• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Excited and nervous as hell

In my truck driving class we had a retired airline pilot who flew the 747. He said, "Man flying a plane is easier than trying to master this shyte."

I'm not surprised, because an 80,000-pound 53-plus feet long beast doesn't have auto-pilot. It requires all the skill of the guy behind the wheel to make it work; starting, stopping, turning, everything is up to the driver. Even though a 747 is more complex, they have practically designed them to fly themselves. The pilot is almost a redundant component until there's a problem.

However, if you have power steering, an automatic transmission, and Direct TV, I don't know . . . :p
If I last 90 days, I may try giving flat bed a go. Those guys get to some really cool areas. Western has a flat bed division. I would have to get in better physical shape though.

When I was learning to fly,I was told that the propeller was a fan to keep the pilot cool...

My Dad told me that if it ever stops the pilot will start to get real hot :p

Flatbed isn't bad. The only thing is you have to fuss with the freight a little more since you have to make sure it's secure and loaded on the right place depending on what you're hauling. I've pulled flatbed doubles in southern California.

The two things I've not hauled are bulk liquid and livestock. There's no way I'd be a bull hauler. Besides having your load constantly moving around, you have to keep a separate logbook on the animals, plus you have to water and feed them. We stopped at a Petro truck-stop one night outside of Tuscon and was getting a good night's sleep until a bull hauler parked next to us. They mooed, kicked, banged, and soiled the side of our rig so bad that we had to wash it the following day. The guy I was with climbed out of the bunk in his drawers and moved the rig to the other side of the lot just to get away from them.
Wow! Yeah, I have no plans to ever do livestock. I almost got hired to haul pool water. The guy's insurance company vetoed it. Said I didn't have enough experience.

Pool water? Was a it tanker filled with fresh water for a place that had a well? The reason I ask is because the fellow I drove for used one of the bulk pneumatic tankers to fill his pool. He didn't need to, but he pressurized the tank and had the water come out like a fire hose. It was more than enough water to fill his above-ground pool, water the yard and garden, water the neighbor's yard, water . . . :rolleyes:
The truck was marked Pool Water on it and placarded as HazMat, ostensibly because the water was chlorinated. The truck was a day cab towing a full fledged tanker trailer.

Quick update: So, I've been out of an 18 wheeler too long and the time passed since tractor trailer school is more than a year. Therefore, I have to go down to Nashville for Refresher Training. It sucks because I hoped to be rolling by now and the little hiccup is going to bind me to Western Express for a year but it's all well and good.

The refresher training is free as long as I stay 1 year, otherwise I owe 2500. It's a gamble but mentally I am in a better place with thanks to modern chemistry. So I'll drive down south on Saturday at a leisurely pace.

Hmm, that actually sounds like a good idea and not a bad deal. There's no way I could get in an 18-wheeler now and safely pilot it. Oh, I have no doubt I could get it moving, but I'd be a hazard when trying to do intricate maneuvers. Also, I'd lose my mind looking for the clutch or splitter button.:confused:

Seriously, I know you'll do well!!! Give a shout if you get near Huntsville, AL. I'll pick up the tab for dinner!
Will do guy! It would be fun to meet up. I think you would probably be okay driving an 18 wheeler. Like riding a bicycle for guys like you. I'm looking forward to the notorious 45 and 90 alley docks. The 45 is easy. The 90 is a *****.

If if either of you gentlemen are ever near Dallas,Tx be sure to tell me. I would be happy to cover the dinner tab. :)

Will do guy! It would be fun to meet up. I think you would probably be okay driving an 18 wheeler. Like riding a bicycle for guys like you. I'm looking forward to the notorious 45 and 90 alley docks. The 45 is easy. The 90 is a *****.

Hmm, that actually sounds like a good idea and not a bad deal. There's no way I could get in an 18-wheeler now and safely pilot it. Oh, I have no doubt I could get it moving, but I'd be a hazard when trying to do intricate maneuvers. Also, I'd lose my mind looking for the clutch or splitter button.:confused:

Seriously, I know you'll do well!!! Give a shout if you get near Huntsville, AL. I'll pick up the tab for dinner!

The worst dock I had to back into was off Olympic Blvd. in downtown Los Angeles. It was early in my career and I was pulling a 27' dry-goods van. The place I had to back into had support columns, so I had to avoid those while backing in off that über busy street. I'd start backing in, the trailer would get crossed up, and I'd have to go around the block. Olympic Blvd. in downtown LA is not someplace you want to hold up traffic very long.

I once worked for my aunt in her store on East Olympic Blvd. Yeah, doing deliveries all over the LA area was a hoot. :eek:

But having great lunches in all those little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants was amazing. :)

Ah, so you know the area. The place I had to go to was off Alameda. I can't recall the name, but it was a thrill backing in, as you had one shot to get it right or you had to go around the block and start over. That was thirty years ago, so I'm sure it has changed since then. There used to be a little Mexican place off Olympic called "La Cantina." Did you ever eat there?

Ummm....that was 1974 for me. Those details elude me!

But the best Mexican restaurant in Walnut Creek Ca. was called "Maria-Maria La Cantina". ;)

Last edited:
There was a city near LA that I believe was named Walnut something or another. It seems like entire city was nothing but industry; I don't think people actually lived there.

Walnut Creek is in Northern California. A pretentious place that has redesigned its downtown to emulate Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive.

The Walnut I'm thinking of may just be "Walnut." It was one of those little burbs that's part of LA.

Yeah, it's only a couple of miles from Cal Poly Pomona. The LA area has always been just one enormous city to me. Endless asphalt. :eek:

Nah, not a setback. Consider it an opportunity. It would be better to hone your skills now than to find they're dull when you're trying to back into a crowded dock off a busy street. Reread my experience in LA and learn from it.;)

You're going to do great and we'll be looking forward to you uploading images after you get out there on the open road. It will give us the chance to enjoy the road with you.:D
Yes, I am looking forward to the classes and learning from them.

New Threads

Top Bottom