• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Even I Think My Brain is Weird

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
My brain just brings forth the weirdest things. I woke up after a dream last night and had this line from a song running through my head:

"I don't feel the need to give such secrets away"

Here's the thing: The song is from the 80s, but I haven't heard it for decades - 30 years maybe. And if you asked me to sing it, all I could recite is the chorus, not the verse this line is from. I never owned this song or album. I never tried to memorize this song and didn't really list to the words - I just heard it when it played on the radio.

So, all morning I've been thinking, "Why? I didn't even know that I knew that line. Why this line? Why now? What does it mean?"

The only answer I have is that somewhere in the back of my brain is the most spastically random, loose-steering, bumper car ever conceived. And if I don't have both hands tightly on the wheel at all times, it'll just pick a direction and hit the gas ... and I wind up getting mental whiplash from random stuff like this.

So, like the title says, even I think my brain is weird. Feel free to laugh with me, because that's all I can do about it.

The brain is only "weird" because even the best neuroscientists still don't fully understand how memories are made and stored. Sure, many have been able to identify the basic concepts of where and how, but I have yet to see any sort of full explanation anywhere in the literature.

I know some science fiction movies would like to suggest that some day we might be able to download someone's consciousness and memories into a computer or android, but right now, we have a rudimentary understanding, at best, of what makes us who we are as individuals.

Why do we suddenly remember things, seemingly "out of the blue", often a song or some other emotion-eliciting memory? Some have said that people with great memories of events do so because it also elicited an emotional reaction. The thought being that there is some importance of tying a life event with an emotion. There may be some truth to this, because, personally, I have far more memories of my childhood than my adulthood. Things were new and exciting as a child, and I was much more emotional. As an adult, I tend to remember more of those "epiphany" moments when I learned something new and important in my life.

All of this is quite interesting, for sure.

Just enjoy the ride, because you'll never get to compare notes with people who think you are too weird to talk to.

My brain just brings forth the weirdest things. I woke up after a dream last night and had this line from a song running through my head:

"I don't feel the need to give such secrets away"

Here's the thing: The song is from the 80s, but I haven't heard it for decades - 30 years maybe. And if you asked me to sing it, all I could recite is the chorus, not the verse this line is from. I never owned this song or album. I never tried to memorize this song and didn't really list to the words - I just heard it when it played on the radio.

So, all morning I've been thinking, "Why? I didn't even know that I knew that line. Why this line? Why now? What does it mean?"

The only answer I have is that somewhere in the back of my brain is the most spastically random, loose-steering, bumper car ever conceived. And if I don't have both hands tightly on the wheel at all times, it'll just pick a direction and hit the gas ... and I wind up getting mental whiplash from random stuff like this.

So, like the title says, even I think my brain is weird. Feel free to laugh with me, because that's all I can do about it.
Good song, Hall and Oates I can get stuck with a song line in my head too! lol now it will probably be this one!

New Threads

Top Bottom