• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Etiquette or “proper” manners you dislike

Many conventions of "proper" etiquette irritate me, but here are just a couple:
  • Saying "please" - a pointless word; you could remove it from a sentence, and that sentence's meaning wouldn't change; It's supposed to be "polite," but I've heard angry people throw it into their sentences to try to remain polite, while yelling or speaking irritably, so the lack of integrity annoyed me into discontinuing it, in my own speech/writing.
  • Formal dressing - RIDICULOUS! Why should I spend hundreds of dollars on uncomfortable, impractical clothing that's tedious to put on and take off? It's an arbitrary, irrational convention deemed to be "respectful," despite me treating people respectfully, no matter what I wear. It's independent of respect - it's just a mumpsimus! "Fitting in" is no excuse for formal attire, either - the insecurity of diversity-haters births the expectation that others must "fit in." Similarities and differences should be allowed to exist naturally, as long as they don't hurt anyone.

Formal dressing - RIDICULOUS! Why should I spend hundreds of dollars on uncomfortable, impractical clothing that's tedious to put on and take off? It's an arbitrary, irrational convention deemed to be "respectful," despite me treating people respectfully, no matter what I wear. It's independent of respect - it's just a mumpsimus! "Fitting in" is no excuse for formal attire, either - the insecurity of diversity-haters births the expectation that others must "fit in." Similarities and differences should be allowed to exist naturally, as long as they don't hurt anyone.
Totally agree. I never saw the point of things like ties - they have no practical application whatsoever. People get my respect because they earn it, not because they are dressed in a suit and tie. And for women, it's even more difficult, these silly high-heeled shoes that they are expected to wear, I have never worn those in my life. Can't walk in them - what's the point of a shoe you can't walk it?? Defeats the object, doesn't it? (rhetorical question).

Apart form table manners I mentioned in an early post, I also don't really get the whole thing about sending regards to people. I know that I'm supposed to do it, but rarely do - I don't remember and don't think that it's necessary - I don't need people to send me their regards through someone else and don't see much point in it, so it doesn't occur to me to send them to other people and I have to remember to do it to be polite and fit in, Then, when people send regards to me, I don't know what I'm supposed to say or do with it.

Then, when people send regards to me, I don't know what I'm supposed to say or do with it.

Know what you mean :)

I might have someone telling me " oh... [insert name]... Was asking after you"

(... And ..?)
:)

Always feels like there's information or a question missing from that statement.
As such I don't know what to do with it.

Having to say "fine thank you" when someone asks how you are in greeting, even when you've never felt less fine in your whole life.

That you should always forgive people, even when they did something really terrible to you and are not sorry at all, or they're only sorry because they got in trouble.

And also that you're supposed to say your sorry even when you really aren't. The only thing worse than no apology is an insincere apology.
(Of course, I need to stop saying sorry impulsively or when I haven't actually done anything wrong, which is one of the few Canadian stereotypes I have:))

That we should share everything, even if it's with that one kid who destroys everything they lay their fingers on and don't even take care of their own belongings.

That kids should hug and kiss adults even when they don't want to.

That you should always respect your elders, even when they are obvious buttholes. People of any age should be respected only if they are worthy of it.

(Controversial) Congratulating someone and acting happy for them when they announce their pregnancy. Getting pregnant is not an amazing accomplishment. Managing not to get pregnant when one is sexually active *is*.:rolleyes:

Making forced eye contact, or forcing yourself to smile.:D:mad:

New Threads

Top Bottom