• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employee with Asperger's: Discrimination, wrongful discharge claims go to trial...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

March 13, 2015
Employee with Asperger's: Discrimination, wrongful discharge claims go to trial

By Gregory L. Silverman

Soon after an employee provided his employer with information about his Asperger's syndrome, it informed him that his contract wouldn't be renewed because "Your Asperger's got in the way of your ability to interact with your boss, and we are tired of it."

Afterward, the employee brought claims of wrongful termination and discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The employer attempted to persuade the court that even if all the evidence he presented was true, the employee would still be unable to prevail at trial. Let's see how things turned out.

Background
Mark Bellerose began working as a custodian at Mont Vernon Village School in 2006. In May 2007, he received his only annual performance appraisal, in which he was rated both "Very Good" and "Outstanding" and received a total of 52 out of 55 points.

Over the course of his employment, Bellerose made a number of oral complaints to various people about the conditions at the school and his supervisor's failure to address them. For instance, he reported to a firefighter that his supervisor made no attempt to shut off the water supply to the school when the power was out for several days.

At other times, he voiced his concern about the school's maintenance practices to his supervisors and complained to members of the public about mold growing on classroom walls, ice dams on the school's roof, a failure to regularly inspect the smoke alarm system, and his supervisor's inadequate response (in his estimation) to other maintenance problems.

Bellerose received a warning about his failure to follow the "chain of command," but he later alleged that he hadn't been notified of a chain of command. After receiving the initial warning, he received a second written warning, in which he was reprimanded for failing to "complete the task of snow removal" during a holiday break.

However, he stated that there was no need to shovel because it didn't snow during that week. He eventually received a "final warning" for using profanity in front of a citizen and two children. To rebut that charge, he obtained statements from two other school employees who denied hearing him say anything inappropriate.

After learning that his Asperger's potentially qualified as a disability, Bellerose provided information about his condition to the principal, who asked, "Is this you?" Bellerose replied, "Yes."

Months afterward, the principal told Bellerose that his contract wouldn't be renewed because "Your Asperger's got in the way of your ability to interact with your boss, and we are tired of it." The following spring, he applied for, but was denied, a part-time custodian position at the school.

ADA discrimination
Relying on a report from a doctor who saw Bellerose in 2010, the school argued that he didn't have Asperger's during the relevant time period and therefore didn't have a qualifying disability under the ADA.

Bellerose presented a report in which an expert concluded that he does have Asperger's, which is a lifetime condition, and that it substantially limits life activities such as "learning, concentrating, thinking, communicating and social interaction."

The court concluded that the school district's evidence that it didn't renew his contract or rehire him for reasons other than his disability merely created a credibility determination for a jury to sort out at trial.

Bellerose also argued that the substance of his disclosure to the principal that he has Asperger's was enough to trigger the school's obligation to initiate the interactive process. The ADA requires an employer to engage in the interactive process with an employee after he or she requests provision of a reasonable accommodation or when the employer knows that one is needed.

The court concluded that Bellerose's submission of documents explaining Asperger's to the principal, and their resulting dialogue ("Is this you?" "Yes"), wasn't an explicit request for a reasonable accommodation that triggered the school's duty to engage in an interactive process.

The court noted that Bellerose didn't allege that his provision of the information was related in any way to his warning letters or his conduct, nor did he ask for any accommodation during his employment.

Wrongful discharge
For his wrongful termination claim to proceed to trial, Bellerose had to establish that the school terminated him in bad faith and that he performed acts that public policy would encourage. Because he made statements critical of school maintenance to many individuals outside the school and the school cited his statements in his written discipline, the court concluded that he had provided sufficient evidence that the school's proffered reason for not renewing his contract was pretextual (an excuse for discrimination).

The court allowed Bellerose's wrongful discharge claim to proceed to trial because the school district failed to challenge the public policy element of his claim. Mark Bellerose v. SAU #39, U.S. District Court for the District of N.H. Opinion No. 2014 D.N.H. 265 (December 29, 2014).

Bottom line
This case should remind employers that an employee with Asperger's may be able to point to sufficient facts to prove that he or she has a disability within the meaning of the ADA. The condition's effect on a broad scope of life activities, such as "learning, concentrating, thinking, communicating and social interaction," could pose a unique dilemma for employers that are trying to satisfy their duty to reasonably accommodate employees.

Gregory Silverman, an editor of New Hampshire Employment Law Letter, can be reached at [email protected].

SOURCE ARTICLE: Employee with Asperger's: Discrimination, wrongful discharge claims go to trial

I worked in the pharmacy department in my local hospital, and my manager slapped me, the other person present(her son who also works there) gave a statement saying she was joking. As a girl with aspergers I didn't know if I was reading the signals wrong and she really was joking, or if she was serious. But I didn't feel comfortable with her actions, and I left because I was informed that I would still be working under her as a manager. Is it normal for aspergers to get in the way of work

I worked in the pharmacy department in my local hospital, and my manager slapped me, the other person present(her son who also works there) gave a statement saying she was joking. As a girl with aspergers I didn't know if I was reading the signals wrong and she really was joking, or if she was serious. But I didn't feel comfortable with her actions, and I left because I was informed that I would still be working under her as a manager. Is it normal for aspergers to get in the way of work
...I don't think you were the issue in that pharmacy. o_o

Playing or not, slapping is not okay.

What a piece of garbage...

I don't know how old you are & that is relevant to me because if you were under 18 when this occurred (as an Aspie, say under age 30) I think you should have reported the 'slap' to your parents & have them spoken to your employer.

First of all, slapping another person in the workplace is never acceptable behavior.

Did she lightly slap your hand? If it was only one time it would not be a big deal although it does cross the boundary of normal & also professional behavior; & she should have been politely instructed (phrased as a request) to please not do that again.

If it was your hand, but the slap stung or hurt, &/or she did it on more than one occasion, then it becomes a bigger deal & she needed to be informed (by higher management or Human Resources, if necessary) that THAT is inappropriate & unacceptable behavior, & NOT to do it again.

Did she slap your face? Touching another person's face is typically a very personal act & an invasion of most people's personal space. For that reason slapping a person in the face can feel extremely emotionally offensive beyond whatever physical pain is felt. It is NEVER acceptable to slap someone's face in the work place whether they are a co-worker, a subordinate or a supervisor. There would be no justifiable reason or excuse for your manager to have slapped your face.

Anyone who considers slapping another person at work to be some sort of joke has a very poor or strange sense of humor.

Bubbles, I wouldn't want to work with or for this woman either.

I don't know how old you are & that is relevant to me because if you were under 18 when this occurred (as an Aspie, say under age 30) I think you should have reported the 'slap' to your parents & have them spoken to your employer.

First of all, slapping another person in the workplace is never acceptable behavior.

Did she lightly slap your hand? If it was only one time it would not be a big deal although it does cross the boundary of normal & also professional behavior; & she should have been politely instructed (phrased as a request) to please not do that again.

If it was your hand, but the slap stung or hurt, &/or she did it on more than one occasion, then it becomes a bigger deal & she needed to be informed (by higher management or Human Resources, if necessary) that THAT is inappropriate & unacceptable behavior, & NOT to do it again.

Did she slap your face? Touching another person's face is typically a very personal act & an invasion of most people's personal space. For that reason slapping a person in the face can feel extremely emotionally offensive beyond whatever physical pain is felt. It is NEVER acceptable to slap someone's face in the work place whether they are a co-worker, a subordinate or a supervisor. There would be no justifiable reason or excuse for your manager to have slapped your face.

Anyone who considers slapping another person at work to be some sort of joke has a very poor or strange sense of humor.

Bubbles, I wouldn't want to work with or for this woman either.

I'm 19 years old but I have very supportive parents, yes it was on my arm and I had a red mark and it stung, I was told to go to the police and when I did other members of staff had to write statements even though half of them were on lunch at the time, the police officer said it looked as if they wrote them last minute and discussed what they all should say and they all said she was joking, now ive lost my job and I'm in a very stressed financial position, I've been crying so much because of the stress, and am facing overload right now, I feel like I need some help. I'm finding it hard to get another job, and it's all because my manager hit me, I never laid a finger on her

I'm 19 years old but I have very supportive parents, yes it was on my arm and I had a red mark and it stung, I was told to go to the police and when I did other members of staff had to write statements even though half of them were on lunch at the time, the police officer said it looked as if they wrote them last minute and discussed what they all should say and they all said she was joking, now ive lost my job and I'm in a very stressed financial position, I've been crying so much because of the stress, and am facing overload right now, I feel like I need some help. I'm finding it hard to get another job, and it's all because my manager hit me, I never laid a finger on her
I am so sorry this happened to you. No one should strike another person like that at work, ever. If that had happened to me I personally would have gone to the Human Resources department (since she was your manager) instead of to the police given that it was highly inappropriate & wrong, but to me would not have reached the level of an assault which required police intervention. That is my opinion but others may disagree.

It is very disappointing that the hospital/employer did not reprimand this woman/your manager despite her claiming it was a joke. Her son's confirmation of the events would have been conflicted given that he's her son so could be biased. She likely claimed it was a joke in order to save herself from even bigger trouble, but joke or not, slapping your arm hard enough to sting & leave a red mark was WRONG & inappropriate. It is stupid IMO to try to label something like that a 'joke' because it would not be seen as 'funny' or humorous to anyone.

It's truly a shame & I too would be angered & upset. I know that I would try to work on letting it go & move beyond what happened since it's in the past & can't be undone or changed now. I would think of it as a life lesson because we all have negative things that occur in our lives that we can only use to learn & personally grow from.

There is another discussion thread on AC about having a nemesis. Harrison wrote a very enlightening reply which I think could be applicable to this event so will post the comment & link as a follow-up here.

Fortunately you have supportive parents. That is a blessing you can appreciate as not everyone has supportive parents they can rely on.

It is very stressful to be out of work & trying to support one's self. Do you still live at home, or could you move back home until you start working again & also accumulate some savings (as a future emergency fund)?

Bubbles, Here is that thread:

Do you have a nemesis?
Do you have a nemesis? | AspiesCentral.com

Harrison54 wrote:
"I am an avid believer in Jung's explanation of archetypes, therefore I love it when a nemesis raises it head as it pushes me into developing the counterpoint to it.

As a taoist I believe that we are all manifesting both 'hero' and 'shadow/nemesis' qualities at any given moment. The difference being in who is viewing our actions. Our nemesis is there to teach us, I believe they will often manifest the darker aspects of ourselves so that we can both observe and counteract them. They are the best teachers :) "

Did you ever disclose you disability to senior management of this hospital?

Regardless, I would be talking to an attorney versed in labor and disability law. It sounds like you were fired without just cause.

Is it normal for aspergers to get in the way of work

It depends...

In my case, I recently resigned from a teaching position at a start-up here in Sydney, as they refused to pay me. Some colourful exchanges took place, when he referred to me as a "student".

New Threads

Top Bottom