• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive Function and Spending?

I'm not good with money, and it is totally an executive function thing. My wife even tried to go through the Dave Ramsay stuff a few years ago. When she asked me to help clarify a concept, I could give it to her in stated brilliance. Even made her more confused as to why I couldn't execute the concept.

I split my money up into different accounts/funds for different purposes.
  • My main account⁰ is used
    • to pay regular monthly bills,
    • to fund the following accounts, and
    • for savings.
  • My "larder" account¹ can only be used for food-type purchases.
  • My "firewall" account¹ (normally low balance) is for
    • internet purchases (including PayPal), and
    • (if unavoidable) authorized billing withdrawals.
  • My "catch-all" account¹² is for
    • unexpected expenses, and
    • (if big enough) fun stuff.
(That way I don't misspend money that is set aside for a particular purpose, thinking that I have more than I really do.)

⁰ Bills paid on-line only; no debit card, nor paper checks.
¹ Uses debit card.
² Uses paper checks.
Two other special accounts that we maintain:
  • "Gasoline" account¹,* and
  • "Supply" account¹,** for
    • cleaning agents &
    • toiletries.
¹ Uses debit card.
*For normal gas allowance. Special trips are funded by the "catch-all" account.
**My wife prefers to manage this fund as cash.
My wife even tried to go through the Dave Ramsay stuff a few years ago.
I have come to find out that my strategy is a variation of the "envelope" accounting system. Our credit union accommodates this arrangement better than previous, conventional banks did.

Handled all accounting, house purchases, etc. when married. Actually handled running his private MD office, and totally improved his cash flow. Then my ex went totally destructive and it turned into money war zone at end of marriage. He was destroying all of my valuables so l just changed tactics and he ran up his credit card. I paid for everything in cash at the end otherwise the debt would have been staggering. When l paid the amex, the payment would vanish on my card with my name. I would have to call a second time to pay. I think he was hoping l would leave with staggering debit then l would settle faster during divorce proceedings. (3 years to get him to settle). So l left pretty paranoid about financial things for many different reasons.
It's been tough, but l am feeling better and stress out way less then l use too. Credit cards actually triggered me but l finally got out of that destructive loop.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom