• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Explaining That Mascots Are Not Real Animals

Lorie L.B.

Hello! My 17-year-old high-functioning autistic son absolutely LOVES the giant costume animals that he calls "mascots," no matter whether they are Loony Toon characters or those used by sports teams. Since he was little, he has been fascinated by them and has thought they are real, very large animals. It was cute then, but now I find myself feeling guilty for telling him "Yes, they're real" when he asks. I believe he is using this as a coping skill, but I am not sure how long this should go on. I tried to explain this to him months ago, and you would have thought someone had died, because he was so distraught. Is this unhealthy? If anyone has some insight on the situation, please share. Thanks!

I had a friend on the spectrum who has dreamt of Odin and ever since he has started believing in the Norse Gods, every "sign" he would get "from them" would make his belief stronger.

Would it help for your son to see real humans coming out of such suits, maybe in a video if not possible in reality? That might help. I think verbally guiding his focus on anti-signs may be helpful.

But, let him grief for a while, he might make peace with the fact after a while. If he doesn't and you figure the grief is over, then you can try what I suggested.

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand what he means?

Sometimes real animals are used to play as a mascot, not necessarily people in costumes.

butler.jpg

hi-res-4bd0bc959cd5a2fe736163c6698a6ccf_crop_exact.jpg

d530163626ea29ac5c2809a83100af0f.jpg

They are also mainly made to signify real animals, no unexisting/fantasy ones.

Last edited:
Maybe worth defining what you and he both mean by ‘real’.
Yes, they are real in the sense they are physical people inside the physical costume. They can be touched, therefore they are real.
Are they alive? The people are, the costumes aren’t. They have ‘life’ as long as the actors remain, just like puppets. If he’s comfortable with puppets, just call them big puppets and the puppeteer is inside. Maybe get him a basic puppet if he still can’t relate.
He’ll need to face this reality as one day he’ll see someone getting in or out.

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand what he means?

Sometimes real animals are used to play as a mascot, not necessarily people in costumes.

butler.jpg

hi-res-4bd0bc959cd5a2fe736163c6698a6ccf_crop_exact.jpg

d530163626ea29ac5c2809a83100af0f.jpg

They are also mainly made to signify real animals, no unexisting/fantasy ones.
Yes, he says that they are real and no person is inside. This has developed over time. I believe his asking about there being a human inside is his way of not accepting the truth.

I had a friend on the spectrum who has dreamt of Odin and ever since he has started believing in the Norse Gods, every "sign" he would get "from them" would make his belief stronger.

Would it help for your son to see real humans coming out of such suits, maybe in a video if not possible in reality? That might help. I think verbally guiding his focus on anti-signs may be helpful.

But, let him grief for a while, he might make peace with the fact after a while. If he doesn't and you figure the grief is over, then you can try what I suggested.

Thanks for your input.

Maybe you can arrange for him to meet one, that you have privately briefed on the back story. The mascot could perhaps offer your son a chance to try on the costume. What would be a traumatic situation otherwise, might instead be a fun occasion.

It sounds like you have already explained that they are not real. I think it is just a matter of time for him to process it. I would no longer agree to the misconception that they are real, but perhaps not make a big deal of it either. If he asks just say something matter of factly. One also might say it is ok to pretend they are real as long as you know inside that they really are not. You might also explain the people inside are also pretending to be the characters.

Even when I was a kid I always knew mascots were just people in costumes and are just as fictional as the cartoon character they may be based on, like in Disneyland.
Some people are terrified of costumed characters, even NT adults. And these all you hear about is how they're furries and they should all be euthanized*sigh*. I think mascots are really cool and they're the only real reason I have ever watched sports.

Hello! My 17-year-old high-functioning autistic son absolutely LOVES the giant costume animals that he calls "mascots," no matter whether they are Loony Toon characters or those used by sports teams. Since he was little, he has been fascinated by them and has thought they are real, very large animals. It was cute then, but now I find myself feeling guilty for telling him "Yes, they're real" when he asks. I believe he is using this as a coping skill, but I am not sure how long this should go on. I tried to explain this to him months ago, and you would have thought someone had died, because he was so distraught. Is this unhealthy? If anyone has some insight on the situation, please share. Thanks!
Quit lying to your son. We tend to take things literally, especially from peeps we trust. He's 17. Time to move on ( I mean you not him). He would be smarter if you told him the truth. From the get go. Let go of the leash and let him undo his collar. We can free ourselves if you'd all let us.

New Threads

Top Bottom