• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Experience of Official Diagnosis.

I'm loving this thread. I have doubts I'm going to fail assessment, I feel I have a mix going on too swirling, deep panicked thoughts. I drop things, awI didn't realise the getting lost thing could be adhd. I get lost all the time in these situations too. Sometimes a bit spun out as focus.

I think it was not just the getting lost, but the reading instructions and not taking in the detail.

I glance at the map - ok I know where that is, and set off.

Wrong building!

Look at the calendar - Ah it's xxx street, building 2.

Wrong building - I read ahead and saw level 2, when it's building 3.

ASD alone should have focused on the details, but my brain gets bored with boring details, and fills in the boring blah blah without me having to read it.

It seems to think it's being helpful.

It gets out of the way for special interests as then it's not bored and can hyperfocus.

Plays
I think it was not just the getting lost, but the reading instructions and not taking in the detail.

I glance at the map - ok I know where that is, and set off.

Wrong building!

Look at the calendar - Ah it's xxx street, building 2.

Wrong building - I read ahead and saw level 2, when it's building 3.

ASD alone should have focused on the details, but my brain gets bored with boring details, and fills in the boring blah blah without me having to read it.

It seems to think it's being helpful.

It gets out of the way for special interests as then it's not bored and can hyperfocus.

Wow. What a response. I love it. That's exactly how it happens for me. Skip over the boring stuff. And off you go.

I got lost on the M4 Motorway, I just got so confused with the signs and junction numbers. I was supposed to go to Cardiff elf, and ended up on the Severn bridge. Basically nearly in England.

I'm so bad at explaining. You word it so well.

Wow. What a response. I love it. That's exactly how it happens for me. Skip over the boring stuff. And off you go.

I got lost on the M4 Motorway, I just got so confused with the signs and junction numbers. I was supposed to go to Cardiff elf, and ended up on the Severn bridge. Basically nearly in England.

:D Thanks.

I love English and putting language together is a bit stimmy for me I guess - it certainly makes me feel good.

I was delighted when a post in this thread had each line progressively longer than the last by approximately the same distance.

I may be ASD, but I'm weird as well:)

I once missed Middlesborough and hit Newcastle, so I feel your pain. This was when I drove 50k miles per year so more practice does not help.

The ADHD meds have made me very calm, and they have reduced the anxiety - maybe not directly, but I think the whirling swirling thoughts were often the sponsors of the anxiety.

I still feel it but I can control it - the Prozac helped that a lot too.

My wife is concerned because I'm just not "myself"

Meaning I now appear a bit normal :D

Hope she won't get bored with the new guy!

The ADHD meds have ma
The ADHD meds have made me very calm, and they have reduced the anxiety - maybe not directly, but I think the whirling swirling thoughts were often the sponsors of the anxiety.

de me very calm, and they have reduced the anxiety - maybe not directly, but I think the whirling swirling thoughts were often the sponsors of the anxiety.

The new guy :D Ha Ha

So is new guy the empty shell on autopilot cause of meds. Or is new guy the you guy because you dropped the fake you's ? :)

Assumed that Aussies were extremely anti-authoritarian, or so I've heard. Now I'm sad, normal is well normal. Whatever works for you Steam.

Last edited:
I actually think I'm acting a bit more mental, or at least more focused.

The meds have got rid of depression, reduced anxiety and slowed random cognition. Not affected autism at all.

The meds have got rid of depression, reduced anxiety and slowed random cognition. Not affected autism at all.
Can you describe what you feel like on the Meds in simple language ,for some reason I can't understand adjectives if somebody is trying to describe what they feel I don't know why.
I've rarely been calm i'd love to know what it feels like thanks

It never occurred to me that my previous 1999 ASD diagnosis might be overturned on re-assessment two decades later but it was. Partly because the medical criteria defining autism has changed & partly because my re-assessment & post-diagnostic counseling was massively flawed, plus I never got the sessions of cognitive behavior therapy I was supposed to have, due to the maladministration of my health authority's mental health services, which seemingly cannot cope.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's & ADD in 2014-15.

I STILL walk get lost driving within my OWN TOWN.

I bump into furniture. A lot.

Yesterday, I literally WALKED INTO this library shelf. I nearly upturned all the DVD's on it.

I was very upset.

You can see how the dvd shelf was slightly overhanging the walkway. However, I should have been able to judge that gap.

Attachments

• IMG_20170913_111236.jpg
    IMG_20170913_111236.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170913_111158.jpg
    IMG_20170913_111158.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 0

WHICH meds are they? Give me the generic base name not the branch off names as meds have a lot of patent names

So I am curious, was the diagnostic process very test and measurement oriented or was it more like an interview where the doctor asked about symptoms? I'm curious because when I first was referred for diagnoses I had one doctor who just kind of read through the list of symptoms and asked me if I had them, then another doctor who was more interested seeing what symptoms showed in a situation where I was trying to mask them. Both of them seemed very subjective about the whole thing though they both agreed with my initial self diagnoses. In the last few years when my kids went in for diagnoses under the DSM-V everything seemed super measurement oriented... lots of tests and discussions of how they scored on different tests. It has always made me whether my doctors were making it up as they went along how to diagnose me or whether the tests for adults at that time under the DSM-IV were just that way. Since then general practitioners who I have told have always seemed to take my word for it and I haven't been challenged on the validity of the diagnoses, so I suppose that is fine.

I've not had any tests at all.

My psychologist wants to go through the criteria in our next appointment which I guess to make sure he's correct.

The psychologist let me talk most of the time, with gentle guidance about what to talk about. I steered the talk a bit, and talked about everything I thought was relevant as well as explaining about thoughts and feelings as they happened.

I would have been wary of tests - I would imagine a skilled practitioner would be much more accurate using observation than a standardised test?

New Threads

Top Bottom