• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fixing to obtain a drivers license!

Dillon

so I am at this moment in getting my divers license before the end of December and I’m pretty excited about it. I had to go to the DPS office (Delartment of Public Safety) where I had to register for a learners permit. I thought only teens under 18 are only required for a learners permit and I was exempt from one, but there is one for adults from 20-26 years old. I had to take a 6 hour online course throughout the week which was beneficial and boring at the same time. I’ll be getting more comfortable in the road for a couple weeks riding with my mom before I take the actual road test. The only thing I’m afraid of not passing is parallel parking but I’m sure it won’t be that bad. Earlier I drove about 20 miles on public road and even did some back up out of the parking lot and I can say I’m getting off to a pretty good start.

I had been driving since I was 13 years old but I never saw the need to have a license even in high school since my school was literally 3 minutes from my house and I could just walk. I went to community college after high school for a year and never needed one since I either had my mom or a friend drop me off and I was totally fine with that.

Now it seems like when I transitioned in a 4-year University they pressure you into getting a license and a car considering they assume you are “grown adults” when half of these people at my campus are quite immature and yet they had licenses in high school and everything else handed to them from what I can tell. I’ve been criticized and ridiculed lately for not have neither of those things and you know what I no longer care cause I worked for what I want, not just sitting around waiting for my mom to hand deliver me something.

I feel like I’m sounding mature here but honestly I get tired of selfish entitled people and I would say to people who act this way you have the problem not me. Some people are seriously slower than others when it comes to things like this. I’ve been taking a Uber/Lyft recently since there is no way at all to get off campus without a car and I can say that was worth it to get way from being stuck on a isolated island and having nothing to do on the weekends but it will also a temporary use once I get a truck down at the college by spring semester.

My point is I had been really patient in getting what I want and being 22 is still young knowing that there are people I know who are the same age or older who don’t have licenses or a car so I honestly do not feel bad. Like I said I didn’t care that much around 18-19 years old while other people were having stuff handed to them I wanted to do other things than spending thousands of dollars that I doing have then on a vehicle.

It’s a good thing for me I chose to work on this now and getting it out of the way. Hopefully the whole process goes really well as I’m actually getting more and more comfortable driving.

Sounds like it'll be just fine!

I didn't really have anyone to practice with or have a car to practice with, so most of my practice was done during the test!

I failed twice and barely passed the third time! :cool:

Great!!! Do they still make you parallel park? If you want, you can practice in an empty parking lot.
I made the mistake of trying to teach my daughter to drive in my car which is straight drive. She was having to focus on driving AND changing gears and how to use the clutch. I took her to an empty parking lot. A phone pole was almost directly in front of us and she almost backed into it. I decided to get her a cheap van with auto transmission. lol
You'll do fine.

Great!!! Do they still make you parallel park? If you want, you can practice in an empty parking lot.
I made the mistake of trying to teach my daughter to drive in my car which is straight drive. She was having to focus on driving AND changing gears and how to use the clutch. I took her to an empty parking lot. A phone pole was almost directly in front of us and she almost backed into it. I decided to get her a cheap van with auto transmission. lol
You'll do fine.

I've never heard "straight drive," that's another term for manual? :eek:

Over here we just call it "normal". Automatics are a rarity. If you take your driving test in an an automatic you are ONLY allowed to drive automatics. I had an automatic a few years back and I never will again.
I hope it all goes well for you Dillon. Driving is a great boost to freedom and allows you to do so much more. It would be better for all of us if that weren't true and public transport were up to the task, but as things are, it's a worthwhile skill to (legally) have :)

About 15 years ago I applied for a Provisional license, and was refused because of my AS and other disabilities, they also said because I had anger management issues back then, I'd be a candidate for "road rage".

Now, I know I'll never drive, but since the GDPR came in, I kind of need a driving license to use as ID document for applying for work.

Over here we just call it "normal". Automatics are a rarity. If you take your driving test in an an automatic you are ONLY allowed to drive automatics. I had an automatic a few years back and I never will again.
I hope it all goes well for you Dillon. Driving is a great boost to freedom and allows you to do so much more. It would be better for all of us if that weren't true and public transport were up to the task, but as things are, it's a worthwhile skill to (legally) have :)
It's opposite here - you rarely see manual anymore and the majority can not drive them. So 2 things I worry less about - 1 my car being stolen by some kids wanting to take a joy ride. 2 someone asking to borrow my car. :D When I bought this vehicle I had a hard time finding one with a manual transmission.
So, can you go back and take another test later in a manual transmission?

Yes you can, but so few people take their test in an automatic it's a rarity. I knew someone in a big city who wanted to learn in an automatic and couldn't find an instructor with a suitable car.
The only reason I got an automatic myself a few years back was that when I went to lease a new car it happened to be on the forecourt to take that day rather than waiting a couple of weeks for the manual equivalent. I regretted that decision. Still - the next car I got was a Qashqai and I loved it so much I've had three on the trot :)

Still - the next car I got was a Qashqai and I loved it so much I've had three on the trot :)
I'll look Qashqai up so I'll know what it is. And I had no idea what is "three on the trot". I love hearing slang terms from other places. :)
I'm partial to Mitsubishi - had a mirage, then a lancer and now an outlander sport - all manual. They're affordable and last longer than most American made cars.

ok - it's a Nissan.

On the trot means one after the other :)

I had a Mitsubishi Colt a few years back - before they messed up the shape. Very tidy little motor that was :)

Qashqai
2016-nissan-qashqai-00.jpg

Good luck. Not having my license is the most unfortunate part of my Autism IMO.

What gets me as well is that contrary to popular belief, Autism is NOT a "mental illness", yet some government Departments think it is.

New Threads

Top Bottom