upon only urgent and dire need.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. Straight out of high school I worked 40 hours per week, but that slowly kept being drawn back. I worked many call center and retail jobs (before I was aware of my life, my symptoms, or that I may be an aspie). Last winter I finally decided to give up on being financially successful and found a job operating lifts at a ski resort (for winter) and I do groundskeeping at a golf course in the other seasons.

In the last 6 months, I've found it hard to find the motivation to even go. I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go to work, and my insomnia has been kicking in harder than usual (usual being waking up a few times a night). The time isn't the issue. I find myself unmotivated to go to work similarly no matter my start time. I went from 6 hours of sleep on a good night, waking up multiple times, to 3 hours of sleep spread over 8 hours. I keep telling myself to push through, because these are the first jobs I've ever enjoyed having, but the stressors and 8 hours of labor a day leave my exhausted, and I've been experiences more stress, sickness in my stomach, and all around fatigue since starting.

I have a hard time not working, because I find myself depressed, but the fatigue from work is worse than the depression. My point in this is, do anyone of you experience similar symptoms and have any recommendation as to what helps? I feel like I can work about 20-25 hours without extreme symptoms affecting me somehow, and I guess since I'm still learning about a lot of this, I don't want to admit that I might need financial assistance, despite feeling/knowing that for he last 3 years as I bounced job to job experiencing the same crappy situations I couldn't handle.

For us we are too busy at home to get depressed as we homeschool our two children daily and provide all their other daily needs. That combined with keeping my mind occupied with my writings, and posts in this forum, makes it hard for me to get down. The few times I get depressed I do some activity that I enjoy and focus on that, like going to some fun places with family, practicing more my singing, following sports, etc.

In general, it sounds like you have somewhat of a plan though, to do work part time, as too much work could be overwhelming, and to balance that with something that could lift you up. Try to find things that make you happy when you are not working. Sunlight can help with depression, and exercise, too.

For sleep, try to get into a healthy sleep pattern, whereby you go to bed at a certain time each night, and not bring worries to bed. When I had insomnia for a few weeks, I eventually tried focusing in bed on nothing but being totally relaxed and paying attention to my slow breathing, to best mimic sleep, or with simultaneous very slow counting up numbers in my mind, with that too. Eventually that worked.

What helped me too was when I got two hours of sleep at most all those nights, I told myself, "Hey. I can still function some despite that, so there is no pressure to sleep. If it happens, so be it. If not, it is not the end of the world." This tricked me into relaxing further and not putting too much pressure on me to sleep. Also, try not to eat a big meal before sleep too, or to do any vigorous physical or mind exercises.

Is that SSDI or just SSI? The latter is the smaller of the two and is usually for those who have never worked or paid into Social Security. It is calculated based on multiple financial factors.

SSDI is for those who have worked and paid into Social Security before their disability was acknowledged. It is a little more and not affected by things like savings and small incomes.
I am pretty sure it is SSDI. He has worked some.

For us we are too busy at home to get depressed as we homeschool our two children daily and provide all their other daily needs. That combined with keeping my mind occupied with my writings, and posts in this forum, makes it hard for me to get down. The few times I get depressed I do some activity that I enjoy and focus on that, like going to some fun places with family, practicing more my singing, following sports, etc.

In general, it sounds like you have somewhat of a plan though, to do work part time, as too much work could be overwhelming, and to balance that with something that could lift you up. Try to find things that make you happy when you are not working. Sunlight can help with depression, and exercise, too.

For sleep, try to get into a healthy sleep pattern, whereby you go to bed at a certain time each night, and not bring worries to bed. When I had insomnia for a few weeks, I eventually tried focusing in bed on nothing but being totally relaxed and paying attention to my slow breathing, to best mimic sleep, or with simultaneous very slow counting up numbers in my mind, with that too. Eventually that worked.

What helped me too was when I got two hours of sleep at most all those nights, I told myself, "Hey. I can still function some despite that, so there is no pressure to sleep. If it happens, so be it. If not, it is not the end of the world." This tricked me into relaxing further and not putting too much pressure on me to sleep. Also, try not to eat a big meal before sleep too, or to do any vigorous physical or mind exercises.

I'm sure raising a family can have a great degree of positivity on ones life. Myself, I have a dog. She's probably the only living thing I feel any significant emotion for. She helps a lot. Sunlight is my go to. I am fortunate to live 5 minutes from a beautiful canyon. I find myself up there hiking or driving with my dog almost daily. It's the most significant relief of stress and anxiety I have to date. Nothing feels as healing to my as Mother Nature.

I'll pay closer attention to my sleep patterns and see if I notice a difference. Thank you. I'll have to monitor my eating as well. It's difficult sometimes as I often lack an appetite. By time I force something down or finally find something that doesn't make my stomach hurt thinking about it, it's often later than I prefer. I'm currently putting together a meal prep calander to try to combat that, so we'll see if it helps!

Thank you for the advice.

If you think you could work if you had some help, each state in the US has a vocational rehabilitation agency that helps people with disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable employment.

My State's Rehab Office was a Disaster when I was trying to work with them. They know next to nothing about High Functioning Autism! They wanted me to Lie on applications about my abilities, I would have had to lie on nearly every question! We (Aspies) tend to know exactly what we can and can not handle in certain situations, (I have given it A LOT of thought after all!) but the Rehab people just wouldn't listen!

I was very fortunate to be able to get SSDI on my first attempt, with great thanks to my Primary Care Doctor! Some of my additional challenges are Congenital Hypothyroidism, that wasn't diagnosed until I was three months old, Female Issues from Hell (two week long PMS and Horrific Cramps) Migraines, Poor sleep (My eyes don't close when I'm sleeping) I frequently stammer when I speak due to my too short tongue and my voice is nasally and it can't be fixed (we tried fixing deviated septum, no luck) and My "Meltdowns" are crying fits that even I find annoying and pathetic! I seem to "function well" in life, as long as I'm not "working", when I was working, I was a mess!

Same here, SSDI, but it's not enough to be independent!
You might be able to get EBT benefits, if your SSDI is low enough.

Also, my SSDI alone would probably not be enough, but I work two days per week as a paper carrier, too.

My State's Rehab Office was a Disaster when I was trying to work with them. They know next to nothing about High Functioning Autism! They wanted me to Lie on applications about my abilities, I would have had to lie on nearly every question! We (Aspies) tend to know exactly what we can and can not handle in certain situations, (I have given it A LOT of thought after all!) but the Rehab people just wouldn't listen!

I was very fortunate to be able to get SSDI on my first attempt, with great thanks to my Primary Care Doctor! Some of my additional challenges are Congenital Hypothyroidism, that wasn't diagnosed until I was three months old, Female Issues from Hell (two week long PMS and Horrific Cramps) Migraines, Poor sleep (My eyes don't close when I'm sleeping) I frequently stammer when I speak due to my too short tongue and my voice is nasally and it can't be fixed (we tried fixing deviated septum, no luck) and My "Meltdowns" are crying fits that even I find annoying and pathetic! I seem to "function well" in life, as long as I'm not "working", when I was working, I was a mess!

We had a family disaster with that Vocational Rehabilitation Agency too. They did nothing but try to steer this family member into something they would have failed at, when they kept saying they could not function there. At times I think they are being run by part time SSA employees. They may not really care but could have an ultimate goal of getting beneficiaries any job, and giving information these people give about abilities and other information to the SSA.

My wife and other family got their benefits on the first try too. She has lots of ADHD issues, and lots of physical and environmental issues and sensitivities, and poor sleep as well.. She has her meltdowns, too, so I understand a little of your pain there. For her it is when things become overwhelming, or if she has a certain unresolved issue. She has no ability to handle outside work stressors, where job demands need to be precise, and timely, and when there are lots of environmental triggers.

I am glad though your primary doctor was able to help you get benefits the first time around. It would seem things would have become even more stressful for you if you would have been denied first time around.

nobody wants to hire a broken-down odd duck.

Unfortunately, in most cases that is true, if they think we do not fit in, in some big way. Often they want the perfect looking or functioning employee, with no noticeable limitations and who will cause no present or future problems or distractions.

What if Voc Rehab is unable to place you in a job and you cannot keep a job even with supported employment, like a Job Coach?????? Are you just not employable if that is the case?????

What if Voc Rehab is unable to place you in a job and you cannot keep a job even with supported employment, like a Job Coach?????? Are you just not employable if that is the case?????
Your options depend on which country you are in.

in my aspie group was a member who was on SSDI and he had to be requalified for benefits every so often. those times were a trial for him, he'd have to keep proving to the bureaucrats over and over that he was not employable.

in my aspie group was a member who was on SSDI and he had to be requalified for benefits every so often. those times were a trial for him, he'd have to keep proving to the bureaucrats over and over that he was not employable.
My original disability attorney said that he would continue representing me if/when that happened.

New Threads

Top Bottom