• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food habits

Eating around other people is very unpleasant for me. I feel like something is out of tune in my brain whenever someone talks to me while I'm eating, and I'll either have to eat too fast or too slow in order to respond to them. I am frequently in social trouble for being a pig and an anorexic, and I'm bordering on just boycotting the whole social eating thing! J/K
I'm a vegetarian and broke as a joke. My choices tend to be strange, and perhaps dismaying-ly I am the stereotypical autistic person that must always have the same thing. Well not always, but I do get into ruts.

I've been wondering if anyone else has any unusual food-related habits, since my family do make a few comments about what I eat and how I eat - none of their business, but it made me curious to know if anyone does the same!

I usually buy the exact same food from the supermarket every week until I get completely sick of it, usually buying lots of the same thing if it isn't a fresh food. If I go to the same restaurant again, I'll always order the exact same thing each time until I get sick of that as well. I have foods that I become obsessed with for a long time: currently I really like Penn State Sour Cream & Chive pretzels, Terry's Chocolate Orange, vegetarian stuffed peppers, Nando's chicken and macaroni cheese. Clearly not that healthy! In contrast, I really despise anything with pieces of mushroom or tomato in because I can't stand the texture.

Apparently I also hold cutlery strangely according to others (I think their way is strange) and at home I prefer to eat alone.

What foods do you like? Anything you particularly love/hate? Any food habits that other people think are 'weird'?
Haha thats funny

when i was a kid i told my grandmother i liked Fishcakes after i ate 5 in a row, then she told my mum i like fishcakes,so mum gave them to me for breakfast (and sometimes dinner) , then when i visited my grandmother, yes more fishcakes, when i asked " isn't there anything else? " " I thought you liked Fishcakes" she replied mystified. " Not all the time" i said, then they never bought them again Lol. No in-betweens.

I am very fussy about breads of any kind, it has to be a bit dry, i prefer crackers, I hate white bread especially that is overly moist at the bottom and doughy, also cakes, people have got annoyed with me about it, but the thought of swallowing a lump of wet dough makes me gag.

I also don't like to eat fresh peaches and pears. When i was a child Biting into a furry peach felt like biting into a small animal. And whenever i ate a pear the juice would run down my arm under my jumper leaving me sticky and sweet all day attracting wasps. They have to be peeled and chopped.

I went through a phase of making homemade tomato soup and became obsessed with it for a while i moved on to something else. I enjoy to make as many things as i can myself and have just discovered Mung beans sprouted, and korean kimchi ( i love it but it smells bad fermenting)

I eat everything separately and never mix the food together. Tonight I had chicken kiev and coleslaw - I ate them individually instead of putting the two together on my fork. Is anyone else like this?

I was like that as a child ... foods absolutely could not touch each other on the plate either. I finally grew out of it in my teens though. Now, I quite like combining flavors.

I just remembered randomly about a family friend pointing this out years ago and realising that I'm still like this. She's very elegant and eats very 'posh' putting foods together in her fork before it goes in her mouth. Lol. She said I didn't eat 'properly' like her and compared me to her son who did the same eating things separate. I feel uncomfortable having gravy on top of my mash potatoes or chips touching sauce as they go soggy. (like having it made up by someone else)

Last edited:
I feel uncomfortable having gravy on top of my mash potatoes or chips touching sauce as they go soggy. (like having it made up by someone else)

The texture of foods is still very important to me. I can't stand soggy chips, crackers, bread ... basically anything that's suppose to be firm in texture, and I just about have a fit if I get a piece of gristle in any meat I'm eating. I don't eat that much meat anyway because there's a lot about it that I don't like. I like the flavor of meat more than the meat itself. People in my life always tease me about how meticulously I prepare meat before I cook it, and it's because I don't want to bite into anything "unpleasant" while I'm eating. I carve the fat off the lean with the precision of a surgeon ... lol.

Out of all of my weirdness, eating isn't one of them. I will eat almost anything. When I was young, I could eat like a horse. These days I get full sooner. My wife says I'm on a seafood diet. If I see food, I eat it.

I love my happy food-ruts. I live alone, so I can get away with this. I tend to order the exact same thing each time I go to certain restaurants.

Some things I cannot get my spectrum-y mind around, like the concept of iced tea. It's like my persnickety, fuddy-duddy mind recoils at the horror of tea not being warm and in a mug. Sometimes I think my ASD is funny! :D

I have been eating the same breakfast for the last ten years, I've even used exactly the same cup for my tea. I know I'm entering a phase of change, because I've been altering cups and I've been even experimenting with cereal lately.

I eat certain food in squares and rectangles (rice, mashed potatoes).

I've found the perfect brand of rice and I have very hard time enjoying any other rice. (Arabic rice that needs to be soaked for couple of hours, white bag with yellow dot on it, called Shiva, if you see it, you need to try it.)

When I was a kid I always ordered the same meal at the restaurants we went to. I eat exactly the same pizza even today.

I eat everything separately and never mix the food together. Tonight I had chicken kiev and coleslaw - I ate them individually instead of putting the two together on my fork. Is anyone else like this?
My boyfriend does this.

Yep, I go through phases.
I have had times when I ate the same food for months on end.
I have had the same dinners for the last year +, haha.
Salmon, vegetables, sweet potato or root vegetable mash, sometimes an avocado thrown in.
Always followed by an apple and nuts or popcorn.
I buy the same foods to keep in stock.
And when I eat out, I tend not to venture into new territory very often, even though I sit trying to mentally push myself to try something new...there is a fear I will be disappointed if I do.

I'll eat quite a bit of different things, but I often get stuck eating the same few foods over and over. I've burnt my poor husband out on a lot of meals.

Going out, I always want to try something new. I look through the whole menu, get turned off by price or other factors (like pico de gallo, ew!) and end up back with what I started from. Strangely, one of my limitations is limited dishes and I don't have the stomach capacity to order one of everything. In example, at Asian places, I pick the dish that has the rice, noodles, and some meat or veggie. Some of the chow mein and fried rice dishes look delicious, but I don't want to order one of each to try something new since one plate of anything can nearly feed two people. I'd have a feast for six or more by the time I was done! :yum:

Hehe, funny topic!

Generally I don't have problems with different food every day, but sometimes I get stuck temporarily on something. Last week I've been eating for every lunch a sandwich with melted cheese. Another week and I will not touch it for a while, I know. Or the last month I was buying only persimmons (the firm ones) ignoring other fruits and only the last time in supermarket I moved on to mango.

I have issues with texture of food. Most of fruits I have to peel (peaches are just evil!). I almost never eat grapes because I have to peel every grape and I must be careful not to have any witnesses around, haha! Plus it's too annoying.
I still have a very mixed feelings about bananas: I like the taste and hate the texture. I couldn't stand them when I was little, I was nearly terrified when I had a bite the first time, but with time learned to eat them. Somehow...

I don't know if I have any really weird habits. Well, people tend to look strange when they see me eating tomatoes with sugar, which I love. Same goes for grated carrots with sugar. And I hate soggy bread. Oh, I still remember how in kindergarten and elementary school they were giving us a glass of very hot tea with a sweet bun on top of it. Eww, I was the only one who never ate them..

My family always makes fun of me (and sometimes gets angry too) when I leave food on the bottom of the jars in the fridge. I hate to finish these things.. I don't know even why, I just cannot. So I always create a collection of almost-empty jars and someone else has to finish them.
And I never eat already opened cheese after it spent just a night in the fridge, even if it was packed well. It's changes taste and I can't eat it.

There are surely more things about food that didn't come to my mind now..

I have been eating the same breakfast for the last ten years, I've even used exactly the same cup for my tea. I know I'm entering a phase of change, because I've been altering cups and I've been even experimenting with cereal lately.

I eat certain food in squares and rectangles (rice, mashed potatoes).

I've found the perfect brand of rice and I have very hard time enjoying any other rice. (Arabic rice that needs to be soaked for couple of hours, white bag with yellow dot on it, called Shiva, if you see it, you need to try it.)

When I was a kid I always ordered the same meal at the restaurants we went to. I eat exactly the same pizza even today.

My boyfriend does this.
Same here. Every single morning all year round I have a cup of tea and a bowl of porridge. Sometimes I'll upgrade to bacon, egg and toast with a cup of tea in the holidays lol.

I'm very self conscious about my eating habits cause i've always been nagged about it from everyone, family included. I won't eat veggies on sandwiches cause i hate the mixing textures, i won't eat most meat because unless its perfectly cooked the texture bothers me to no end. If my odd eating habit weren't bad enough i eat slowly, always have. I hate eating in front of people cause of it. Someone always has to say something.

Plus growing up eating dinner became a battleground as my parents would always try to make me try corn again or whatever it was i wasn't eating. They would always insist that if i gave it an honest try i'd like it, that i'd just convinced myself i didn't, that i wasn't giving it an honest try and deciding before i even touched it i didn't like it, even though it was usually the same selection of things they tried to force me to finish. My fear of choking on food doesn't help, either. I don't vividly recall but i think i probably got spanked over it too as a kid. That might be me confusing things though.

I still have a very mixed feelings about bananas: I like the taste and hate the texture.

ME TOO! You don't know how relieved and somewhat excited i am to hear someone else say this. I always thought i was a weirdo or something for liking the taste of a banana but almost gagging at the texture.

ME TOO! You don't know how relieved and somewhat excited i am to hear someone else say this. I always thought i was a weirdo or something for liking the taste of a banana but almost gagging at the texture.
Believe me, Kari, I know! :smileycat:

They would always insist that if i gave it an honest try i'd like it, that i'd just convinced myself i didn't, that i wasn't giving it an honest try

I had this problem with coffee.. When I just arrived to Italy and said I don't like coffee, everyone was telling me that it's because I never drank Italian coffee (we know how proud Italians of their coffee!) and were attempting to make me try it again and again, they cannot believe that someone can hate even the smell of it. That's a pity though, I can't eat tiramisu because of it... :pensive:

12239582_10153509534542740_7205276776686290438_n.jpg

Let me see, Peri Peri Chicken (Nando's) but not available in the states so, I have to make it myself but, I do a mean replica. Have to have that once a week.

I thin creamy salad dressings with milk or soy milk until they are almost as thin as milk because they taste too sharp and don't coat the salad properly (lightly buy covering every bit) unless they are thin enough. I order vingarettes ONLY when I dine out for that reason.

I make a huge dinner for Thanksgiving even if I am eating alone.
Roast or deep fried turkey
baked ham
sweet potato casserole
green bean casserole
mashed potatoes
cranberry relish
giblet gravy
fruit salad
pumpkin pie
mince meat pie
sangria
mulled cider
egg nog

Don't care if I am having guests or not, that's what has to be cooked for Thanksgiving and, I insist on cooking PERIOD. *shrug* family tradition that I refuse to give up.

New Threads

Top Bottom