• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Failed again...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I submitted a photo series to a local contest... Emerging Photographers Showcase

Yesterday was the day they were going to notify the winners, didn't hear a thing back... So I guess I didn't make the cut... :(

I never seem to make the cut, despite all my best efforts

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you. I wouldn’t say you failed, though, although I’m sure that’s not much of a consolation.

The fact you took the photos for a series in the first place is a good thing - lots of people never get around to doing something like that. It's not a failure to not win a competition (especially as there are generally hundreds to thousands of entries). Try not to let it put you off something you love. And, if it helps, I entered a short story competition a while back and didn't win.

I'm just trying to even feel successful and anytime something like this happens it doesn't help me any.... And it always seems to happen...

I'm sorry things didn't go as well as you'd hoped... Please, don't let it deter you. You're a talented individual and you're doing what you love. I hope a part of you is doing photography for you, rather than seeking validation from some subjective panel who can't possibly know how much you put into it. Keep going, keep trying and one day someone will see how great your photos are.

I'm just trying to even feel successful and anytime something like this happens it doesn't help me any.... And it always seems to happen...
I understand the feeling and it does make you feel like you're doing something wrong, or that your work isn't good enough, but the whole area is so subjective, that's not the case. It's based around, for example, what kind of tone the person or people judging the competition were looking for (which is largely an unconscious preference they have). When you have one person or a small number of people judging something, their tastes can be very particular and so what you made may just not have been what they were looking for, despite being good. Try not to focus on the competition now it's over, although it's perfectly reasonable to feel disappointed, but focus on what you want to do next. Having another goal to work towards can really improve your mood, I find.

Art is subjective. But so is how it is judged, competitively speaking.

It isn't your art that needs questioning. Though perhaps you should reconsider competing with it. One can be skilled or talented with or without public adulation.

Unlike art itself, win or lose, competition isn't for everyone. Something that took me a while to figure out. That continued competition would eventually kill one of my hobbies, so I gave up competing rather than give up my hobby.

Last edited:
I know I've done similar posts before, I just always struggle with what I perceive as a lack of success in this area... And maybe I'm trying to manufacture success, admittedly even when I entered I didn't think I had much of a chance...

I talked once with one friend who was part of competition jury (different one), he told me that the decision was made mostly about what they felt people would want to purchase, not just how "good" the photo is... And I have evolved in the last few years into an approach that tends to blur the lines between genres so I know it's hard to peg me down which probably doesn't do me any favours...

The same friend in the previous paragraph has told me that he thinks photo judging has become too rigid, and doesn't reward someone who steps outside of the rules a little, and I know I'm one of those people

Some will say to adjust style to what everyone wants, but I'm too stubborn, in some ways I blaze my own trail but get very little recognition for that...

The same friend in the previous paragraph has told me that he thinks photo judging has become too rigid, and doesn't reward someone who steps outside of the rules a little, and I know I'm one of those people

Some will say to adjust style to what everyone wants, but I'm too stubborn, in some ways I blaze my own trail but get very little recognition for that...

The art is what makes such competitions enjoyable. The politics that go with them? Not so much. :(

Last edited:
I submitted a photo series to a local contest... Emerging Photographers Showcase

Yesterday was the day they were going to notify the winners, didn't hear a thing back... So I guess I didn't make the cut... :(

I never seem to make the cut, despite all my best efforts

Don't know how it is with photography, but I have entered a good many art competitions. I've won one, and placed third in another, but let me qualify that, I've entered at least forty or more competitions.

The first place win was associated with an illustrators guild contest which I belonged to. You pay a membership fee and they post free lance jobs that you can submit your portfolio to, they also post contests. You could look into joining one of these types of associations or groups, if you are so inclined.

www.calgarycameraclub.ca
www.centralalbertaphotographicsociety.com
http://www.calgaryphotoartsociety.com/
Calgary Amateur Photographers Meetup (Calgary, AB)

The art is what makes such competitions enjoyable. The politics that go with them? Not so much. :(

I don't play games well, and don't follow rules well, I just do my thing.

You wouldn't believe how many people are lining up to message me on Instagram to "make me famous", but it's all just games I don't want to play.

I'm aware through other people of methods to get more hits, but that alone is almost a full-time job.

Don't know how it is with photography, but I have entered a good many art competitions. I've won one, and placed third in another, but let me qualify that, I've entered at least forty or more competitions.

The first place win was associated with an illustrators guild contest which I belonged to. You pay a membership fee and they post free lance jobs that you can submit your portfolio to, they also post contests. You could look into joining one of these types of associations or groups, if you are so inclined.

www.calgarycameraclub.ca
www.centralalbertaphotographicsociety.com
http://www.calgaryphotoartsociety.com/
Calgary Amateur Photographers Meetup (Calgary, AB)

I know of those groups, I belong to a different local camera club, Foothills Camera Club, with lots of history (going back to 1957), I choose my associations carefully, takes too much energy to belong to too many different clubs or groups... I'm rather tied up at present with the Foothills club as I'm the treasurer

And even in that club I don't think anyone knows what to do with my photos, I don't win much, hardly ever, even when there are only 16 photos to compete against in my competition group... I still pay my membership, lots of good people to associate with...

Fail your way to success

By the law of averages, you'll get it one day.

What's the possibility of the contest being rigged i.e the judges not having integrity?

You may not have won a contest today, but your work is quality. I can see you have a thing for lines, color, and contrast. I could easily see your pictures being used as representations of life, some candids and some still-life. It's hard to be objective about your own work. I'm sure you know that. I think your pictures are great. Keep going - you'll have an excellent, extensive collection of superior shots.

You may not have won a contest today, but your work is quality. I can see you have a thing for lines, color, and contrast. I could easily see your pictures being used as representations of life, some candids and some still-life. It's hard to be objective about your own work. I'm sure you know that. I think your pictures are great. Keep going - you'll have an excellent, extensive collection of superior shots.

I agree with @Bolletje in that you didn't fail. That you weren't selected is not failure; it just means they have their own opinion about what they like.

But still no one seems to get me, it's a rather circular discussion right now, and I do but don't care... I've always wrestled with absolute proof of how good I am, and I haven't had much absolute proof, and I know there is always more to learn... :sunglasses:

But still no one seems to get me, it's a rather circular discussion right now, and I do but don't care... I've always wrestled with absolute proof of how good I am, and I haven't had much absolute proof, and I know there is always more to learn... :sunglasses:

"Absolute proof" becomes a moot point when the subject at hand is so subjective. Compounded by the politics of most any contest. You're looking for a conditional answer in an equation where there is none to be found. Where you're essentially "chasing a windmill".

In essence you need to stop wrestling, period. Whether you choose to continue to compete, or simply withdraw from the process.

Be Sherlock77- not Don Quixote. ;)

Last edited:
Being an artist means a lifetime of rejection. I think about van gogh whenever i lose an art competion (which is 100% of the times i enter since i was a child). about how he was depressed and felt no one would love his work, when in reality they were beauitufl pieces. I feel very discouraged about my art as well, but i know that is part of the trade, and in a way emboldens me to know i feel what many millions of artists feel. Never giving up is what will make you succeed. it is hard but one day you will be maybe 60 and a photographer and have beautiful things. 60 seems a long time away but 60 years of non stop experience sounds exciting. like im also curious what my work will look like at that age, and i know how if i give up now because of my failure, i will never reach any form of my potential.

Being an artist means a lifetime of rejection. I think about van gogh whenever i lose an art competion (which is 100% of the times i enter since i was a child). about how he was depressed and felt no one would love his work, when in reality they were beauitufl pieces. I feel very discouraged about my art as well, but i know that is part of the trade, and in a way emboldens me to know i feel what many millions of artists feel. Never giving up is what will make you succeed. it is hard but one day you will be maybe 60 and a photographer and have beautiful things. 60 seems a long time away but 60 years of non stop experience sounds exciting. like im also curious what my work will look like at that age, and i know how if i give up now because of my failure, i will never reach any form of my potential.

This is an old post now, but I was recently accepted for a photography magazine submission about portraiture for the fall... I won't get money for it but they liked it enough still...

I still don't have an enormous artist CV of grand accomplishments, something I wish I had, and I have made some attempts...

New Threads

Top Bottom