• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding part time work

hatfullofrain

Why is it so difficult to find part time work that isn't draining?

I work in IT and I am suffering from burn out. I have been looking for part time work, but the only jobs are shop work, care work, cleaning, delivery drivers, some admin.

There's no point leaving a desk job to go to a physical job, even with less hours, I'll be just as exhausted if not more so.

I'm sitting working at almost 11pm because I'm stuck with something that really needs to be completed for my job and I've already spent way too much time on it. I'm so stressed.

This sounds tough. I think we often have to work longer to achieve results at work. I know I do. But I did find work I enjoyed and felt was worthwhile, that helped. Have you tried working for a cause you care about, or maybe think about retraining so that you can do a job you care about more? In the UK one can often negotiate part time hours, with some employers at least.

This is the new career.

If I work part time at this job I would still be up late because I'm so rubbish at it, but I'm too tired from doing the job to do more training. It's a vicious cycle.

do you have vacation time? Idk how regular jobs work wth that, but maybe save enough over tiem to have a few days off so you can just chill?

Have you tried part time hours in this new career yet?

Or even not giving yourself such a hard time and believing you're "rubbish at it"
(Has somebody at work said that to you?)

Perhaps you spend longer on a project because you're meticulous and thorough?
- Is that a bad thing?

With physical jobs I can sublimate the cortisol and adrenalin;
as a result of social stresses, into the work itself.
Burn it off physically as I work.

I'm sorry I don't know how IT jobs work, ie, what's expected, what's normal
and so am unable to make any suggestions for you to try.

I hope you get some R&R during your time off :)

Part-time is just about the same as working 40 hours for me. l need destress time equally for either one.

New Threads

Top Bottom