• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Foods liked by Americans and Canadians that most other people hate.

It's all what you grow up on. Even in the U.S., foods vary from state to state. Southerners like biscuits and gravy and someone from California might gag. I grew up in Ohio but grew up spending a lot of time in the mountains in Virginia visiting relatives. The food people ate in Ohio and in Virginia were so different. Even the same foods were different - lasagna in Virginia was made using cottage cheese and in Ohio ricotta. I liked both. Foods from other countries do not look appealing to me at all - of course I'm very picky. But I wouldn't criticize because that's what you're used to and this is what I'm used to.

Oh my- yes.

It's the difference between ordering grits in Nevada versus California. :p

In Nevada you get what you ordered. In California they ask you if this is a joke.

Last edited:
I am having a personal culture shock in VA. I am normally surrounding by a lot of latin culture, and they dont even have an el pollo loco here. i'm sure the locals here only like (excuse me as a whole, not individually) certain foods. i have even heard a young man say, why would i want chinese food? do i look like a [racial slur redacted]. i have been forced to cook for myself.
i also dont care what certain countries think of food when they do not produce good food (imo) i'm thinking about canada (poutine is gross) and england/germany/cold european countries.
The perception of what is good is relative

The perception of what is good is relative
this is a statement that is implied, because i put in my opinion. unless you are agreeing with what i already said. I'm sorry, I am unsure how your statement adds to the conversation?

Cadburys chocolate is my favourite. But potato crisps are my downfall. Always have been. And so bad for my teeth too.

Well, bit harsh to rubbish the foods of entire nations I feel. There's lots I enjoy, I am definitely not picky and love simple food like buttered toast and Mcvities rich tea biscuits. With cups of strong tea. Yummy.

Also once ate a dish with cheese sauce in an American food outlet, and it was sweet - I didn't like it at all. Cheese sauce isn't supposed to be sweet!

I've always thought it was that cheap sweet cheese sauce that curls many a doomed batch of nachos. :eek:

When I bring such food back home I always cover them in another cheese. Usually a combination of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero cheese.

Tends to dull that sweet taste of that orange paste that probably comes out of a spigot and kills certain lab animals.

I am having a personal culture shock in VA. I am normally surrounding by a lot of latin culture, and they dont even have an el pollo loco here. i'm sure the locals here only like (excuse me as a whole, not individually) certain foods. i have even heard a young man say, why would i want chinese food? do i look like a [racial slur redacted]. i have been forced to cook for myself.
i also dont care what certain countries think of food when they do not produce good food (imo) i'm thinking about canada (poutine is gross) and england/germany/cold european countries.

My mother was preparing tacos in early 60s Virginia. No one had a clue about what we were eating. The only way she achieved this was because she did all the grocery shopping at military commissaries. :p

The very few Mexican restaurants across the Potomac were terrible at the time.

I find a lot of American food too sweet and didn’t really trus5 what’s in it. Their chocolate tends to be higher sugar, lower milk then Cadbury and just not as good. Pop tarts just taste like sugar to me.

Always make me laugh when they have to cross out one of your five a day on UK products to comply with food law. Also makes me laugh when a box says unnatural flavouring.

Although I do like Reeses peanut butter cups.

Kale chips? I am not joking. I had some that were for Christmas, like peppermint/candy cane, but of course all Kale-Chip-ish made of only good things....... and it looked so gross but when I ate them? Holy mackerel. I went back and bought two more bags.

Kale chips? I am not joking. I had some that were for Christmas, like peppermint/candy cane, but of course all Kale-Chip-ish made of only good things....... and it looked so gross but when I ate them? Holy mackerel. I went back and bought two more bags.

Wow. I had to google that to find many links.

Interesting, though I've never tasted Kale and not had an inclination to do so based on negative comments. Yet it looks like I could buy them at a number of major grocers in the area.

Course I'm still working up the courage to try one of those veggie-burgers...lol. :eek:

Last edited:
Wow. I had to google that to find many links.

Interesting, though I've never tasted Kale and not had an inclination to do so based on negative comments. Yet it looks like I could buy them at a number of major grocers in the area.

Course I'm still working up the courage to try one of those veggie-burgers...lol. :eek:

Some veggie burgers are indistinguishable from regular burgers but it all depends on which veggie burger because they can also be pretty nasty.

I'm American. I'm also from the South (Tennessee) and a majority of the food down here is either covered or cooked in large amounts of butter, has a lot of unhealthy saturated fats, or is heavily carb based. As a result, most of the population is on the heavier side (me included) and, honestly, it sucks. Lol.

I learned in college that people from outside North America hate much of our food. High on the list was peanut butter, many of our soft drinks with doctor pepper and root beer at the top, pop tarts, American cheese, Hershy chocolate, the list went on. Many complained that our diet was too sweet and messed them up with the digestive system too.

I suspect that many North Americans hate or would hate many of the foods from other countries. The "foods" you listed are not really representative of most adult Americans' diets. As far as I know, it is mainly children who eat PopTarts, bland American cheese, cheap Hershey's chocolate, and virtually live on peanut butter, but plenty of adults suck down soft drinks all day long. American desserts usually are sickeningly sweet compared to European desserts.

Taste is relative to many things - socioeconomic standing, custom, location, food availability, what they ate as children, etc. - in all countries. Dr. Pepper and root beer definitely are an acquired taste and the least popular of soft drinks in the US. Both of them are flavored with sassafras leaves, perhaps native only to the US.

Where are you from Prog?

Do you mean me? I'm from the UK originally.

I've always thought it was that cheap sweet cheese sauce that curls many a doomed batch of nachos. :eek:

When I bring such food back home I always cover them in another cheese. Usually a combination of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero cheese.

Tends to dull that sweet taste of that orange paste that probably comes out of a spigot and kills certain lab animals.

This is weird... you quoted @Moonhart44 but it was actually me who wrote that.

Not living in the US, I don't know these products, but I'm not a fan of these heavily processed foods. I've heard Brits complaining about American cheddar, I'm assuming it must be a lot different from the British cheddar that they are used to.

My experience of american food is limited but what I have tried was all weirdly sweet. The bread, the cheese etc... stuff that isn't supposed to be sweet. Except for Hersheys chocoloate, which tasted like vomit.

Some veggie burgers are indistinguishable from regular burgers but it all depends on which veggie burger because they can also be pretty nasty.
The beyond meat burger is the closest sadly in the UK the dreaded Quorn is used, whoever thought it's a food must have no sense of smell, had a vegan sausage roll yesterday ,it still managed to be bland.

New Threads

Top Bottom