• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fear of lightning/thunder: Is this common amongst aspies?

I love lightning and thunder. It's a whole experience and I find it hard to concentrate on something else when it happens. I also like the smell afterwards.

I can not stand thunderstorms at all. And it's all becuase when I was at camp in 2004, there was a storm so bad, that I had to run outside in it. We were on a camp out and had to run back to the cabin. There was so much lightning. In the morning in looked like a tornado had hit only that that had not got the buildings. The power was out for a few hours becuase of that. I have been scared of thunder storms ever scien. I was never scared of them until then.

I enjoy it. Just as long as there's distance between me and the actual strike it's all good. Fear of lightning and thunder isn't just an aspie thing either, there are a couple of folks I know who are absolutely terrified when they hear anything of the sort.

I love thunderstorms and grew up by the sea- I have a healthy respect for the weather.I find it exciting even now-as a kid I used to stand outside waiting for lightening strikes-since having spinal surgery and being full of metalwork I've decided to stop that. I suppose if you live in tornado valley and your house is in danger of being relocated maybe you might have a slightly different opinion-I am not aware of this being an asperger affliction. last point i'll leave the 7 time lightening strike record to another lucky punter.

I love them. If I can get a good seat by a window or in a garage with the door up where I can watch a storm, I am a happy girl. The louder and the brighter the better. If the lightning is particularly great I'll take my camera out and try for some long exposures.

I'm all right with them as long as I'm inside; however, I HATE going outside in storms. I always run to get inside as quickly as I can.

I love thunderstorms, sure loud claps of thunder make me jump but on the whole I love them. Now tornadoes are a different matter, I have always been afraid of them even though we hardly get any here.

I grew up on tank water and it was always a concern if we'd have enough until the next downpour that would fill it. Consequently I love all rain, except when we have it for weeks on end in the summer. Hot and humid is not pleasant to live with physically, but when it gets to the point where mold starts growing on furniture, that's just a bit much.

As for thunderstorms, I love it. I love sitting by a window watching the clouds, the sheets of rain, the lightning. I love the rumble of the thunder in the distance, but I hate the crack if it's close. That scares me.

I love thunderstorms as well along with the accompanying sound of rainfall. The only thing I don't like about them is how they can distress a pet.

I used to love thunderstorms until a cousin had her computer, phone and tv ruined by a strike to power line connected to her house. I like to watch the lightning but the thunder makes me jump!

I used to love thunderstorms until a cousin had her computer, phone and tv ruined by a strike to power line connected to her house. I like to watch the lightning but the thunder makes me jump!

Forgot to mention...I also enjoy a good surge protector with every thunderstorm.

I love lightening and thunder. Sure loud noises & bright lights mess up my nervous system. But it's part of Mothernature & as long as I'm not in immediate danger, it's cool.

New Threads

Top Bottom