• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling Full After Eating

TheMonkeyStink

Hello All,

I’m trying to correlate various aspects of my makeup with conditions that are considered associated with being on the spectrum. I’m starting the process of getting a formal diagnosis and I want to make notes to myself of things to bring up.

Anyways, I read a while back that sometimes folks on the spectrum never feel full after eating, but I don’t recall where I read it. Does anybody know if not feeling full is actually associated with ASD in any way? And does this have a name?

Thank you!

Interesting.
I have the opposite when it comes to eating. I never feel hunger and don't want to eat.
I just make myself eat because I know I have to. Then I don't feel anything after I do either.
Don't feel full or not full. Nothing.

I sure feel the pain of fibromyalgia, yet I can sustain accidentally cutting or hitting myself against
something and not even know it happens until later I see it or a bruise.
Then I have to think back as to how and where I may have gottten it.

I’ve heard before that there’s a relation between autism and overeating because some people on the spectrum lack a feeling of satiety and instead keep eating until they’re chock full of food. This is the case for me. I need to carefully monitor what I eat because otherwise I’ll keep eating until I am bloated and in pain. Sometimes I’ll eat ad nauseam when I’m not careful.

The link that hippychick posted is very interesting. I don't think we pay enough attention to the conditions that cause us to behave irrationally. Food is a comfort for many ailments, but it isn't always a healthy remedy. We can't just react to impulses without being aware of what they are asking us to do. I can eat out of boredom. Boredom is the real enemy.

Interesting.
I have the opposite when it comes to eating. I never feel hunger and don't want to eat.
I just make myself eat because I know I have to. Then I don't feel anything after I do either.
Don't feel full or not full. Nothing.

I sure feel the pain of fibromyalgia, yet I can sustain accidentally cutting or hitting myself against
something and not even know it happens until later I see it or a bruise.
Then I have to think back as to how and where I may have gottten it.

Not feeling hungry also relates to interoception and the inability to recognise the internal signals of our bodies.

Me too! I actually ended up being referred to the hospital (terrified) after finding a lump and, on thorough investigation there, it turned out I had bumped myself and caused the lump. No memory of doing so, no awareness of doing so. I often find bruises on myself and have no idea how they happened.
Also, like you, Susan, I do very much feel the pain of fibromyalgia. What complex and complicated bodies some of us have!

I often do not feel hunger or thirst until my whole body is "screaming" at me to pay attention to it. I've both eaten too much and starved myself. Same goes with hydration and I often error on not hydrating enough. I "work through" a lot of conditions and symptoms that sideline many NTs. I am accident prone and clumsy too. I hurt myself often without realizing how, in many ways. I pretty much am not stopped by pain until I am in tears or distressed about it. On an NTs pain scale, that level would be a 10+. I just dont recieve the pain signals that same way an NT would.

I often do not feel hunger or thirst until my whole body is "screaming" at me to pay attention to it. I've both eaten too much and starved myself. Same goes with hydration and I often error on not hydrating enough. I "work through" a lot of conditions and symptoms that sideline many NTs. I am accident prone and clumsy too. I hurt myself often without realizing how, in many ways. I pretty much am not stopped by pain until I am in tears or distressed about it. On an NTs pain scale, that level would be a 10+. I just dont recieve the pain signals that same way an NT would.

I am able to relate strongly to all of this.

New Threads

Top Bottom