• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Family Relationship

mon120591

I've been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism. I have a lot of issues with the relationship I have with my Mom. She knows I have Autism, but, doesn't seem to accept the fact. I'm perfectly capable of holding a job, but I can't drive, and probably won't ever be able to. My mother can't seem to comprehend that. No matter how many times or different ways I try to explain it to her, she just doesn't get it. And she keeps telling me that if I would just learn how to drive, I wouldn't have to deal with taking busses everywhere (which I'm fine with). Any suggestions on how to maybe get her to understand?

Moms can be annoying in this field. I can hardly drive either. I can't remember all the rules when I'm thinking about all the crazy people on the road with me because I can't multi-task. For example, this evening I was trying to recall an episode name and number of Star Trek and I started swerving off the road. Instead of doing both things at once like a normal person, I did them both half as well as I normally would have. Anyway, tell your mom that she isn't affecting you by incessantly trying to convince you that you are not living up to a certain potential she has set for you. Moms seem to think sometimes that children with ASD are "damaged" in some way and try to deny it. I don't know if this is the circumstance, but it very well could be a possibility

It is both possible and common that she sees this as a failure of some kind, and has difficulty admitting it. Let her know that it is OK and that you are just different but unique. If she see's that it is or can be a positive thing, she may be more accepting.
We focus very well on our interests and tend to do things very well. We are reliable in that we tend to follow routines. We look at situations very logically, and tend to see solutions where others tend to see only problems.
Help her to see the love.

New Threads

Top Bottom