• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding nemo and relating to the loss of aquarium fish

Turbocks

So I have watched the well known pixar movie called Finding nemo several times in the past not only is it a great movie it's one of the greatest pixar movies of all time if not one of the greatest animated movies in my opinion .

But now that I am a freshwater aquarist which I have been for around a year now this movie hit's different once you become aware of the fact that many aquarium fish especially clownfish like the ones seen in the movie have been or are neglected or abused ,maybe not to the extent seen in the movie but it most certainly is an issue even today with the internet being as wide spread as it is.

I have also lost fish in the past mainly due to unfortunate circumstances such as the time I lost one of my marbled hatchetfish when it jumped out of my tank and died ,or the times I lost fish due to unknown reasons such as the time I found one of my corydoras catfish dying on the bottom of my tank even though I make sure not to overfeed them and change the water once a week and yes that tank had been running for about a year at that point and it had been living there since the very beginning as one of the fish I used to cycle my tank.

When I lose fish or they become ill especially ones that have been with me for a long time it always hits me hard just like in that scene during the beginning of the movie when most of the eggs had been eaten and he finds that one surviving egg.

Fishkeeping in general for me is so much more than just something that looks pretty and moves around while also not being that challenging to care for once you do the research , it's a perfect opportunity for me to observe and learn about their native enviroments
and how to best replicate them in a closed tank enviroment and to give them the best quality of life possible even if it means having an oversized tank for tiny fish like cardinal tetras and overkill equipment just to keep them in top health for years to come.

The strange thing is that when this movie came out and also when the sequel Finding Dory came out there was an absolute boom when it came to the sales of common clown fish and blue tangs mainly because of kids persuading their parents to buy these fish and doing very little if any type of research regarding their care(blue tangs get way too big for most home aquarists and clown fish can get quite agressive at times ) .

And I refuse to use the name Nemo for clownfish instead I prefer calling them by their species name either in Latin such as Amphiprion ocellaris or common oscillaris clownfish.
If I ever get myself into the saltwater aquarium hobby I want to make sure I keep only captive bred fish and organisms like corals and anemones not only because of the effects climate change has on the enviroments these fish live in but also the fact that the seas are getting more acidic and that temperatures are rising and that collecting fish from the seas only worsens the problem where fish decrease in numbers because of climate change.

No more finding Nemo: Clownfish may not adapt to changing climate, go extinct

The very message of the movie in my opinion was to not get fish straight from the ocean and to let them stay there yet so many bought these fish species because of these movies.

This text is getting quite lenghty at this point and it might sound like I am ranting which could be the case but to summarise it I just want to get my point of view across as a fellow aquarist and my view on Finding Nemo as a movie and how it makes me feel while watching it and how I can relate to it as well as my critique of keeping wild caught fish from the sea which is the kind of critique the movie deals with so well.

If we think we are born with certain inalienable rights, then the same is true for all creatures.

I haven't seen the film, but keeping fish properly seems important. There was a tank in a workplace I used to visit, I always went to say hello, there was one little guy who wasn't doing well, sadly, though the others were. One time I went he was gone.

I like to see Koi carp in lakes there's one relatively near and they are all different, silver, white, gold, grey, some are vast. They just swim in a leisurely way. Beautiful fish.

I haven't seen the film, but keeping fish properly seems important. There was a tank in a workplace I used to visit, I always went to say hello, there was one little guy who wasn't doing well, sadly, though the others were. One time I went he was gone.

I like to see Koi carp in lakes there's one relatively near and they are all different, silver, white, gold, grey, some are vast. They just swim in a leisurely way. Beautiful fish.

My daughter's partner's job is taking care of those aquariums and aviaries in hospitals, old age homes, etc. But she is very concientious and always takes the sick ones home to try and nurse them back to health.

For many years, I had a 180 gallon freshwater tank. I went through a few different types of fish, large cichlids and large, fancy plecos (a lot of work). I ended up with a planted tank with an assortment of "labyrinth" species like gouramis. I believe the natural ecosystem balance is roughly 100:1 pounds of plants:fish,...then you won't need to use a filter. I had a small pump simply for water circulation,...and of course, the proper lighting for the plants. Once that tank took off, the only maintenance was pruning plants every few months, or so. I would take garbage bags full of excess plant material out of that tank,...even had plants flowering outside the tank,...got a bit ridiculous.:D We ended up moving to a different home and there was no room for the tank,...so ended up selling everything,...found the fish new homes, etc. A fun hobby,...done right, it can be quite the conversation piece in the home.

New Threads

Top Bottom