• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Factories

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Factories are so interesting and have a certain kind of beauty – they can have great aesthetic value and usually have a defined and efficient purpose - form meets function. And when they die, they become beautiful abandoned places. Perhaps, not everyone’s idea of beauty, though.

1659482588808.jpeg

New England, USA

1659482956787.jpeg

New England, USA

1659483669156.jpeg

Canada, near Montréal

(I admit, I am turning a blind eye to whatever is coming out of these factories – probably something not good for Earth, but therein is an example of something that is disastrous and beautiful at the same time… to me, anyway.)

1659484818727.jpeg

1659484858713.jpeg

1659484956384.jpeg

As somebody whose career outside of research has been in manufacturing I appreciate those places, especially those fundamentally powerful structures of heavy industry. Just a trip on something like the Chicago Skyway gives you a glimpse of raw power. The factory that astounds me is the Ford River Rouge complex. Raw materials came in and automobiles went out. During summers away from U of M I worked at Chrysler Lynch Road Assembly.

Not sure if it counts, but I love watching videos of people exploring abandoned factories, especially when they're on the verge of falling apart or caving in. Super beautiful decay, especially when nature starts reclaiming the territory!

I love industrial "things"! Industrial themes in my photography... There is an old school industrial park here that I love going for walks in, sometimes a cold winter day even...

Bonnybrook 01.jpg

This place has an interesting history. Right now it's the Norwegian Industrial Workers Museum and Vemork Hydroelectric Plant. Earlier it was Vemork Heavy Water Plant. The first factory in the world to mass-produce heavy water. And that was the place the nazis attacked and took control over because they needed the heavy water to build a nuclear bomb. :eek: Hitler with nuclear bombs, how scary is that.

They quickly produced the amount of heavy water they needed and loaded it on a railway ferry to transport it from the factory to a port in Skien city and from there it would be shipped to Germany. People from the local resistance movement attacked the factory to shut it down and they also snuk on board the ferry and blew it up. Sinking it and all the barrels with heavy water. Had they not stopped that ferry and those barrels, the outcome of WW2 could have been very different.

1659523701968.png

1659525749199.png

Last edited:
People from the local resistance movement attacked the factory to shut it down and they also snuk on board the ferry and blew it up. Sinking it and all the barrels with heavy water. Had they not stopped that ferry and those barrels, the outcome of WW2 could have been very different.
Wasn't there a movie about that plot?

Wasn't there a movie about that plot?

Yes, two actually. "The Heroes of Telemark" from 1965. With non other than Kirk Douglas himself.

And "The Battle For The Heavy Water" from 1948.

And a TV mini series; The Heavy Water War: Stopping Hitler's Atomic Bomb (TV Mini Series 2015) - IMDb

It really is an amazing story, the saboteurs had to skydive from planes and land in the wilderness, then they had to go far on skis and not get noticed by the nazis to get to the factory. There were nazis all over that area. Then they had to sneak into the factory and plant explosives. Heroes.

Had they not stopped that ferry and those barrels, the outcome of WW2 could have been very different.

Perhaps. However you're forgetting one other probable "hero" in this equation. Dr. Werner Heisenberg himself. Who was most likely to be instrumental in delaying his fellow scientists from keeping their mission to create an atomic bomb for Nazi Germany. Without the proper recipe having all the key ingredients wouldn't have mattered.

"Goldberg and Powers, however, say that there is increasing evidence that Heisenberg was indeed telling the truth. ‘I think that Heisenberg guided that programme into a closet until the war was over,’ says Powers."

Perhaps. However you're forgetting one other probable "hero" in this equation. Dr. Werner Heisenberg himself. Who was most likely to be instrumental in delaying his fellow scientists from keeping their mission to create an atomic bomb for Nazi Germany. Without the proper recipe having all the key ingredients wouldn't have mattered.

"Goldberg and Powers, however, say that there is increasing evidence that Heisenberg was indeed telling the truth. ‘I think that Heisenberg guided that programme into a closet until the war was over,’ says Powers."

I think a big difference is that he worked for the nazis and no one knows for sure now what he did or planned to do. And the other guys did something very heroic, there's no doubt about what they did. All I know is that he worked for nazis and had ties to the nazi party.

I think a big difference is that he worked for the nazis and no one knows for sure now what he did or planned to do. And the other guys did something very heroic, there's no doubt about what they did. All I know is that he worked for nazis and had ties to the nazi party.

Like I said, if you can't make the recipe, the ingredients don't matter. Though it does seem a number of scientists are willing to corroborate that Heisenberg knew how to split the atom. Considering their other scientific successes that far outpaced the Allies, it wouldn't surprise me that Heisenberg delayed as much as he could as time went on in the war. Another factor to consider is something that Heisenberg himself admitted. That Germany simply did not have the logistics or infrastructure comparable to the efforts exerted in the Manhattan Project.

Yet for all the German's scientific and technological prowess, they still couldn't win the war. Sometimes one could not determine where treason became patriotism when it came to such individuals. Even party members. Those who could see the writing on the wall and were willing to do something about it...at great risk.

But they did win the space race. ;)

Last edited:
Some more interesting factories to visit:

Also, there is this. Of course, these re-purposed factory spaces could still be haunted.

I prefer the ones that preserve the aesthetics of the factory, but either way it’s nice to see new life given to old spaces.

Overall, I think the ones from your post do look far more interesting.

Also, there is this. Of course, these re-purposed factory spaces could still be haunted.

I prefer the ones that preserve the aesthetics of the factory, but either way it’s nice to see new life given to old spaces.

Overall, I think the ones from your post do look far more interesting.

I'm afraid my interest is somewhat veiled for newer members here. My interest being exclusively paranormal rather than historical or aesthetic interests. Places which likely involve industrial fatalities.

New Threads

Top Bottom