• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fear/targeted/tricked by the police

ANTHONY LAF

I've been thrown in jail because the cop wanted to look at my phone. Cops aren't trained in autism and see an easy autistic people as an easy target. My autism makes cops think I'm on drugs.

BTW I didn't have to go to court, just a bunch of tickets. Anyone else get this kind of crap.

I have a medical marijuana license.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't necessary here, but you're going to have to get an official diagnosis before you can declare it in court.

That is why we have the auti-pass in the netherlands. It is a pass with a foldercase. On the foldercase there is a checklist of things you can choose to check with statements like: I dont like to be touched and other things in general.
Besides that on the pass itself there is a small explantion what autism itself is.
Personally I have bad experience with cops because of my childhood. I have never been arrested or hold up against my will.
I think communcation is the best way to start. This is how I avoid to get into trouble wich isnt needed if it isnt my fault.
But because im mostly nervous, I always say first when they aproach me : "Sir can I show you something before you talk to me? it is important to me. If you can give me a moment then you will know why" and then I mostly explain that I need to be in my wallet. After showing the card they are mostly really respectfull and try to help me in the way they think is right. I feel like that pass gives me a huge benefit when it comes to my fear of cops. I still dont understand fully why I am afraid of cops but I feel like as long as I didnt do anything wrong, or without knowing it is wrong I can still explain myself and might escape drama.

I'm not trying to invalidate your experiences and I don't know what other factors in your life other than autism might be causing police to target you, but for me I found that because I was raised to view cops very much the same way you do (your last paragraph sounds exactly like my dad) I projected a lot of tension that caused them to focus on me. When I met a few of them out of uniform and started to see them as individuals instead of an institution the tension went away and so did the attention. That said I'm a white Canadian woman from a place with very chill police so YMMV.

Here is a relevant reply I made to another thread about how the police once treated me, please click here and skip to "How visualisation issues once got me arrested".

There has been a few other incidents too.

Thankfully, I've never had any trouble with cops. I've been stopped a few times, but they're generally very calm and respectful. Some of my friends are very anti-establishment and automatically disrespect or even loathe any person that works for the police, but I don't understand that. I definitely don't understand the need to antagonize members of the police. To me, a cop is neither worthy of automatic respect or loathing. It's a person doing a job I could never do, and I'm glad they're around. Some bad people are cops, some good people are cops, and I've been lucky enough to only encounter the good ones. Also, I've never done anything to warrant police attention, so I don't encounter cops that often, other than on the job :p

^
It's young cops that are looking to bust everyone. Cops and criminals are much alike a guy with a gun a little bit of power. I've run into some cool cops ive run into some cops that were jacka--. I know I'm an easy target and cops are grown-up jocks that like picking on people and going up their butt.

Please also see my first reply for a further incident that was definitely autism related. Now I have more time I will write about a few more incidents:

Firstly here is another incident I've already wrote about on another thread, in fact the whole thread is also relevant:

Police watchdog orders force to re-investigate treatment of autistic man

The police sometimes antagonise members of the public, especially younger people and this may or may not be autism related. I'm not sure why I was targeted when I was younger with the following incidents in the UK, perhaps it was my body language which could have been autism related:

Once I'd had a few drinks which I'd done many times before when I was younger, but I most definitely wasn't drunk and was able to walk briskly and talk perfectly fine, I was never ever in the slightest bit violent or aggressive. I left a pub to briskly walk about a mile home, but a police van pulled up about 50 yards ahead of me and a load of police officers got out. As I was walking an officer started approaching in the opposite direction on the pavement on collision course, I went right, he went right, I went left, he went left and so on in order to purposefully block my path ahead. The officer was immediately extremely rude and disrespectful talking to me like I was scum and yet I'd done absolutely nothing wrong, in fact he was purposely trying to bully me and I believe he wanted me to have a meltdown/lose my temper to give him the excuse to arrest me, he even came very close to my face and shouted names at me and he was extremely abusive, I felt like pushing him back out of my space as I felt threatened, but I think that's what he hoped so he could arrest me. He demanded to know my name and where I was going and started threatening to arrest me, I asked what for and he said, "drunk and disorderly" which was totally and utterly false and he kept telling me to "shut up" or be arrested. I asked to see his serial number because I said that I wanted to make a complaint and he threatened me again, then he showed me and shouted in a high pitched voice while throwing himself about like a child, "here you go, here's my number, go on then report me, it won't get you anywhere", he even dared me to complain and he continued calling me nasty horrid names like a childish bully. The very abusive and threatening police officer finally let me go on condition that I went straight home which is what I was doing before he blocked my path and started threatening me for absolutely no reason. I wanted to make a formal complaint and I truly wish I had, but my parents told me that the police would all know and hate me if I did with possible retribution, in fact they went nuts at me telling me to leave it and eventually I gave in.

On another occasion it was early evening and I was quietly waiting for a bus in a local town centre with a friend. I heard some money drop on the floor and looked down to see a 1 pence coin which I didn't touch. A very aggressive police officer came marching over and demanded to know who threw it, unbeknown to myself someone had apparently chucked the 1 pence coin at him and for some reason he was utterly convinced it was me. He went absolutely nuts, telling me I was a coward for not admitting it, I was called everything including scum and much more, he wouldn't listen when I tried to explain repeatedly that I hadn't done it even though there was hundreds of people standing there. He stormed off and started asking everyone nearby, pointing at me repeatedly, then he came back and had another major go at me, again threatening to arrest me for absolutely nothing, he was very abusive and bullying. He came into my face on multiple occasions and was extremely abusive causing a major scene in front of loads of people, again he was desperately trying to get me to react to give him any excuse to arrest me, a lot of people would have lost their temper and at least pushed him back out of their space and he would have then called it assault on a police officer when he was the perpetrator. In the end we was forced to miss our bus and quickly leave the area when he was yet again asking other people for witnesses and this time looked the other way as I am certain he would have found some way of arresting me in the end, he was determined. Again I wanted to make a formal complaint and again my parents went nuts at me not to.

I was waiting for a bus with a small holdall of clothing which I'd had washed at my parents house and a police car slowed down as it went past with both police officers inside starring at me (a man and a women), the car turned around, stopped and both officers approached me. I always remember the first thing one police officer said which was, "have you done any meter readings lately?". Obviously I hadn't got a clue what they were talking about and when I said, "what are you talking about?" one of them replied, "you would say that wouldn't you?". Apparently I matched the description of a criminal who had been scamming and stealing from elderly and vulnerable people and entered their property by posing as someone coming to read their gas/electricity meter. I was going to be arrested because they seemed convinced it was me and I was pretty frightened while repeatedly protesting my innocence. I was searched including my bag and I wasn't allowed to leave when my bus arrived causing me to miss it. After being treated pretty badly I think the officers finally realised they might have got it wrong when they found only innocent clothes in my bag when they expected to find a false ID/uniform and luckily since I had proof of ID including proof of my address on me they did finally let me go, stating that they would visit if they needed to make further enquiries (there was no follow up). I don't think this was directly related to autism, although perhaps my autistic body language made them further suspicious when they noticed me and since I kept repeating myself this probably wound them up the wrong way too. I did however understand that the police officers were trying to do their job on this occasion and simply made a mistake, obviously they were genuinely trying to catch a real "scum bag". I never received an apology however for the way I was treated and I was also greatly embarrassed in front of numerous other people who were also waiting at the bus stop (when the public see incidents like that they tend to automatically assume the person is guilty).

I've also been subject to numerous stop checks with varying degrees of cutesy. I've witnessed and/or heard about a few other horrid incidents involving other people including friends too, but they're not autistic.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of problems with the police... I do sometimes sense they are often grown up bullies with a gun, and way too much power... I see them treat others very abruptly and doing so mostly out of an ego mindset... Yet they do have dangerous jobs and do need to protect themselves.

I really think sometimes "To serve and protect" went out the window (with new anti-terrorist policies) and its now to dominate and profile.

I do hope I am wrong, and I hope at some point a new mindset will be put back into the policing business and the dirty cop thing is more a thing or the past... But with a mafia style government and a legal system made on twisted truths, and based on status and how much crime you can BUY... Its pretty messed up.

With that said... I do truly KNOW there are very good policeman, lawyers, and politicians. I just wish there were a lot more... : )

Also I get extremely nervous and shake when I am upset, so they tend to start asking lots of questions and so far I have never had any really bad run ins, just a few close calls.

Thankfully, I've never had any trouble with cops. I've been stopped a few times, but they're generally very calm and respectful. Some of my friends are very anti-establishment and automatically disrespect or even loathe any person that works for the police, but I don't understand that. I definitely don't understand the need to antagonize members of the police. To me, a cop is neither worthy of automatic respect or loathing. It's a person doing a job I could never do, and I'm glad they're around. Some bad people are cops, some good people are cops, and I've been lucky enough to only encounter the good ones. Also, I've never done anything to warrant police attention, so I don't encounter cops that often, other than on the job :p
I was also taught to respect the UK police and I truly did, but after being shocked by their inappropriate behaviour and by the way I've been treated on a number of occasions (please see my replies above) my views changed. I have never purposely antagonised the police and even now I never would, but they have definitely gone out of their way to antagonise me. Now I'm very reluctant to call or even speak to the police in case they're abusive, threatening, unreasonable and/or looking for an unfair way to arrest me, I try to avoid them. If I do report a crime I prefer to do it anonymously. Their inappropriate and sometimes even shocking behaviour is the entire cause of this. I have on a few occasions however been relieved when police officers have been reasonable, polite and helpful, it's not all the police, but there are definitely quite a few bad apples and it's certainly been proven to me that the police in general cannot be trusted.

The police are also sadly under resourced in many countries including the UK, for instance I see drug dealing in my area most days, it's been reported on countless occasions and I've even reluctantly given my name hoping to speak to my community officer along with my friend, yet it still goes on unchecked for literally years and I sometimes wonder whether the community officer even exists as you can never ever actually see or talk to him despite many requests. Obviously if a few plain clothed police officers simply sat nearby in an unmarked vehicle for a day they'd catch a number of drug dealers along with many hard drug addicts (they're normally also offered help if they're arrested), it would greatly help to clear up the problem in the area and pass on a clear message that it won't be tolerated, but this never ever happens and it's almost like they want to keep a certain level of crime (well it keeps them in a job). It gets to the stage where people think, what's the point in reporting crime any more as nothing ever gets done to stop it and it can put the person reporting it at risk too. A friend even ended up in the local newspaper for trying to stand up against the drug problem by reporting it, he told the paper about how nothing was being done by the police hoping it would finally improve things and kick the police into action, but instead he was threatened by various people in the area for it while being repeatedly been called a "grass", and still the police did absolutely nothing, he's now been intimidated to stop for his own safety. While all this goes on unchecked and much more, the police still seem to have time to intimidate innocent people and you therefore surely have to understand how I now feel about them?

Last edited:
I am afraid of the possibilities that the cop reprsents, not the person. I trust more in the individuality of a police oficer, than the curruption of a system. yeah. he is a guy who has power over me, and may give me a bad day, though. I don't think the cop goes home satisfied with all the normal people he ticketed.

Who knows if when he pulls me over, he will ticket me or not, but i can act in ways to prevent the former possibility, and accept the neggative as a possibility, so not to be scared of it.

Comunication and proffesionalism. no one gets everything right, the cop knows that because it isnt about mistakes, it is about being able to keep the wall up, no matter how many bricks come out of it.

The cops tricked some autistic student in cali for selling weed to an undercover cop because he was trying to make friends

Sounds like entrapment, it wouldn't stand up in court in the UK for this reason. An officer can't legally lead someone on, he/she can't ask the person or even encourage them to commit a crime in any way, in this situation the person would have to come to them to sell drugs or be caught selling drugs elsewhere with no provocation what-so-ever from the officer. For instance the officer wouldn't be allowed to ask him to sell his medication as he is asking him to commit a crime (assuming this is illegal in the USA, it is in the UK to sell prescribed drugs) and similarly he couldn't ask him to buy illegal drugs for him or even hint at it. I take it the law is different in the USA because it needs to be changed? This is shocking and wrong.

In the UK even if a vice squad officer is posing as a prostitute and a suspect pulls up beside her in his car, she can't just offer the obvious curb crawler sex, in fact she can't even mention sex, she has to wait for the driver to ask, if the driver asks, "how much?", she will have to respond with something like, "how much for what?" or even "what do you mean?", there can be no leading as even this is entrapment and until the driver actually asks for her for sex he hasn't committed a crime. It's not even legal for officers to leave items purposely in open view in a car to catch car thieves as even this can be classed as entrapment, I think that's taking it too far however.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom