• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Empathy vs Sympathy (video)

I've seen it in the past, and I have issues with it.
Really, it's criticizing people for being socially awkward when someone else is suffering, and for saying the wrong things. This is people who do care about the suffering person, but who don't know the right things to say.
Well, we Aspies are famous for that.

Also, if I am suffering, I would rather that my loved ones don't feel my pain. Especially my family members. I don't want them to be suffering too. Also, when I am suffering, the last thing I need to do is to deal with the drama that occurs when my family is over-emphasizing. I need calmness, at such a time. And perhaps the person who cares but who isn't feeling the same thing themself (the sympathetic non-empathetic person) is the best person to provide such calmness.

But, restating my main qualm with it: It's criticizing people for being socially awkward when someone else is suffering, and for saying the wrong things. This is people who do care about the suffering person, but who don't know the right things to say.
Well, we Aspies are famous for that.

The sympathetic character also seems a bit harsh to me. I believe you can feel sympathy without being flippant about it.

The sympathetic character also seems a bit harsh to me. I believe you can feel sympathy without being flippant about it.
It was a caricature. I don't think that sympathy is something that is actually harsh or flippant-sympathy means caring about someone, after all.

It was a caricature. I don't think that sympathy is something that is actually harsh or flippant-sympathy means caring about someone, after all.

I don't think it is either, it just seemed like that was how it was being portrayed.

I thought the illustrations were clear.
I didn't feel like it was a criticism against
any group of people. I thought it was a
demonstration of what sorts of behavior
might be useful.

Sometimes dont think so future.... I have been comic illustration, but i get work done there..... Now days i only do my album covers...

But im katastrofical if i walk ooutside alone...... Beter to be home....

1logoPi.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom