• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food and Drink category?

maycontainthunder

May also contain missing cakes.
V.I.P Member
Sorry if this has been asked before... I was thinking of a few food related threads but there isn't a subforum for this.

Is this idea of interest to anyone?

I know that cooking is creative, but I always found it a poor return on investment. I eat my food very fast, and 30-60 mins prep/cooking time and 5-15 mins of washing up for under 5 minutes of eating always seemed like a terrible return on investment.

I'm more adventurous with what I eat as I got older. But in terms of food in general - I have to be able to prep/make said meal in a couple of minutes, otherwise I'll rapidly lose interest/enthusiasm.

Also, for most of my life I've been a comfort food, sugar and refined carb addict. :eek::eek::eek:

Ed

Raggamuffin, I can understand that alright! There are things like chocolate and cookies that are rather magnetic to our hands.

I just get the feeling that there are some on here that are creative with food... this forum could be an outlet for them to share recipes, advice or new foods that they have discovered.

Having to work in foreign countries, I learned quickly that if one enjoys the local food, one makes inroads to being accepted and making friends. I have eaten some pretty strange things, Durian being such a delicacy. But you also find tasty things, like Elote from a street vendor in Mexico City or Chili Crab in an Indonesian seafood house.

Sorry if this has been asked before... I was thinking of a few food related threads but there isn't a subforum for this.

Is this idea of interest to anyone?

Yep, I'm collecting recipes. I don't have the time to try them all out though... I probably will never cook most of them.

I also enjoy going to local markets and learning about local specialities.
So far, my family favours my Caribbean style shrimps cocktail and my risotto dishes. I tend to keep it simple but I enjoy experimenting with one special ingredient at a time to test out the flavour, for example spices like tonka bean sugar or spice blends like ras el hanout.

Lesser known vegetable and fruit varieties can be found at local fruit stalls and farmer's fairs. I especially enjoy doing so when travelling. You might need to buy the seeds on the internet. I often do that when it's not possible to acquire what I'm looking for in the garden centre.

I love good food, but, preparing it myself I find I get tired and quickly bored.
Most of my life, my Mom who loved to cook, always had healthy and delicious meals.
Now it is mostly fast foods or the microwave chef.
Unless I go to a good restaurant.

Guess I'm a food eater, not a food creator. :confused:

I like cherry tomatoes, Jacob's crackers (never had saltines so don't know if they are the same) like Richmond meat free sausages between 2 slices of bread spread with tomato puree or not very often Heinz tomato ketchup, cheeze and onion crisps made from lentils

I like cherry tomatoes, Jacob's crackers (never had saltines so don't know if they are the same) like Richmond meat free sausages between 2 slices of bread spread with tomato puree or not very often Heinz tomato ketchup, cheeze and onion crisps made from lentils
Years ago, I used to travel thru the original H.J. Heinz plant location in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Heinz ketchup gets it's unique taste from the adding of corn syrup to it during the processing.
Antique Heinz Bottles
Heinz Factory 1897
Heinz passed out promotional plastic pickle pins and once in a while even very special ones like this:
Heinz Centennial Pickle Pins
The plastic pins are still available at the Heinz History Center, but at a cost:
Heinz

Years ago, I used to travel thru the original H.J. Heinz plant location in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Heinz ketchup gets it's unique taste from the adding of corn syrup to it during the processing.
Antique Heinz Bottles
Heinz Factory 1897
Heinz passed out promotional plastic pickle pins and once in a while even very special ones like this:
The plastic pins are still available at the Heinz History Center, but at a cost:
Heinz
I forgot the American English term for brooch, I thought why do you need a PIN to pick up a pickle to eat it, the big collectible in the UK was the robinsons(makers of marmalade) golly (pin\ brooch) which is now very very not politically correct
f1c3d142794729177b32e10a64908a4f--enamels-collection.jpg

Antique Heinz Bottles
Heinz Factory 1897
Heinz
it would depress me if I lost it, every year before remembrance Sunday the British legion (a charity that supports soldiers(also I imagine doctors and nurses) from the UK or who served in the British forces, the people who make the poppies are ex forces)sell paper poppies ,I've now learned don't buy one ,you will lose it, it's a paper red poppy with a plastic green stem, I now have it pinned to my Israel flag which is hanging on the front door, but now there are multiple versions of the poppy in different forms made by other companies and non ex forces who give them to the British legion to sell

it would depress me if I lost it, every year before remembrance Sunday the British legion (a charity that supports soldiers(also I imagine doctors and nurses) from the UK or who served in the British forces, the people who make the poppies are ex forces)sell paper poppies ,I've now learned don't buy one ,you will lose it, it's a paper red poppy with a plastic green stem, I now have it pinned to my Israel flag which is hanging on the front door, but now there are multiple versions of the poppy in different forms made by other companies and non ex forces who give them to the British legion to sell
It appears that we do in fact share some common ground.
My last poppy that was purchased from the American Legion is proudly displayed in front of my monitor :)
20220110_153651.jpg

I'm so traumatised by the thought of losing it that I won't even go and take a picture of it in case I do something and lose it here is a download of an exact copy though
31TPbbRgugS._AC_.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom