• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fireworks, and other topics...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Canada Day last night and the big fireworks show, in the past I've rarely bothered with watching them but a friend I've recently met invited me.

First impression: I drove to a park where the best viewing area is, the city where I live restricts parking on fireworks nights and the main street that goes through was already backed up with traffic, I was fortunate to find a parking fairly easy but several blocks away from the viewing area, and this was almost two hours before they even started!

Second impression: It took me awhile to get over to the viewing area, already crowded, managed to find my friend several texts later, then the "simple" task of trying to keep ourselves occupied in conversation for close to an hour, not my favourite thing to do.

Third impression: They were excellent fireworks, according to my friend, some of the best we've had in a long time, fireworks don't scare me, I'm just not all that interested in them, I often feel I'm the only one who thinks that way.

Fourth impression: Eventually worked my way over to my car after the fireworks, the main street through the neighbourhood was bumper to bumper, nothing moving much at all, I devised a plan to zig zag through the inner core of the neighbourhood to take a long cut way around to avoid the worst traffic mess, it still took me ages. I didn't get home until almost 1 AM

Would I do it again? I'm not sure, or would plan to get there via a different way to avoid traffic frustrations which was the biggest part, it took way too much time and effort for what was a 30 minute fireworks show, but I am trying to get know this friend better.

Another typical Aspie story? I can take to crowds well as I've said here on the forum, I did manage to make it through all of this without getting too frustrated, that's a victory for me, as I rather dislike any sort of lineup.

I love to look at fireworks, but I can't stand the noise at all. Luckily on Bonfire Night, I can just stay inside and look out of the windows at everyone else's fireworks.

Neither my wife or I have much interest in fireworks. The bad part is that all the kids in the neighborhood set off fireworks every night until the 5th or so. The fireworks do not bother us so much, but the dogs go into a barking frenzy with every bang. Six barking Chihuahuas is a lot louder than the fireworks.

Professional displays are great. But amateurs using them where strictly prohibited...not so much.

fireworks don't scare me, I'm just not all that interested in them, I often feel I'm the only one who thinks that way.

Neither do they scare me, they simply don't interest me after the first few times. Where I live they sell packs of celebratory fireworks in every gas station, depanneur, discount store. At one hundred dollars per pack they seem a silly waste of hard earned money.

Yet for the last few nights there have been roving groups of people setting off fireworks well into the night; poppers, whistlers, some that sound like gunshots. Some set off so close to the houses, that I worry about fires. I'm surprised there are not more accidents, from these stealth revelers. They rove and run about in the dark, as it's illegal to set them off in populated areas, the police rarely catch them.

I've never been into fireworks personally but last year we went to three shows for the kid and this year, yesterday we did a few small backyard ones, on the 4th we'll be going to a show. I'm not too excited, was much more fun when I could drink lmao. I always HATED how loud they are. The best one last year was the show where they kept screwing up, they had many explosions just a few feet off the ground, I swore they were going to blow up the park, I was pretty drunk so I just laughed and laughed every time they screwed something up. We weren't too close thankfully. I know the paramedics were all back there where the workers were probably wtf the whole time.

I use to live in a town that hosted an annual fireworks convention, this was for municipalities to choose the professional fireworks that they wanted for their holiday celebrations. The good thing was I could watch the show from the comfort of my own driveway two miles away.

Nope, I stay away from the public shows because it tends to bring out the worst in public behavior.

A reminder of amateur fireworks from a few years ago, not near a house!

The infamous New Year's Eve of Y2K, we all remember that. A group of church friends in our young adult group went to a lake in central Alberta for the big event. Middle of winter, ice covered lake of course. Someone in the group brought along some small fireworks and we did our own small fireworks show on the ice, there were no buildings nearby for those who might be concerned. A very special moment.

And because of where we were, we really had no clue if the world had imploded because computers may or may not caught on.

upload_2018-7-4_10-17-0.png

New Threads

Top Bottom