• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

experiencing placebo

laurie

laurie (he/him)
does anyone else sometimes convince themselves that they're ill when they're not or that they get a headache from certain things when in reality there isn't a possibility that they could. i don't really know what this could link to or even if it does in the ASD community but i just though i'd ask if anyone could relate.

for example i went swimming a few days ago and the chlorine messed up my nose and i started sneezing. this triggered the placebo effect in my mind that i couldn't differentiate from reality; that i had a cold and was sick. i know this is a placebo fantasy because it only actually gets worst when i entertain the thought of possibly being sick, and will go away if i dismiss it.

it aggravates me as well because i get bad sensory overload and general stress when i'm in public and there is a cacophony of people chattering, cars, motorcycles revving etc. and as a result i've looked into noise cancelling headphones and often wear airpods but i've managed to convince myself that i'm getting a headache from wearing airpods. theres a possibility that this is an actual result of it but if someone told me that it wasn't possible to get a headache from it and i was making it up i'd believe them and be able to get the thought out of my mind.

this will probably sound silly but i thought i'd ask if anyone relates or knows what it could stem from.

I don't believe "placebo effect" is what you are describing.

"The placebo effect is when a person’s physical or mental health appears to
improve after taking a placebo or ‘dummy’ treatment."
Placebo effect - Better Health Channel

"The placebo effect is when an improvement of symptoms is observed, despite using a nonactive treatment. It's believed to occur due to psychological factors like expectations or classical conditioning. Research has found that the placebo effect can ease things like pain, fatigue, or depression."
Placebo Effect: What It Is, Examples, and More

It sounds like health anxiety. I'm not an expert on noise cancelling earphones, or airpods, and to reassure yourself, could you visit or call the doctor to feel better about this.

Definition of nocebo
: a harmless substance or treatment that when taken by or administered to a patient is associated with harmful side effects or worsening of symptoms due to negative expectations or the psychological condition of the patient
Definition of NOCEBO

Another way of describing it might be that you're very suggestible.

I relate to this, I find that I'm pretty easily influenced to experience certain things. It makes me second guess myself often, and it makes it hard to describe things accurately to doctors.

Hypochondria?

You're asking what it could stem from, and it could have a specific psychological origin of which none of us could possibly know. It could also be how you express your anxiety, apparently excess anxiety. Possible treatments include:

1. Therapy
2. CBT Therapy
3. Medication
4. Research "hypochondria" and go from there.

I've never specifically studied or been taught about hypochondria, so I'm guessing there's a substantial amount of relevant information of which I'm unaware.

Yep lol. I hate being asked about certain symptoms on health questionnaires or similar - as soon as they say "do you have X" I immediately start to experience X.

I know it's all in my head but then I start questioning "well is it really all in my head or do I really have X? Now I don't know and I don't want to be dishonest."

I don't think I'm alone in this. Better to ask the person to list any symptoms without suggesting anything and go from there.

New Threads

Top Bottom