• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Extremely selective of fabric textures?

Coupe

Is anyone else selective about what kind of fabrics/cloth textures they come into contact with? Not just with clothes (although that's a big part of it) but with blankets, bedding, pillowcases, sofas, stuffed animals, etc?

I love very soft, fluffy, cuddly and smooth fabrics/coverings, such as raschel, velvet, polar fleece, minky, flannel, and velboa, and soft/stretchy/comfortable kinds of polyester. I have a Cars blanket that is raschel, and after eight years the fabric is "worn out" just the way I like it, although I LOVED it when it was new and luxuriously soft (at least it felt "luxuriously soft" to me) - when I got it for Christmas, I wrapped it around me and walked everywhere like that. XD I also tend to choose stuffed animals and plushies that have minky, fuzzy or velboa-like covering...the older I get, the less tolerance I have for "stiff," "scratchy" cheaper covering. For example, I love Disney Store plush b/c of the super-soft minky/velboa fabric they're made from (most of them) and I love Tsum Tsums b/c they feel like the warm, fuzzy inside of a hoodie.

Also, I don't know much about different fabrics and what their categories/names are (except for the ones I mentioned above) - I mainly just categorize them by how they feel to me: "scratchy," "itchy," "tight," "Soft," "cuddly," "huggable," "snuggly," "pinchy," "fuzzy," fluffy," "ticklish," etc.

I also don't like wool very much, or the fake lace that used to line the dresses and socks that my mom used to make me wear to church and special occasions when I was younger. the lace felt like it was stitched in with the kind of plastic threads you find keeping old furniture together, and it would scratch against my sensitive skin and leave red marks when I took it off (partially b/c of irritation/chafing, and partially b/c I would scratch to get rid of the itching).

Does anyone else feel this way about particular fabrics/coverings for clothing and other items?

Anytime I go clothes shopping, I have to run my fingers over whatever material I'm looking at trying on. If the texture is "off" in any way, I know I won't be comfortable in that item of clothing, so it stays on the shelf. But then, anytime I go to a leather or fancy clothing store, I love running my hands over the furs and can tell very easily whether or not they are real. I much prefer the feel of real fur, fake fur makes me feel icky and shuddery. I have this problem with my dogs, too. Both dogs have a different texture to their fur. One has skin issues, but is very soft and fine-furred while the young one has abnormally wiry fur for a German shepherd. This makes it difficult for me to really enjoy petting either dog, although the young one's coat is getting better with baths, nutrition, and lots of brushing.

I have a WW2 army blanket that belonged to my uncle. It is very warm, but not very soft. I've managed to wash it to an acceptable softness, but there are still days I have to have a sheet or fleecy blanket between my skin and that wool army blanket. Yes, texture is a major problem in my world. Sometimes the feeling of even soft clothes on my skin is too much to handle and I can't wait to get home and strip because I just can't stand the feeling of ANYTHING on my skin!

I have a WW2 army blanket that belonged to my uncle. It is very warm, but not very soft. I've managed to wash it to an acceptable softness, but there are still days I have to have a sheet or fleecy blanket between my skin and that wool army blanket. Yes, texture is a major problem in my world. Sometimes the feeling of even soft clothes on my skin is too much to handle and I can't wait to get home and strip because I just can't stand the feeling of ANYTHING on my skin!

I had one as well that once belonged to my parents. I gave it up though. I loved the heaviness of the blanket, however the texture itself was far too aggravating to the surface of my body whether I was wearing clothing or not. I don't always have such a sensation, but with that particular item it seemed unavoidable.

I've always found that, what I call 'soft and fluffy' fabrics, make me feel more relaxed and calm.

For bedding, I prefer flannelette sheets as it helps me relax.

Summer is a problem though, as far as bedding goes. The 100% cotton, with a very smooth texture, is cooler to touch than the flannelette fabric, which helps me to feel cool when it's hot, but it also wakes my senses up and makes me feel alert, which isn't ideal when trying to sleep. I have a polycotton duvet cover, that has a nice pattern on it but that is dreadfully rough and scratchy, so I can't have it next to my skin.

New Threads

Top Bottom