• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling assaulted by sounds

For me, a single loud sound (like a metal concert or a lawn mower) is not that big of an issue, it's multiple different noises at once that is. My dad has some noise cancelling headphones he uses in the shooting range, so I usually borrow one of those. Right now we're holding a family gettogether. Two young children are running around and screaming, playing loud music on repeat, while adults are holding several parallel conversations. So I'm wearing a headphone like that, it filters most of the noise. It also has a mic that you can turn on, so you actually hear people talking around you, but it shuts down in response to sudden loud noises (like a clap).

Also fun fact, if you drink fizzy drinks while wearing noise cancelling headphones, you can hear the bubbles dissolve in your mouth. It's quite fascinating.

I hate lawn mowers so much

Aww, yeah it can be hard. For me it depends how much else I've had to put up with - and I hate more than just lawn mower noise. So, if other things are going fine I can cope much more easier. If not, it can be torture.

Some great suggestions have been given. I use earplugs and I also have some good headphones. They aren't noise cancelling...I'd like to try those.

New Threads

Top Bottom