• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Experience of Official Diagnosis.

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I decided a few months ago to get an official diagnosis, and I want to tell you what I did and how it went in the hope it's useful to someone.

The reasons for going official were;

1. I want to get involved in neurodiversity movement and change things, and I felt a small nagging anxiety that I might not be autistic, and the late night voices told me I was a fraud. I got sick of the doubt.
2. I thought I may also be ADHD, and who knows what else, so things were a bit complicated, and I felt like I was full of swirling, whirling soup of disorders.

My plan of attack was to get a referral and then go out, all guns blazing with what I thought, what I'd found and researched.

This worked out very, and I had the perfect ADHD example on the way to the appointment where I took a wrong turn, and then went to the wrong building.

Twice.

The Psychologist noticed the shutdowns that are plaguing me seem to be triggered by anxiety more than anything else, and that I definitely have ADHD on top of the ASD. I also have depression, and social anxiety.

I'm now sat at psychiatrist waiting to get assessed for ADHD meds.

So all this has been very helpful so far, the only downside is I kind of enjoyed being self diagnosed in order to stand by other self diagnosers.

Now though, I've joined the elite of the official diagnosed, AND I have the prestigious badge of ADHD.

It's lovely on this high horse, in the rarefied air of the neurodiverse royalty :D

Only teasing - don't anybody get their knickers in a twist.

That's brilliant.

We need something new to stand on nelsons column.
Can you handle heights?
Is it Okay if we encase you in concrete?

One's royal preference is for gold plated adamantium.

I'd like a large hat with a propeller on top, and an attitude of benevolence while I hand out wisdom to passing proles.

Just had a sneaky test of my meds and they seem to have stopped my thoughts and calmed me down.

Weird thing for a stimulant to do.

My head is as empty as my pockets after the psychiatrist appointment.

At the end of the appointment she was talking about something or other, and I excitedly jumped back to a topic 15 minutes ago that I just remembered.

She laughed and said "Your very aspergers!"

She then apologised, but I took that as a compliment anyway, because it is one.

Being lost twice reminds me of me a lot.

Also wrong building, couldnt find the place, wrong week, right country with a memorised map of the wrong country,off i went...

By the way, your diagnosis means you're now in charge. You can officially order us about.
If you can find us.

Also wrong building, couldnt find the place, wrong week, right country with a memorised map of the wrong country,off i went...

By the way, your diagnosis means you're now in charge. You can officially order us about.
If you can find us.
Large Islay malt whisky please, and since you're paying have one youself.

Seriously though, the shrink said those symptoms were ADHD not ASD.

There's meds for that.

I am waiting for the call from a psychiatist for that all important meeting. Hopefully it will be this month, but probably next month, although the receptionist told hubby ( social anxiety stops me from going in on my own) and she said that because I came with a letter from my dr, that I may get to "jump" the que.

Decided to not go with the hope of being diagnosed with aspergers, since, here in France, they do not recongise it and I could not cope with them saying that I should stop reading too much on the internet etc.

I hope to get a formal diagnosis of social anxiety and if the therapist is discerning enough and I can understand what he or she says to me, perhaps, I will get: you are so aspergic - moment; but highly unlikely as French do have a habit of not looking beyond.

Sad that you have turned traitor on us who are self diagnosed, but glad you have your confirmation ;):)

If you can find us.

Oh gosh I thought I was the only person who can actually be lost in the wrong building, geez that is embarrassing... I did that going to class once and even found a room with the right number on the door and went in and sat down... I noticed I was in a very wrong place about 5 minutes into the class. I wanted to die in that chair actually.

I decided a few months ago to get an official diagnosis, and I want to tell you what I did and how it went in the hope it's useful to someone.

1. I want to get involved in neurodiversity movement and change things, and I felt a small nagging anxiety that I might not be autistic, and the late night voices told me I was a fraud. I got sick of the doubt.
2. I thought I may also be ADHD, and who knows what else, so things were a bit complicated, and I felt like I was full of swirling, whirling soup of disorders.

My plan of attack was to get a referral and then go out, all guns blazing with what I thought, what I'd found and researched.

This worked out very, and I had the perfect ADHD example on the way to the appointment where I took a wrong turn, and then went to the wrong building.

Twice.

The Psychologist noticed the shutdowns that are plaguing me seem to be triggered by anxiety more than anything else, and that I definitely have ADHD on top of the ASD. I also have depression, and social anxiety.

So all this has been very helpful so far, the only downside is I kind of enjoyed being self diagnosed in order to stand by other self diagnosers.

Now though, I've joined the elite of the official diagnosed, AND I have the prestigious badge of ADHD.

It's lovely on this high horse, in the rarefied air of the neurodiverse royalty :D

Welcome to the dysfunctional world of AS/ASD... I vote you as King of this Aspie gathering. I was not near as much enthused as you are... But your lightheartedness makes me somehow happy! Thanks for throwing a different perspective on this nightmare... : )

I now give you a safety cone as your crown.
Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 7.03.43 AM.png
But maybe not... I like the aviator hat and goggles... : )

Why, then, 'tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison. Well, then it isn't one to you, since nothing is really good or badin itself—it's all what a person thinks about it. And to me, Denmark is a prison.

Oh gosh I thought I was the only person who can actually be lost in the wrong building, geez that is embarrassing... I did that going to class once and even found a room with the right number on the door and went in and sat down... I noticed I was in a very wrong place about 5 minutes into the class. I wanted to die in that chair actually.
I had an appointment at an opticians of course I chose the wrong address ,it was a chain of opticians -there is my mother sitting waiting for me at the other optician establishment ,I could have dropped into a hole
Hospitals are nightmarish -they are like a rabbit warren

Why, then, 'tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison. Well, then it isn't one to you, since nothing is really good or badin itself—it's all what a person thinks about it. And to me, Denmark is a prison.
Hamlet ?

There is no good or bad but thinking makes it so,Horatio

At the end of the appointment she was talking about something or other, and I excitedly jumped back to a topic 15 minutes ago that I just remembered.

She laughed and said "Your very aspergers!"

She then apologised, but I took that as a compliment anyway, because it is one.

I thought that was normal. I realise more and more how often i do it, very confusing for people.
No introductions ie ' remember when we were talking about that....

Just straight in. Wondering why she doesnt understand. Surely it was obvious?
Reasling i do this helps me to straddle the gap between us sometimes.

Without falling into an arrogant trap of thinking someone,slow or stupid - really I wasnt really that clear.

Sometimes they are also stupid :)

It benefits me more in the long run if i don't think that way.

Twice.

Knickers in a twist over here Jk!! Makes me sad because they took away my dx. What other branch of medicine does that and can still be taken seriously? You HAD MS but no more! And they were rude as fk about it.

But glad they helped you

Knickers in a twist over here Jk!! Makes me sad because they took away my dx. What other branch of medicine does that and can still be taken seriously? You HAD MS but no more! And they were rude as fk about it.

But glad they helped you

I was quite cautious about who I chose, and I was prepared to disagree and find someone else.

Have you thought about seeing someone else? You seem to have been messed about too much and passed from pillar to post.

The funny thing is that my psychologist seemed to be thinking, ADHD, but wasn't sure about ASD and the psychiatrist seemed to be thinking ASD but not sure of ADHD.

I was sure of both, so i stated my case using plenty of examples, and I think that helped. I fit the criteria of the DSM closely for both.

It's been helpful, but I wouldn't allow them to be the gatekeepers to the world of autism for me, as they are only human and prone to mistakes in just a 45 minute appointment. I trust my research over many many hours more, and I'd trust yours too.

I thought that was normal. I realise more and more how often i do it, very confusing for people.
No introductions ie ' remember when we were talking about that....

Just straight in. Wondering why she doesnt understand. Surely it was obvious?
Reasling i do this helps me to straddle the gap between us sometimes.

Without falling into an arrogant trap of thinking someone,slow or stupid - really I wasnt really that clear.

Sometimes they are also stupid :)

It benefits me more in the long run if i don't think that way.

I like to see them (NTs) struggle to keep up.

I think it's good for their minds to have a nice work out.

They can have a normal, linear conversation in their own time.

If their talking to me, It's detailed, drifting monologue and excited tangent time.

I'm loving this thread. I have doubts I'm going to fail assessment, I feel I have a mix going on too swirling, deep panicked thoughts. I drop things, awI didn't realise the getting lost thing could be adhd. I get lost all the time in these situations too. Sometimes a bit spun out as focus.

New Threads

Top Bottom