• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Farewell Atlantis – what would you like to watch in the Doctor Who slot?

AGXStarseed

(The following is not written by me, although I have added my own stuff at the bottom).

AA8ThiI.img

Goodbye, Atlantis, we hardly knew ye. Once this second series comes to a close, the boisterous if unlovably featherweight action-fantasy will be no more, thanks to the BBC’s “difficult” decision to send it to the knacker’s yard of expensive, Saturday-night Doctor-Who alternatives. There it will join Merlin, which managed a respectable five series, and Robin Hood, which limped forlornly to three. And, like them, there it will be forgotten, alongside the inevitably shortlived Twitter campaign to see it renewed on Amazon, Ripper Street-style.

The issue of what to with the Doctor Who slot when Doctor Who isn’t on is a persistent stone in the shoe of the BBC. Since the Doctor’s rebirth in 2005, the corporation has dredged folklore for popular myths and legends, in the hope that updating them with spry, plucky, improbably good-looking young male leads will eventually pay dividends. Since it has also displayed an almost compulsive habit of killing these shows off, it clearly hasn’t yet.

So how do you solve a problem like the Doctor Who slot?

Make more Doctor Who
It’s simple: fill the Doctor Who void with Doctor Who, milking the Doctor Who teat until it’s an arid, depleted hickory nut. In practice, this is of course untenable – Doctor Who’s 14-episode run (if you count various specials) is already generous by British standards, and expanding it even to a US-style 22-episode series would stretch the actors and production teams beyond breaking point. Capaldi would pack it in. Moffat would have to sacrifice Sherlock. The show would inevitably suffer filler episodes of sub-Love and Monsters terribleness. Audiences would soon tire. Doctor Who would die. The world would end. Still, you can bet this idea’s been considered at some point.

Make a Doctor Who spinoff
The long-awaited introduction of a female Time Lord, perhaps? Clara’s post-Doctor exploits in the same vein as the The Sarah Jane Adventures? Madame Vastra kicking the neon snot out of all manner of Victorian alien ne’er-do-wells? It’s the next-best thing to the Tardis whooshing across our HDs, could use different writers, actors and production teams and, like Torchwood, could veer off in a direction all of its own while retaining a borrowed fistful of the magic of its parent show. In fact, the BBC could just produce a more family-skewed series of Torchwood. Why don’t they just do that? Torchwood was brilliant.

Exhume more myths and legends
If it’s clearly broken, why fix it? The Musketeers would have bedded itself into the Saturday teatime slot perfectly but that ship has sailed. Instead we could have a throwaway fantasy-action series set in the world of the Roman gods, or Norse mythology. This is probably what will happen. ITV’s just nabbed Beowulf, so expect The Swashbuckling Adventures of the Young, Spry, Plucky, Improbably Good-Looking Pied Piper soon. Cancelled after one series.

An American import
People would protest: “What are we even paying a licence fee for?!” But, amid a dearth of alternatives, perhaps the BBC should be looking out for the next Agents of Shield, or Arrow, or Flash, or Gotham. The long-mooted but as-yet illusive Star Wars TV show, perhaps? Doctor Who is an established, popular franchise. Replacing it with another one makes sense. The only problem here is that the existing shows mentioned above are all, in their own unique ways, a bit rubbish. Imagine dross such as The Tomorrow People being on the telly every Saturday night. The pubs would be packed; the streets ransacked by rampaging hordes of entertainment-bereft kids setting fire to anything that isn’t already on fire. Or everyone would quietly watch something else on Netflix.

Take a risk
A homegrown intelligent, high-concept drama that isn’t based on anything or set in ancient something-or-other, with an established writer at its helm, a talented young cast and a steadfast belief placed in it by the BBC? Sounds perfect. Consider the recent cancellation of the superb In the Flesh, and then consider the likelihood of this happening in 2015. And ITV’s pratfalls with the not exactly cheap Primeval or the woeful Demons are a warning to anyone attempting something similarly ambitious on a Saturday night. Still, if money was no object, worth a try. Though, it has to be pointed out, money is definitely still an object.

Admit Doctor Who is irreplaceable and make Strictly five hours long
When Doctor Who is on, the family watches Doctor Who, even though one member of the family always feels the need to keep the others fully appraised of the extent to which they hate it. When Doctor Who isn’t on, the family can watch a new extended series of Strictly and enjoy the glamour of celebrities who have never danced dancing poorly, and celebrities who are semi-professional dancers dancing well. Anyone who doesn’t like Strictly can go and do one of the dozen or so alternative activities available to humankind. Meanwhile, the world keeps spinning interminably on its axis.

SOURCE: Farewell Atlantis – what would you like to watch in the Doctor Who slot?

---

My Opinion:
In regards to filling the slot, I've had mixed thoughts. I'll go through each of them with you.

1. 5 hours of Strictly...I'm just going to come out and say it loud and clear. No Way.

2. Making more series based on myths and legends probably wouldn't do it for me. I watched a few episodes of Robin Hood and wasn't overall fussed, while Merlin had my interest piqued for a bit but then tailed off sadly. As for Atlantis, I couldn't care less - was never interested in it.

3. A brand new drama sounds like a potentially good possibility – whether it's a series based off books or something written right off the bat. Of course, I'm sure we're all aware of how TV companies can often leave the mediocre stuff playing on our screens while getting rid of the more quality television.

4. An American export may work - but no guarantee. It's one thing watching repeats of older American shows that have gained followings over here like Friends or Two and a Half Men, etc. while it's something completely different to introduce a remake of an old American series or something completely new. The remake of The Tomorrow People has already proved that it doesn't always work.

One possible idea I've had from looking at this (which would also be a partly original idea) would be to expand the Marvel Universe further by creating a TV series in the U.K – based around some of the U.K heroes from the Marvel Comics such as Captain Britain, Union Jack, etc.

Admittedly, it would probably never happen due to copyrights and money, but it might have been good to see. Besides, we've already seen the first Union Jack - James Montgomery Falsworth - appear in the 2011 Captain America film (albeit without the U.J identity). We've also seen another reference to Union Jack in Iron Man 2, with one of the racers in the Grand Prix listing been a British racer called 'Chapman' – a nod to Joseph Chapman (who was the third man to assume the Union Jack identity).

5. In regards to Doctor Who or spin-offs, there is potential again. I remember back when the 50th Anniversary episode was getting close in 2013 and someone did an online April Fool's joke that said that Abslom Daak and the Star Tigers were going to get a television special beforehand. Would have loved to have seen that if it was true, but sadly it wasn't. Mind you, I don't think seeing the Dalek's second greatest enemy – a sadistic, alcoholic and psychopathic murderer, no less – hacking and slashing at the metal monsters would make appropriate viewing for families. Still, Daak has now entered the Doctor Who's TV canon from this cameo in episode 5 of Capaldi's series (Time Heist).

Aside from renewing Torchwood for another series, there is actually another potential route that could be taken: Make another Doctor Who series, but carry on with Paul McGann's version of the Doctor. He has only ever played the Doctor in the 1996 Doctor Who movie and in the 50th Anniversary prequel Night of the Doctor, while Paul himself has said he would be thrilled if the BBC ever asked him to come and do some more work on Doctor Who, so it would be good if they actually dedicated some TV time to him. Seeing some of his stories on the big screen, the return of old characters from the classic series such as the Humanised Daleks and Frobisher among others and just seeing this incarnation of the Doctor strut his stuff would be amazing. If all went well, the series could explore further and start going into the Time War – which we know the Eighth Doctor was a part of and which we have seen very little of.

"AGXStarseed, post: 190024, member: 2315"](The following is not written by me, although I have added my own stuff at the bottom).

AA8ThiI.img

Goodbye, Atlantis, we hardly knew ye. Once this second series comes to a close, the boisterous if unlovably featherweight action-fantasy will be no more, thanks to the BBC’s “difficult” decision to send it to the knacker’s yard of expensive, Saturday-night Doctor-Who alternatives. There it will join Merlin, which managed a respectable five series, and Robin Hood, which limped forlornly to three. And, like them, there it will be forgotten, alongside the inevitably shortlived Twitter campaign to see it renewed on Amazon, Ripper Street-style.

The issue of what to with the Doctor Who slot when Doctor Who isn’t on is a persistent stone in the shoe of the BBC. Since the Doctor’s rebirth in 2005, the corporation has dredged folklore for popular myths and legends, in the hope that updating them with spry, plucky, improbably good-looking young male leads will eventually pay dividends. Since it has also displayed an almost compulsive habit of killing these shows off, it clearly hasn’t yet.

So how do you solve a problem like the Doctor Who slot?

Make more Doctor Who
It’s simple: fill the Doctor Who void with Doctor Who, milking the Doctor Who teat until it’s an arid, depleted hickory nut. In practice, this is of course untenable – Doctor Who’s 14-episode run (if you count various specials) is already generous by British standards, and expanding it even to a US-style 22-episode series would stretch the actors and production teams beyond breaking point. Capaldi would pack it in. Moffat would have to sacrifice Sherlock. The show would inevitably suffer filler episodes of sub-Love and Monsters terribleness. Audiences would soon tire. Doctor Who would die. The world would end. Still, you can bet this idea’s been considered at some point.

The long-awaited introduction of a female Time Lord, perhaps? Clara’s post-Doctor exploits in the same vein as the The Sarah Jane Adventures? Madame Vastra kicking the neon snot out of all manner of Victorian alien ne’er-do-wells? It’s the next-best thing to the Tardis whooshing across our HDs, could use different writers, actors and production teams and, like Torchwood, could veer off in a direction all of its own while retaining a borrowed fistful of the magic of its parent show. In fact, the BBC could just produce a more family-skewed series of Torchwood. Why don’t they just do that? Torchwood was brilliant.

Exhume more myths and legends
If it’s clearly broken, why fix it? The Musketeers would have bedded itself into the Saturday teatime slot perfectly but that ship has sailed. Instead we could have a throwaway fantasy-action series set in the world of the Roman gods, or Norse mythology. This is probably what will happen. ITV’s just nabbed Beowulf, so expect The Swashbuckling Adventures of the Young, Spry, Plucky, Improbably Good-Looking Pied Piper soon. Cancelled after one series.

An American import
People would protest: “What are we even paying a licence fee for?!” But, amid a dearth of alternatives, perhaps the BBC should be looking out for the next Agents of Shield, or Arrow, or Flash, or Gotham. The long-mooted but as-yet illusive Star Wars TV show, perhaps? Doctor Who is an established, popular franchise. Replacing it with another one makes sense. The only problem here is that the existing shows mentioned above are all, in their own unique ways, a bit rubbish. Imagine dross such as The Tomorrow People being on the telly every Saturday night. The pubs would be packed; the streets ransacked by rampaging hordes of entertainment-bereft kids setting fire to anything that isn’t already on fire. Or everyone would quietly watch something else on Netflix.

Take a risk
A homegrown intelligent, high-concept drama that isn’t based on anything or set in ancient something-or-other, with an established writer at its helm, a talented young cast and a steadfast belief placed in it by the BBC? Sounds perfect. Consider the recent cancellation of the superb In the Flesh, and then consider the likelihood of this happening in 2015. And ITV’s pratfalls with the not exactly cheap Primeval or the woeful Demons are a warning to anyone attempting something similarly ambitious on a Saturday night. Still, if money was no object, worth a try. Though, it has to be pointed out, money is definitely still an object.

Admit Doctor Who is irreplaceable and make Strictly five hours long
When Doctor Who is on, the family watches Doctor Who, even though one member of the family always feels the need to keep the others fully appraised of the extent to which they hate it. When Doctor Who isn’t on, the family can watch a new extended series of Strictly and enjoy the glamour of celebrities who have never danced dancing poorly, and celebrities who are semi-professional dancers dancing well. Anyone who doesn’t like Strictly can go and do one of the dozen or so alternative activities available to humankind. Meanwhile, the world keeps spinning interminably on its axis.

SOURCE: Farewell Atlantis – what would you like to watch in the Doctor Who slot?

---

My Opinion:
In regards to filling the slot, I've had mixed thoughts. I'll go through each of them with you.

1. 5 hours of Strictly...I'm just going to come out and say it loud and clear. No Way.

2. Making more series based on myths and legends probably wouldn't do it for me. I watched a few episodes of Robin Hood and wasn't overall fussed, while Merlin had my interest piqued for a bit but then tailed off sadly. As for Atlantis, I couldn't care less - was never interested in it.

3. A brand new drama sounds like a potentially good possibility – whether it's a series based off books or something written right off the bat. Of course, I'm sure we're all aware of how TV companies can often leave the mediocre stuff playing on our screens while getting rid of the more quality television.

4. An American export may work - but no guarantee. It's one thing watching repeats of older American shows that have gained followings over here like Friends or Two and a Half Men, etc. while it's something completely different to introduce a remake of an old American series or something completely new. The remake of The Tomorrow People has already proved that it doesn't always work.

One possible idea I've had from looking at this (which would also be a partly original idea) would be to expand the Marvel Universe further by creating a TV series in the U.K – based around some of the U.K heroes from the Marvel Comics such as Captain Britain, Union Jack, etc.

Admittedly, it would probably never happen due to copyrights and money, but it might have been good to see. Besides, we've already seen the first Union Jack - James Montgomery Falsworth - appear in the 2011 Captain America film (albeit without the U.J identity). We've also seen another reference to Union Jack in Iron Man 2, with one of the racers in the Grand Prix listing been a British racer called 'Chapman' – a nod to Joseph Chapman (who was the third man to assume the Union Jack identity).

5. In regards to Doctor Who or spin-offs, there is potential again. I remember back when the 50th Anniversary episode was getting close in 2013 and someone did an online April Fool's joke that said that Abslom Daak and the Star Tigers were going to get a television special beforehand. Would have loved to have seen that if it was true, but sadly it wasn't. Mind you, I don't think seeing the Dalek's second greatest enemy – a sadistic, alcoholic and psychopathic murderer, no less – hacking and slashing at the metal monsters would make appropriate viewing for families. Still, Daak has now entered the Doctor Who's TV canon from this cameo in episode 5 of Capaldi's series (Time Heist).

Aside from renewing Torchwood for another series, there is actually another potential route that could be taken: Make another Doctor Who series, but carry on with Paul McGann's version of the Doctor. He has only ever played the Doctor in the 1996 Doctor Who movie and in the 50th Anniversary prequel Night of the Doctor, while Paul himself has said he would be thrilled if the BBC ever asked him to come and do some more work on Doctor Who, so it would be good if they actually dedicated some TV time to him. Seeing some of his stories on the big screen, the return of old characters from the classic series such as the Humanised Daleks and Frobisher among others and just seeing this incarnation of the Doctor strut his stuff would be amazing. If all went well, the series could explore further and start going into the Time War – which we know the Eighth Doctor was a part of and which we have seen very little of.

I would like a proper remake of Battlestar Galactica with villains who look like proper robots so I can cheer when the heros blow them into little bits and pieces. Not some stupid remake wear I need a magnifying glass to figure who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Some people need to go back to film school, now the good guys are never mean and look nice and help old ladies accrost the street. And the bad guys look like something rotten that crawled out of a dumpster behind a costume factory...

Torchwood is a great Dr Who spinoff and IMO is, in some ways, even better, perhaps as it's a little darker and more serious.. though you're always gonna get that hickory nut-esque problem rearing its withered husk of a head.. though Paul McGann did make a good doctor and that was a wicked Tardis interior, even if The Master's acting was some of the worst I've ever seen (Cringes at the memory).
Only my taste, of course, bring on Agents of SHIELD and Flash, though I wasn't as impressed with Arrow or Gotham..
We had Eureka for.. was it four seasons(?) and Warehouse 13.. I mean! Why cancel them for goodness sake? They were pure gold!

Definitely a good idea! I've just watched The Ultimate Spiderman animated series, which involved several Marvel characters and SHIELD. I think there's vast potential here! :D
How about more Star Trek? If you're a fan of the books, there're well over 600, including a number of ships, crews and storylines outside TV.. The Starfleet Core of Engineers (SCE) is one of my favourites with over 60 books in its repetoir.
I'd also like to see more of the gritty Terminator series, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, why, oh why did they cancel that after just 2 seasons? Lots of potential for post Judgement Day storylines alone and, again, not to mention several books..
Money and ratings is a strange game though, I recall reading that Warehouse 13 was cancelled, even though it had more ratings than (I can't remember) what took its place.. so caution there..
Again, only my taste, but if Strictly, X-factor and their ilk were all the entertainment available, I'm afraid my TV would be dark and gathering dust for eternity :eek:.. as it is, I pretty much only watch US downloads anyway..

..Late edit: I forgot to mention Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.. he also wrote Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. two brilliant books.. dare I say, even better than Hitchhickers? They'd either make two awesome films or, given decent writers and cast, a fantastic series if you're looking for the Risk Factor :D

Last edited:
Torchwood is a great Dr Who spinoff and IMO is, in some ways, even better, perhaps as it's a little darker and more serious.. though you're always gonna get that hickory nut-esque problem rearing its withered husk of a head.. though Paul McGann did make a good doctor and that was a wicked Tardis interior, even if The Master's acting was some of the worst I've ever seen (Cringes at the memory).
Only my taste, of course, bring on Agents of SHIELD and Flash, though I wasn't as impressed with Arrow or Gotham..
We had Eureka for.. was it four seasons(?) and Warehouse 13.. I mean! Why cancel them for goodness sake? They were pure gold!

Definitely a good idea! I've just watched The Ultimate Spiderman animated series, which involved several Marvel characters and SHIELD. I think there's vast potential here! :D
How about more Star Trek? If you're a fan of the books, there're well over 600, including a number of ships, crews and storylines outside TV.. The Starfleet Core of Engineers (SCE) is one of my favourites with over 60 books in its repetoir.
I'd also like to see more of the gritty Terminator series, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, why, oh why did they cancel that after just 2 seasons? Lots of potential for post Judgement Day storylines alone and, again, not to mention several books..
Money and ratings is a strange game though, I recall reading that Warehouse 13 was cancelled, even though it had more ratings than (I can't remember) what took its place.. so caution there..
Again, only my taste, but if Strictly, X-factor and their ilk were all the entertainment available, I'm afraid my TV would be dark and gathering dust for eternity :eek:.. as it is, I pretty much only watch US downloads anyway..

..Late edit: I forgot to mention Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.. he also wrote Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. two brilliant books.. dare I say, even better than Hitchhickers? They'd either make two awesome films or, given decent writers and cast, a fantastic series if you're looking for the Risk Factor :D

I agree with you Spiller good ideas, I think a Terminator series starting from the beginning of the war against humanity could be interesting.

I agree with you Spiller good ideas, I think a Terminator series starting from the beginning of the war against humanity could be interesting.

I'd love to see the effects of the multiple time-travelling from The Future's point of view.. something of that was hinted at in The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but obviously Skynet created itself and the War by sending the first terminator back in the first place, so it could just start from there anyway.
Oooo, I wished hard for a second Highlander film and, years later, one appeared (a bit iffy round the edges, but my wish came true). :)
Time to start wishing for this now.. :D

I'd love to see the effects of the multiple time-travelling from The Future's point of view.. something of that was hinted at in The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but obviously Skynet created itself and the War by sending the first terminator back in the first place, so it could just start from there anyway.
Oooo, I wished hard for a second Highlander film and, years later, one appeared (a bit iffy round the edges, but my wish came true). :)
Time to start wishing for this now.. :D

That would be cool Spiller, but I also just like seeing toasters get blown up, death to the CPs.:cool::rocket:

New Threads

Top Bottom