• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Expressing gratitude?

Fluttershy

I feel emotions quite often, but I don't always display them right. My parents got me a laptop for Christmas, and I'm really, really grateful but I feel guilty as well. I can't fully describe it. I gave them both hugs afterward which seemed to make them happy.
I just can't help but feel guilty for some reason though. My mom mentioning my dad trying to "buy my love" might be it. She's always saying he thinks I don't like him right when I think we're fine. He works a lot so I rarely see him but I thought we were getting along okay. I don't really open up to either of them and I had a resentment of him for a long time that I'm just recently starting to get over more. We still don't have much in common, but I'm getting off topic now.
I'm just not sure what to do to make this guilty feeling go away.

Maybe write a thank you card for them saying that you're very grateful and will get lots of use out of it? I used to write thank you cards as a kid and they're perfect for when you can't always immediately verbalise your gratitude and exact feelings about gifts other than just 'thank you'.

Fluttershy: I think you may have a similar problem to what I have. In putting thoughts into words. At least you are able to handle pyhysical contact, which I also struggle with.

I think Grapesicle idea of writing a thank you card is a great way for you. By writing down your thoughts and feelings you may find a way to express how you feel.

Have you tried the thought process quiz in the game section? it might help you understand how you think, I found I was a visual thinker, you may be the same.

Last edited:
Fluttershy: may be it is also just part of your learning process at the moment. You are still learning about yourself, as judge said there is no need to be hard on yourself.
May be that is how you are.

You expressed gratitude and it sounds like they acknowledged it just fine. No need to be so hard on yourself under the circumstances.
I agree, if you gave them hugs after giving you a gift like a laptop you are doing fine in terms of showing gratitude. If that was me there'd be an awkward 'gee thanks, its perfect" and nothing else, I dislike hugging people and apart from a simple 'thanks' or 'ta' I am pretty terrible at showing gratitude, luckily my family have know how to read my body language so they know I am grateful.

Fluttershy: I think at the moment as long as you are making progress in understanding yourself you have no reason to be hard on yourself.

Compaired to some of us you have plenty of time to live the best you can for society (To make a contribution). Some of us will struggle, some will succeed, but we all try to help each other to do our best.

Thank you for the suggestions. You guys are probably right. I've just been overthinking because I feel guilty. I think I might try to do something nice for my dad.

Also I took the thought process quiz. I got Associative Visual Thinker, although I had a few answers for every section so maybe I'm more accurately.. "Scatterbrained" :p

Thats ok Fluttershy; I was not able to answer some of the questions as well. It is just a small part of learning who you are.

I would also convey advice in overpassing what has taken place in the past. Your parents should possess awareness to you impediment of emotion.
Also I took the thought process quiz. I got Associative Visual Thinker, although I had a few answers for every section so maybe I'm more accurately.. "Scatterbrained" :p
Conjointly, I allege the INTJ personality of the MBTI Personality Type Test, so, in coherence to being an aspie, I am more governed towards progression rather than reminiscence.

New Threads

Top Bottom