• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Explaining myself to my teacher

Seckottek

My teacher in English requested that everyone write her a letter explaining ourselves and I don't want to tell her I have aspergers but I also want to explain things about how I can say things that appear rude or disrespectful and about my hyper sensitivity but I really don't want to point towards aspergers in anyway because my dad and I agreed it's best if we avoid telling people who don't need to know.

I think the teacher should know, as it could (hopefully) give her an idea of what you struggle with. Though I think you're right for not writing it in the letter, since she may read the notes aloud to the class or something. :p

You and your dad agreed not to tell people who don't need to know. I think your teacher might qualify as someone who does need to know.

You and your dad agreed not to tell people who don't need to know. I think your teacher might qualify as someone who does need to know.
Well with my school I've learnt it's best just to keep things with a very minimal group of teachers for example when my sister commit suicude it was meant to be a fairly private matter because that's just how my family are with pretty much everything so we only told the school because I'd be missing school but my teacher decided to tell the class that my sister died from cancer

So then if you tell her you have AS she'll inform the class that you have a concussion?

I think I'd write the essay describing a the most significant symptoms, without using any pathologising words like "anxiety", "autism", and the like.

I agree with ExplosiveTMT and Ste11ares. In my opinion, I think that you should let your teacher know because it might give her an idea of how to approach you, and your strengths and struggles. If you don't want to explain your Asperger's in the letter, maybe you could ask her for a private talk with her after the lesson face-to-face and explain your autism then but ask her to keep it private and confidential, and express that you don't want anyone else other than her to know?

If you aren't officially diagnosed, then you don't have to tell her if you don't want to. If you are officially diagnosed, and if there's documentation on your profile, well then she knows anyway and it's her job to know when she received documentation and if she has access to it. You can write about some things about yourself. You can keep it positive. In fact, I would highly recommend that route. If there's anything that is an urgent, serious matter, then maybe a 1-1 discussion in-person would be more suitable to have your concerns addressed as best as possible.

New Threads

Top Bottom