• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finally finding success working in people's homes

Khendra

V.I.P Member
Those of you who have seen some of my past posts may have noted that employment has been a massive struggle for me despite lots of academic success. From 2009-2017, I never had a job that lasted more than a year. My most recent "traditional" job, lunch room aide, lasted only from October to December. I had trouble adapting and taking on more supervisory roles when the two lead lunch room supervisors were sick/absent, and eventually blew up when I had the assistance of only one sub and couldn't handle the manipulation of all the kids in the lunch room.

Well, I think after all this time, I may have finally found my niche. I decided to focus on one-on-one tutoring (I'd had some success as a substitute teacher aide for a single student last school year before someone was hired full-time for that position), as well as cleaning people's homes (my husband says I'm a good housekeeper, and I'd had jobs before as a direct support professional where keeping up the home of individuals with disabilities was part of the line of work). The tutoring started in October or November -- I help a first grader at his home to help out his parents, who have some physical disabilities -- and it has gone really well; his parents say he's improved a lot under my teaching. The house-cleaning I started a couple of weeks ago, and the two homes I've started at gave me very positive feedback on my initial cleanings.

The interesting thing about these jobs is that they are both in people's homes. I'm only under the direction of what they want me to do, not trying to deal with the public and dozens of others, or any corporate expectations. This is much easier for me to deal with; there aren't 20 or more social cues to read at any time, or constant change to have to adapt to, other than what they tell me is needed.

Maybe this is what I should have been doing all along.

Glad you found something you enjoy :) I too have issues staying at a job for more than one year. The one job I had for two years, at the year mark I switched departments so it was like a change for me.

Ever understand why it is hard for us to keep jobs longer than a year? I can't seem to figure it out for myself... partly out of boredom and wanting to move on, the other is I get so frustrated with people I want to get away from them

Mine is always related to frustration management. When things aren't going well, or aren't going as planned, it's hard to stay calm and think of alternate solutions under pressure. I get very upset and can't handle what's going on around me.

New Threads

Top Bottom